• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"First death from Bitcoin mining"

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I haven't seen anyone saying they are glad he's dead. That would be callous.
Good thing you can't read my mind.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Darwin Award

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
For a real person death, I strongly doubt that the "F to pay respects" would be appropriate.
at the risk of sounding completely ignorant.....and I'm going to just use a random example here.....I understand the concept of viewers sending "F" when Doom Guy gets killed by the demons when someone is live streaming it sort of thing....but where or how did that practice start? like what originated that whole "thing" of "F" for paying respects to death in game?

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
like what originated that whole "thing" of "F" for paying respects to death in game?

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
ahhh now I see why I was in the dark....I couldn't care less about the CoD franchise if I tried lol. still, kinda funny story of how it came to be

D

Deleted member 24505

Karma.

/thread

My entire left eyebrow did get sent up a good 3 mm I believe. This is just laughable news, people get shocked everywhere but BTC made it end up here for some reason.

Yes , it does. We just fail to capture it in legislation. Its abuse at the expense of others, plain and simple. Ask future generations how they feel given the current climate issues.

There I said it. Live and let live goes both ways. Mining is greed. Cant explain it any other way, sorry.. in 2014 perhaps, but now? No.
Just because he offends your sensibilities by mining he deserves to die. There are far worse things in life than upsetting some neckbeard by depriving him of a new GPU. How exactly is it wrong to mine? he spent lots of, seemingly, his own money buy the 20 GPUs to speculate with the possibility of making some money, not really much worse than a lot of other ways to make a crust now. I would mine if i had the means, I am sure fair few of the frowners would too, though I doubt they would admit it.

Greed is the driving force of todays society now, get used to it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Greed is the driving force of todays society now, get used to it.
See that's where we disagree and why you say what you say.

Meanwhile, no worries, to each their own, but its not 'offending my sensibilities'. Its offending common sense to let greed 'drive' a society, casually agreeing with it, and then it gets utterly ridiculous if you think there is a moral high ground in saying 'everyone wastes stuff so this is fine'.. You're not and he's not - its waste for the singular purpose of trying to get rich. No value is created anywhere. A core issue that feeds crypto and negates its purpose to begin with.

And hey, its not like I'm saying kill all the miners, but if shit happens, shit happens. No reason to feel sorry for anyone here, its completely misplaced to me, and mostly serves to pat yourself on the back 'look how nice I am'.

As for 'driving force'... I call it a human condition and it creates more problems than it solves, as we can see the world over. Sometimes, enough is enough.

Household 110/230V will kill you just the same as 110kV, it will just take more time, which is a false sense of security since your muscles will contract and you will involuntarily hold on to whatever shocks you until you die. Respect things which can kill you.

Thank you now I know a little more what's happening.

When you fight try to release yourself, you can't, your body is completely locked. My muscle feel like they are hardening, getting very stiff because the naturally thing to do is pull away, no don't do that, it's stiffening the muscles even more & it's going to take longer for you to get them back into a relaxed state. ..I do know when most of you body muscles is stiff or locked you begin to feel or hear your heart slowing down. I'm not sure which one, but something is happening to your heart.

Even thou I'm under continuous shock, I'm not even aware if I'm actually breathing, I have no sense of this. The last time I was under continuous shocked, it took longer for me to release myself. That was around 3-4 years ago. (dodge grey import TV)

I've been shock many times with my body completely frozen, mostly accidently, but I'm not going to say what the other are because it's very dangerous & I don't want anyone to copy what I did.

The only thing I can say to anyone who get's continuous shock from mains voltage, if you feel like your muscles are stiffening your going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
They refer to GPU's as hard drives a few times... you're telling me in all this crypto craze no one there caught it?

Also an explosion and an electrocution, must have been some kind of nuclear mining rig.

I also only see it in a few tabloid esque UK sites and not being reported anywhere else (one that is written like a hit piece calling him a "GREEDY" person in capital letters). I'm hesitant to believe this actually happened.

His profile isn't that hard to search up on Facebook.........plenty of Thai people presumably people he knew (judging from the messages) posted condolences on his profile. I don't see why 20+ people who knew him would be somehow all involved in some fake news conspiracy, I trust that neither would they be getting their information from the Daily Mail. Some of those messages are pretty sad, hard to believe it was just a few days ago.

From his insta looks like man really was pretty deep into mining. Unfortunate it had to end like that.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Thank you now I know a little more what's happening.
{...)
Yes, even if you consciously know what's happening it's almost impossible to react in any way other than try to relax your muscles and hope you fall down away from danger and not down the stairs. That's why electricians working in high-risk environments always work in pairs.
The main idea is AC makes muscles violently contract, high frequency AC, like 400Hz used in aviation, makes them palpitate but not contract and high voltage DC makes them extend - which seems like a good thing, but DC voltage high enough to penetrate the skin usually has enough current behind it to boil you alive, remember that humans are bags of mostly water.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Karma.

