• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First i5 build problems, any help would be greatly apreciated!!

Torrenera

:banghead:

Well hello guys erm i'm new here but i was told that this was a good board to come on for techy advice and such, but anyway i'll get straight to the point 3 days ago me and my friend built an i5 PC, specs are as follows

Intel Core i5 750 2.66 non OC
XMS3 Corsair 1333 RAM 2x 2GB
Asus Maximus iii Formula
Zalman CNPS10X Cooler
2 Nvidia GTX 260 in SLI
Xtreme Music Sound Blaster sound card
Real Power M1000 Cooler Master PSU
Intel X25-M g2 80GB Solid State Drive
a 320 and 500 GB seagate hard drives 7200 RPM not too sure on the models
and 2 Asus Quick Track DVD drives

Well the build went well no problems till of course its time to boot the system, that's where the problems arose, basically at first the system would not post the monitor light flashed and nothing came on screen, at this point we were already starting to get confused, the red light on the mobo that cycles from CPU, DRAM, BOOT got stuck on the DRAM so we immediatelly thought it be a RAM problem so we re seated the 2 sticks moved them from the 1st slot and 3rd to the 2nd and 4th.

This time the system succesfully posted and we managed to get into the bios everything seemed ok installed windows on SSD and started to transfer some files over (Steam) i had to go out and leave the house so i told my flatmate to turn off the PC when the transfer was finished. After returning i turned on PC and it was fine to boot to windows, it refused though to install wireless drivers for my linksys n wireless adapter also i formatted my 500gb hdd because i got all the data i needed from it, so i decided to restart the system, at this point it started to fail to post again no idea why it just started again, it kept on doing this until i pressed the reset cmos button at the back of the mobo after doing this the system succesfully posted, but now it said that the bootmgr was missing, and would not boot to windows, i am not sure if its because of my formatting of the 500gb hdd maybe when installing windows 7 to the ssd it for some dumb a** reason put the boot file on the other hard drive, anyway i proceed to reinstall windows 7 (ohhh one of many reinstalls) at this point everything seems ok apart from the fact that when i enter my computer the system cant seem to see my 320 gb hdd, i went to the disk manager and i could see the drive there but it said that it was being used as "System" or something and it could not be formatted, so i am not sure why that is i guess that the boot file was again installed on a different hard drive?

Anyway i also notice in the windows system that my computer can see that i have 4gb of memory but only 1.99 GB are useable, i thought this was kinda weird even for a 32 bit system i thought it could go up to 2.5/3 gb of memory useage out of 4 anyway so my friend tells me to go into msconfig go to boot, and choose maximum memory at startum from advanced options i did that restarted and guess what every time it goes into starting windows the system would BSOD and give me a memory dump screen, it did this once then succesfully booted into windows then next time i restarted it kept on BSODing untill i did a recovery system restore and it stopped, i turned the option off this is what made me think that RAM is the problem so i went and got memtest86+ 4.00 and ran it for a good 2 hours 3 passes i thought should be enough came back with 0 errors so this confused me is it the RAM or not?

So then i went and checked SSD with chkdsk i know its not much but at least its something again came back with nothing wrong, anyway still confused as to why the hell i cldnt access my 320 gb and cld only use 1.99 gb of ram i decided to reinstall windows again i formatted the 320 and deleted the partition and did the same with the 500, oh i also updated my Asus mobo bios to the latest one 1305 i think mine came with like 0609 or something THANKS ASUS (Y) and also my SSD firmware to 02HD from 02HA i hear that the new firmware re enables TRIM or at least removes some bugs and i did notice the thing was faster anyway, after I reinstalld windows i go into my computer and guess waht it says i have the SSD as C but this time it cant see both my other HDDs and instead sees my usb stick and 2 CD drives D and E which i dont have and 2 DVD drives also called D and E which i DO have, this confused the hell out of me, so i removed the USB stick and when i did that both the CD drives disappeared as well so only the dvd drives and SSD remained, so i go back to the disk manager and see that the pc can see both the 320gb and 500gb but they are unallocated space, so i right click and make simple drives NTFS format out of both of them so now all 3 of my storage devices can be seen also my 2 dvd drives.

But still i dont get why it says i can only use 1.99 GB of ram and why it posts only only on the 3rd and 4th slot instead of 1st and 2nd is there a specific order for this mobo? are the 2nd and 4th primary? (although i have not reseated the ram to 1st and 3rd slot since bios update) also why wld it install the boot system file on a different hard drive? and why did my system BSOD when i changed the msconfig option? i'm not sure... I am not sure if any component is BORKED or if it was just the mobo being retarded.

Sorry to pull a Dante Alighieri divine comedy style size of writing but any help would be GREATLY apreciated after reinstalling windows like 6 times and changing options and fiddling with stuff i feel like throwing my PC right out of the window :D.

tl:dr my pc wldnt boot with my ram at first so changed slots and it worked, but then would not see one of my HDD's and it seems like boot file was installed on it instead of where i installed windows, it kept bsod'ing after i changed some settings to do with RAM in msconfig, and it says i can only use 1.99 GB out of 4 of RAM.

But yeah any suggestions, insight or pearls of wisdoms would be great thanks guys

Torrenera

System Name 5
Processor Intel i7 2600k @ 3.675 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 1155
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ w/ 2 Scythe Fans
Memory Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) Intel HD 3000
Storage (3) 1TB Samsung 7200RPM HDD's, (2) Maxtor 500 GB DiamondMax
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 w/ Dell E207WFP 20" 1680x1050
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software 7 Ultimate x64/Lion
If I'm not mistaken, the more VRAM you use (you have 2 GTX 260's in SLI, so you're losing a lot of RAM), the less RAM you'll have available in a 32-bit system.

DDR3 is also extremely picky at where you place your RAM. Just put them in the same colored slots, and it'll run in dual channel and you'll be fine.

You should definitely use a 64-bit OS. You're also using an awesome setup for OC'ing, so take advantage of that!