• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First build...help me!

Meatshield

Hi! I'm trying to build a new rig for under $1300. Over the past month or two, I've been looking over every website and forum I could to compare parts. This is what I've come up with, & all the parts are from newegg. Would you guys please give my build a look over and give some advice? I'm looking to buy either this month or maybe next month. I'll be playing at 1080p and just plan on doing some minor overclocking down the road. Thanks!

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black
$149.99

Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
*I don't know much about mobo's, but from what I've read this is one of the few boards with pci express 3.0 compatibility. Is this something I should try to get if possible for future upgrades?
$179.99

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
$205.99

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
*The Frio's and V6 models look absolutely gigantic
$25.99

GFX: GIGABYTE GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 GeForce GTX 570
*Seems like a really good design with a good overclock already applied
$315.00 after rebate

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
$114.99 after rebate

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
$59.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
*Is this a good option?
$51.99

DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
$18.99

$99.99

Grand total: $1,263.55 shipped

I'm most uncertain about the ram & mobo choices

Processor just a few i7's all AMD's gone to friends
Motherboard Mother F%#@& am I board
Cooling It's called Alberta Canada.
Memory Don't remember.
Video Card(s) Hope for blckjack
Storage hurt my toe's when droped
Display(s) never big enough
Case I think they call it a lost case
Audio Device(s) What speek up I'm old.
Power Supply Good old coffee
Software when you get this old everything is soft
Benchmark Scores Always on the bench never on the field.
The mother board got a 9.5 in TPU from cadaveca. You should read his review. All in all looks like a great build.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10

Meatshield

About the only thing I'd say is it might behoove you to get a pair of hdds. A system and data drive. Having a data drive is going to be more useful than you initially realize. Get some 300+Gb drive you can use as a system drive until you can buy a high performance system drive (or ssd).

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Those two monitors come down to personal preference I think. Do you like glossy, or non-glossy?
Also, nice system. Should be good to go for quite a while.

Meatshield

About the only thing I'd say is it might behoove you to get a pair of hdds. A system and data drive. Having a data drive is going to be more useful than you initially realize. Get some 300+Gb drive you can use as a system drive until you can buy a high performance system drive (or ssd).

You mean using an ssd to store windows & important programs on and then having the 1 tb for everything else?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
Depending on how many games/Albums/Movies you have/get you might need more than 1 TB for data.

You mean using an ssd to store windows & important programs on and then having the 1 tb for everything else?
Exactly, if you're like me, and I know a lot of people are in this way, your data drive will fill faster than you thought it would. It will also provide you with a way to prevent you from having to re-download drivers in the event of a disastrous system drive error, or simply corruption of your system for whatever reason. No less there are weird things you have probably run across that you won't want to lose.

Your budget's pretty high atm, so I can imagine not wanting to spend a lot more right now, but try getting something like a 320Gb drive to use as your system drive, something with fairly good performance, if you can't afford a 10,000rpm sata drive or an ssd right now. That way your data is intact, and can easily be transferred over to your new installation on whatever high performance system drive you buy.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Can't find fault with any of those parts, pull the trigger. :toast:

Meatshield

Exactly, if you're like me, and I know a lot of people are in this way, your data drive will fill faster than you thought it would. It will also provide you with a way to prevent you from having to re-download drivers in the event of a disastrous system drive error, or simply corruption of your system for whatever reason. No less there are weird things you have probably run across that you won't want to lose.

Your budget's pretty high atm, so I can imagine not wanting to spend a lot more right now, but try getting something like a 320Gb drive to use as your system drive, something with fairly good performance, if you can't afford a 10,000rpm sata drive or an ssd right now. That way your data is intact, and can easily be transferred over to your new installation on whatever high performance system drive you buy.

Can you post a link of a good one?