/thread

My entire left eyebrow did get sent up a good 3 mm I believe. This is just laughable news, people get shocked everywhere but BTC made it end up here for some reason.

Yes , it does. We just fail to capture it in legislation. Its abuse at the expense of others, plain and simple. Ask future generations how they feel given the current climate issues.

There I said it. Live and let live goes both ways. Mining is greed. Cant explain it any other way, sorry.. in 2014 perhaps, but now? No.
Yeah, I'm just gonna drop this here and let you think:

Yes it's "bitcoinmagazine" but the facts behind it are well researched and do make you think about how it's not really an issue at all.

Anyways: what you just said is legit awful. No other way to put it. And I knew there was gonna be at least one. Sad you had to prove me right.

Good thing you can't read my mind.
God almighty, just stop people. I wanted to be wrong. I knew I wouldn't be for long, but heck, I wanted to be. Leave the genocidal rage thoughts at the door when you come here please.

Darwin Award
Yes, because making money is stupid, I forgot.

Last edited:
Perhaps life was a joke to him? I don't know - just read the sign on his T-shirt...

D

Deleted member 24505

Yeah, I'm just gonna drop this here and let you think:

Yes it's "bitcoinmagazine" but the facts behind it are well researched and do make you think about how it's not really an issue at all.

Anyways: what you just said is legit awful. No other way to put it. And I knew there was gonna be at least one. Sad you had to prove me right.

God almighty, just stop people. I wanted to be wrong. I knew I wouldn't be for long, but heck, I wanted to be. Leave the genocidal rage thoughts at the door when you come here please.

Yes, because making money is stupid, I forgot.
I kinda figured he would have that attitude from his comments. He seems such a nice person too /s

@Thread,
This was not a death from bitcoin mining. This was a death from an accidental electrocution. The title of this thread is misleading to say the least and so is most of the hoopla about it.

People need to learn how to context better.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Damn, sorry for his family, but the comedy of blaming bitcoin when there's many killed each day through shoddy electrical practices is a bit much.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I just want to know what really happened. How was he running his power? What did he touch?

Yes, even if you consciously know what's happening it's almost impossible to react in any way other than try to relax your muscles and hope you fall down away from danger and not down the stairs. That's why electricians working in high-risk environments always work in pairs.
The main idea is AC makes muscles violently contract, high frequency AC, like 400Hz used in aviation, makes them palpitate but not contract and high voltage DC makes them extend - which seems like a good thing, but DC voltage high enough to penetrate the skin usually has enough current behind it to boil you alive, remember that humans are bags of mostly water.

Yes that's right. In most cases you will be standing or in a crouched position. So when you relax your muscles, your hand/arm will slides off the apparatus or your body will fall towards the floor. You don't have control of which direction you are going to fall, that I know, but if you are already leaning over in a certain direction, then that's the direction you will fall when released from a frozen state. Gravity is playing a big part in me escaping. from a frozen state.

If I was lying flat on my back with both arms touch each apparatus at ground level, then there is no escape, no matter how much you attempt to relax your muscles, because I think most of it is gravity assisted.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't think it is fake news. MSN has picked up the story now. Here's a pic of his mining rig. It looks like it's drawing a lot of power to me but I really don't know anything about these mining rigs.

1627076605718.png

Last edited:
When I forgot to break the circuit, I didn't kill myself, but my screwdriver never picked up any magnetic metal after that incident.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
It's my least favorite part of any job. And I've been trained to do it!

I'm really just wondering what he did... how he had it set up to where he touched something and got a lethal combination of voltage and current. The mains are the easy assumption. He had to have messed with the power arrangement. Perhaps there was a fault that energized one of the frames? I don't really know how these things are typically assembled, so it's even harder for me to speculate on what corners got cut. Grounding issues come to mind. Lots of big pieces of exposed metal in proximity to all of these wires packed in with fans and power strips everywhere....

I really wish they would be more clear on what actually happened, you know? As said above, crypto didn't kill him, an electrical fault in his rig did. Where was the fault? That's probably the most important piece of information in the story. And nobody seems to have it.

Like... 'don't do crypto' doesn't necessarily protect a person in this instance. Knowing how the fault that killed this guy, did, might at least save a life.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I fuck about with a lot of things, but not electricary, that shit will kill you if you don't respect it.
Truth. I was very careful running my 240V lines for my brief comparison series I did of 240V vs 120V on my mining articles (240V 20amp like that can kick HARD). The lines are now an interesting story in the garage that don't do much of anything, but I digress...

D

Deleted member 24505

Truth. I was very careful running my 240V lines for my brief comparison series I did of 240V vs 120V on my mining articles (240V 20amp like that can kick HARD). The lines are now an interesting story in the garage that don't do much of anything, but I digress...

interesting thing is, even a 12v car battery can kill you in the right circumstances, they have 300+ Amps

Did you do that for giggles or was there a science methodology behind the effort?

interesting thing is, even a 12v car battery can kill you in the right circumstances, they have 300+ Amps
Also true.