Wouldn't I have to reinstall everything including windows if I added a ssd later? I don't really want to buy one now because in addition to the parts above, I'm picking up a new monitor, mouse, and keyboard since I'm coming from a laptop... which is obviously getting quite pricey. I'm trying to keep the pc under $1300 and keeping the total under $1600 with the other peripherals I need. Just trying to find the sweet spot between cost/high performance. I'm sitting at ~$1580 for everything at the moment.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Can you post a link of a good one?

Wouldn't I have to reinstall everything including windows if I added a ssd later? I don't really want to buy one now because in addition to the parts above, I'm picking up a new monitor, mouse, and keyboard since I'm coming from a laptop... which is obviously getting quite pricey. I'm trying to keep the pc under $1300 and keeping the total under $1600 with the other peripherals I need. Just trying to find the sweet spot between cost/high performance. I'm sitting at ~$1580 for everything at the moment.

No. You can clone the system drive using software tools. Western Digital has a free version of Acronis True Image (a fantastic disc cloning program) that you can use if one of the drives in your system is a WD branded one. (Free version won't work unless at least one of the drives in the system is WD, so that might be a reason to buy a WD drive.)

There are also freeware tools that do the same without the need to buy a Western Digital drive, such as Macrium Reflect, and will get the job done just as well, but Acronis is #1 for user-friendliness.

When you go to upgrade, you'll clone the system drive to the new high-performance HDD or SSD (assuming the drive you buy has enough space to fit your cloned image), and then set the old system drive as a secondary. Once you've booted to the new drive and made sure that the clone process went perfectly, you can safely wipe the old drive to use it as a storage drive, or keep it as is for a backup...

Last edited:

Meatshield

Ah, I didn't really know there were programs for that. So a viable option would be to keep the 1tb wd I have selected up there and then pick up an SSD later and just clone the OS over? Then use the 1tb to store data on? What size ssd would be optimal for windows and a few programs? ssd's still seem pretty expensive per gb

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ah, I didn't really know there were programs for that. So a viable option would be to keep the 1tb wd I have selected up there and then pick up an SSD later and just clone the OS over? Then use the 1tb to store data on? What size ssd would be optimal for windows and a few programs? ssd's still seem pretty expensive per gb

Yep you could definitely do that. Just remember that the 1TB drive will (generally) be slower than, for example, the 320Gig drive that ubersmurf linked to. Single platter drives are almost always better performing. I don't know a whole ton about drive mechanics so do your own research or find somebody a bit more knowlegable to advise you on which specific drive to buy ;)

That said, the F3s are supposed to be quite snappy drives, and if you do plan to upgrade to an SSD, or maybe buy a couple smaller high performance drives to RAID in the future; the 1tb F3 will likely hold you over till then. Game load times, windows bootup times, and windows filesystem navigation (opening files in programs, going through folders, exploring the HDD) are the things that will be most effected by the speed of the HDD. Once the level is loaded in your favorite game, the HDD speed won't come into play again until the game needs to load something else.

Personally, I'd want at least 128GB SSD. Win7's install can be around 12GB depending on features, and it doesn't take much to pump that up when you add in windows updates, a few programs, and whichever games you want to be run off the SSD. Then you have to consider RAM swapfile (so as much ram as you have, you are going to need at least that much excess free space. Double is better), temporary files, and every installer on the planet unzips to the temp folder, so you need enough free space to acommodate the install of whatever the biggest thing you'll ever install is, or double that if you're installing it to the SSD system drive. A 64GB drive would be the absolute minimum size to get IMHO.

OH! Big PS! If you plan on keeping just the 1TB drive for now and then going to a separate system and data drives setup later, make sure you partition the drive to have a small C: portion and a large D: portion. Then later on you can clone the C: portion to the new high performance drive, and delete the C: partition off the old one, use Acronis or something else to expand the D: partition to the full size of the drive.

Last edited:

Time for a lesson in disk cloning, and some opinions.

1) You can clone one drive to another. Most of the time programs like to have a target that is the same size, or larger than the original drive. The largest commercial solution is Norton Ghost. I like clonezilla (free!), but have heard good things about Acronis (paid). You really have to do research first, because some SSDs prefer a fresh OS install, and others resist any disk cloning, violently.

2) Initial partitioning of the drive will matter. If you're going to migrate to an SSD later, then choose an OS partition size equal to that of the SSD you are willing to buy. IE 60GB, 128 GB, 240 GB, etc... This way you know that you can work with a boot disk this big. Partition the rest into data. Once migrated, keep the original OS partition as a back-up in the event of a drive failure.

3) Do you use office at all? Basic office, without e-mail, will run about 99 USD. Something that should be mulled over.

4) Both monitors are acceptable. As others have stated, choose based upon screen finish. I personally find glossy monitors as unacceptably difficult to work with. Additionally, LED monitors generally last longer, because they generally have LED backlights. LCD occasionally uses ccfl or eefl. Both light sources have a burn-out time much sooner than an LED. You must note that I say this only if you intend to keep the screen 4+ years, because that's the first time (barring instantaneous/under 2 months failures) that I've experienced them failing.

Edit: Newegg is currently running a sale on HDDs and SSDs. It runs until the 19th. While an SSD seems like it would be a frivolity given the current budget, it might be worth looking into. If you're unsure an SSDs price will justify the performance (~99% of casual users would fall into this category) there's a Hitachi 2 TB on the sales list I can personally recommend. 4 drives in raid 5, and not a hiccup in the last year of operation.

Last edited:
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro

1) You can clone one drive to another. Most of the time programs like to have a target that is the same size, or larger than the original drive. The largest commercial solution is Norton Ghost. I like clonezilla (free!), but have heard good things about Acronis (paid). You really have to do research first, because some SSDs prefer a fresh OS install, and others resist any disk cloning, violently.

2) Initial partitioning of the drive will matter. If you're going to migrate to an SSD later, then choose an OS partition size equal to that of the SSD you are willing to buy. IE 60GB, 128 GB, 240 GB, etc... This way you know that you can work with a boot disk this big. Partition the rest into data. Once migrated, keep the original OS partition as a back-up in the event of a drive failure.

3) Do you use office at all? Basic office, without e-mail, will run about 99 USD. Something that should be mulled over.

4) BOth monitors are acceptable. As others have stated, chooe based upon screen finish. I personally find glossy monitors as unacceptably difficult to work with. Additionally, LED monitors generally last longer, because they generally have LED backlights. LCD occasionally uses ccfl or eefl. Both light sources have a burn-out time much sooner than an LED. You must note that I say this only if you intend to keep the screen 4+ years, because that's the first time (barring instantaneous/under 2 months failures) that I've experienced them failing.

Edit: Newegg is currently running a sale on HDDs and SSDs. It runs until the 19th. While an SSD seems like it would be a frivolity given the current budget, it might be worth looking into. If you're unsure an SSDs price will justify the performance (~99% of casual users would fall into this category) there's a Hitachi 2 TB on the sales list I can personally recommend. 4 drives in raid 5, and not a hiccup in the last year of operation.

Ah yes! I forgot about SSD sector alignment. That does throw a pickle in there. It may be better to do a fresh install, research is needed. I won't say any further because I haven't done the research into it myself.

As for 3: If you don't need the clip-art and such, OpenOffice may be good enough for your needs. It's shaping up nicely from what it used to be back in the day. Supports Microsoft Office formats, and usually 98% of the page formatting survives the translation. You may need to fix minor errors every once in a while if you work back and forth between MSO and OOo a lot. Try it out and see (if you haven't already) before you buy anything. OxygenOffice is OOo with some clipart and stuff included.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
I would just like to chime in here...

In all my years on the MSI forums, the moderators and MSI staff really tend to think that G.Skill or Mushkin RAM does not play well in their motherboards.

If you look at their support forums you will see posts where as soon as the OP mentions the above two RAM manufacturers, they will tell you to change your RAM before anything else.

I would recommend something along these lines:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM...

Either of these Vengeance kits would be better compatible with a MSI board. I have owned a few of their products.

I personally have the 4x4GB kit of Vengeance in my Z68A-GD80 right now.

Meatshield

Information overload! Haha, you guys are awesome

This would likely be fine for the time being and inexpensive.

Yep you could definitely do that. Just remember that the 1TB drive will (generally) be slower than, for example, the 320Gig drive that ubersmurf linked to.

So you're recommending the 320gb over the 1tb because it will be faster? So it's better to have several smaller drives than one massive drive even though its more expensive that way per gb?

4) Both monitors are acceptable. As others have stated, choose based upon screen finish. I personally find glossy monitors as unacceptably difficult to work with. Additionally, LED monitors generally last longer, because they generally have LED backlights. LCD occasionally uses ccfl or eefl. Both light sources have a burn-out time much sooner than an LED. You must note that I say this only if you intend to keep the screen 4+ years, because that's the first time (barring instantaneous/under 2 months failures) that I've experienced them failing.

Thanks... I guess I'll have to do more research on ssd's and which ones will clone well or maybe just pony up and buy one now. I'm still using office 2003 :D I use the computers at my university if I need a newer version of office. BTW, the mid range ssd's in that sale are sold out, there's just the tiny one and the big ones

I would just like to chime in here...

In all my years on the MSI forums, the moderators and MSI staff really tend to think that G.Skill or Mushkin RAM does not play well in their motherboards.

If you look at their support forums you will see posts where as soon as the OP mentions the above two RAM manufacturers, they will tell you to change your RAM before anything else.

I would recommend something along these lines:

Either of these Vengeance kits would be better compatible with a MSI board. I have owned a few of their products.

I personally have the 4x4GB kit of Vengeance in my Z68A-GD80 right now.

Thanks! I haven't been to the MSI forums, good to know.

Last edited:
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
So you're recommending the 320gb over the 1tb because it will be faster? So it's better to have several smaller drives than one massive drive even though its more expensive that way per gb?

Not neccessarily. If you can get a drive with a single platter (one actual disc inside) they usually spin up faster, among other things, and all else being equal gives them a slight edge over multi-platter drives. The bigger capacity drives usually use two or three smaller capacity (same physical size) discs stacked literally on top of each other inside in order to make up the size on the box. A well designed multi-platter drive will outperform a poorly designed single-platter, however.

Further, having multiple smaller discs (here meaning seperate hard-drives, not referring to platters) instead of one big one gives you the opportunity to RAID. With an appropriate controller, you can RAID two or more drives together in a Raid-0 striped set. Then when data is written to the drive, it is written some on the first drive and some on the second, so the whole operation can be (theoretically) up to twice as fast, and more as you add more drives. There's of course some overhead and inefficiency in the controller, and the fact that if one of the drives in a Raid-0 set fails, you lose all the data (since it's spread across all the drives in the set). That's why there's options like Raid 50 which is a combination of Raid 5 and Raid 0, gives you some fault tolerance but is expensive (only end up with a fraction of the capacity of the sum of the drives). It's a lot more simple to set up and use than it sounds, but may be best not to mess with RAID at this point unless you want to do a bunch of research first, so you know what you're getting into. This is basically where SSDs are being used today, instead of RAID-0 arrays. SSDs are fast without the increased risk of data loss, but still expensive.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about how the mechanics effect the performance, so you'd be better to look for hard drive reviews or ask somebody else when you get down to deciding which specific one to buy. Select the drive you want, then look for reviews of it online. If it performs as well as the other drives in the same price range, buy it. :toast:

Meatshield

Got another quick question:

After looking over a lot of reviews, I've decided to go with the MSI twin frozr 570gtx.

The ii version can be had for $310 on tigerdirect while the iii version can be had for $370 on newegg, my question is does the iii version justify the $60 premium?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
No, personally I would rather have the 6970 but the 570 will do fine for $310

Last edited: