• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First one to answer gets a prize / RE: DOCP VS Manual mode AMD

So everyone is on the same page > ...... Asus Tuf Gaming X570 with Wifi. 3700X , Ripjaws Series V > Asus QVL approved. Installed in slots 2 and 4.

Ok....... we flash the bios. Unplug PSU, Clear CMOS, Perhaps even a few times for good measure.....Plug in PSU, power back up.

I go into AI Tweaker. I enable DOCP and boom......there is my Ram XMP, you load it, beautiful. It works. At rated speeds immediately. Flawless...... with me so far???? EVERYTHING ELSE LEFT TO AUTO.......

Windows shows it running 3600 (correct) ..... Now, forget everything I just said, Go back and re-flash bios, clear cmos, load defaults, reboot, re-enter bios .............. WHY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN I NOT MANUALLY ENTER MY DRAM TIMINGS and get the damn thing to boot into windows? I don't mean all 4,000 tiny options of the ram. No, I mean the main ones. 3600 mzh, 18000 mhz FLCK (you know what I mean) ------ it's all set right. Just basic, no brainer settings that SHOULD WORK........

WITHOUT DOCP being enabled - at all......... I ought to be able to do it manually without DOCP. Period. So far the best I have been able to do is to get it to boot into windows using my manual settings, BUT...... windows only reporting the bare basic speed of 2133........

WHY? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY? >>>>> Dram voltage? Nope. Manually increased to 1.35 which works FLAWLESSLY when Docp is enabled. Same voltage. That's what it calls for at 3600mhz.

I don't get it. It's driving me mad........... I'm missing a step somewhere. YES, I have been to the "advanced" tab and all the way down at the bottom it says AMD OVERCLOCK. Cool........ a peek around inside there I find an option to "Enable" Dram Overclock....... which is technically correct. Anything over 2133 is technically overclocked. ----- SO even that feature should tell all the hardwared > HEY, RUN THIS BITCH AT 3600mhz. ----- It's not happening.

Reward: You very may well save someones soul tonight. :)

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Crosshair viii Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z 73 my corsair H115i kicked the bucket corsair sucks lol
Memory g-skill rgb 64gb 4x16gb ddr4 3200mgz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x oc 3080
Storage Sabren rocket gen 4 2tb m.2/ samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/ 3x toshiba 3tb hdd , 10tb seagate, 16tb seagat
Display(s) Acer 4k monitor/ Samsung C34J79x 34 inch curved monitor
Case thermal take view 71 rgb
Audio Device(s) creative ae-5 sound card
Power Supply corsair AX 1200i 1200 watt psu
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
Software windows 11 pro 64bit
hmmm, all I know is when I upgraded my memory from 32gb to 64gb all the settings on both kits are the same but it would not boot until I reset the bios maybe that is what you have to do. good luck

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Did you remember your SoC voltage? Vdram isn't the only voltage being set when you click DOCP.

Seeing as you described timings as the "4000 tiny options of the RAM", making sure that the average user such as yourself is able to load a [ideally] stable overclock at the touch of a button is precisely the idea behind XMP and DOCP.

When XMP/DOCP is enabled, it sets freq, timings, Vdram (usually 1.2, 1.3, or 1.5V) and VSoC for you. Stock Asus auto SoC is 1.025V and generally might not be enough for pushing stable 3600/3733/3800. DOCP/XMP auto SoC is almost always 1.1V on any board, and generally falls around 1.08-1.11V actual voltage on the SVI2 bus.

Asus also seems to be dictating an abnormally high Auto procODT on their new BIOSes. Out of the box mine was 53ohms, really high for Matisse, which should only need roughly 30-40ohms at the most. If you have trouble booting, you can also play around with procODT to see if it helps.

Also, what you refer to as the "main timings" aren't main timings. 3600 is the RAM speed, 1800 is the IF speed. The main timings are tCL, tRCD(RD/WR), tRP, tRAS, tRC. If you haven't set those at the very least, then chances are the board is trying to run the speed that you've set (3600) at the timings of the JEDEC 2133 profile (15-15-15), which is something that only the best kits out there can actually achieve.

You do realize that DOCP is literally only making your life easier? On Asus and Gigabyte boards, it's perfectly acceptable to first load XMP/DOCP to ensure that the board is using obscure secondary/tertiary timings from the XMP profile, before proceeding to overclock to an even higher RAM speed with custom timings, all while leaving XMP/DOCP on.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Other voltages get changed with DOCP/XMP as well

Is there a reason you wont use DOCP? As a fellow Asus ryzen user, its the way to go.

Did you remember your SoC voltage? Vdram isn't the only voltage being set when you click DOCP.

Seeing as you described timings as the "4000 tiny options of the RAM", making sure that the average user such as yourself is able to load a [ideally] stable overclock at the touch of a button is precisely the idea behind XMP and DOCP.

When XMP/DOCP is enabled, it sets freq, timings, Vdram (usually 1.2, 1.3, or 1.5V) and VSoC for you. Stock Asus auto SoC is 1.025V and generally might not be enough for pushing stable 3600/3733/3800. DOCP/XMP auto SoC is almost always 1.1V on any board, and generally falls around 1.08-1.11V actual voltage on the SVI2 bus.

Asus also seems to be dictating an abnormally high Auto procODT on their new BIOSes. Out of the box mine was 53ohms, really high for Matisse, which should only need roughly 30-40ohms at the most. If you have trouble booting, you can also play around with procODT to see if it helps.

Also, what you refer to as the "main timings" aren't main timings. 3600 is the RAM speed, 1800 is the IF speed. The main timings are tCL, tRCD(RD/WR), tRP, tRAS, tRC. If you haven't set those at the very least, then chances are the board is trying to run the speed that you've set (3600) at the timings of the JEDEC 2133 profile (15-15-15), which is something that only the best kits out there can actually achieve.

You do realize that DOCP is literally only making your life easier? On Asus and Gigabyte boards, it's perfectly acceptable to first load XMP/DOCP to ensure that the board is using obscure secondary/tertiary timings from the XMP profile, before proceeding to overclock to an even higher RAM speed with custom timings, all while leaving XMP/DOCP on.

I understood every word. (Finally feel like I'm catching up - thanks)

Brings me to questions : Bottom line > Am I understand that an XMP profile is , essentially a digital snapshot of precisely where you want it to be? Save it? Load it back easy. Like you said it is designed to make your life easier. Ok. So It can read XMP files and I presume it's even possible to write your own XMP files now using Typhoon. (I think that's right) ----- Makes your life easier to start there as a base? Great.

2) Is DOCP mode specifically designed to "play nice" with Ryzen Master softare? OR.....is there proof out there that it doesn't matter either way, 100% Use RM and have fun with DOCP. ......

3) I want to be very clear on this....... I understand Ryzen Master is not meant to "Load" automatically any overclock you may have set for it to startup and auto apply those settings. I understand RM is simply capable of loading on the fly adjustments to bios. I tested it myself. It worked perfectly. ....... Fantastic.

I want to know how to auto-start Ryzen Master automatically with windows with full support and authority from the Windows drivers police..... just load up in the background. No warning Pop up, etc. Load to the system tray and from there if I want to pull up RM and apply a Profile I KNOW works, on the fly, ----well then....I'd be one one happy camper. Right now I can't seem to figure a way to do that and others (at least 1) agreed......

And yes to answer your question. I read elsewhere with hard math as proof that Ryzen more or less had 100% errors when related to a SOC v of Above 1.10 ....... So in my bios, I do have SOC V manual. > 1.09. HWinfo reads it no more than 1.04 and I believe that was under load.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
DOCP just loads the factory overclock settings for your ram, from the ram itself. thats it.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Alot of the ram timings under DOCP say auto but in all reality are not, they're set by DOCP so may just have to bite the proverbial bullet and enter in all the settings manually Typhoon should give you all the timings even those in the XMP profile

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
Brings me to questions : Bottom line > Am I understand that an XMP profile is , essentially a digital snapshot of precisely where you want it to be? Save it? Load it back easy. Like you said it is designed to make your life easier. Ok. So It can read XMP files and I presume it's even possible to write your own XMP files now using Typhoon. (I think that's right) ----- Makes your life easier to start there as a base? Great.
XMP profile is an overclocked profile that doesnt follow JEDEC speed and timings. On some module yes you can edit XMP profile, but its better to do manual timings than messed with that.

2) Is DOCP mode specifically designed to "play nice" with Ryzen Master softare? OR.....is there proof out there that it doesn't matter either way, 100% Use RM and have fun with DOCP. ......
DOCP is just ASUS name for XMP.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
I understood every word. (Finally feel like I'm catching up - thanks)

3) I want to be very clear on this....... I understand Ryzen Master is not meant to "Load" automatically any overclock you may have set for it to startup and auto apply those settings. I understand RM is simply capable of loading on the fly adjustments to bios. I tested it myself. It worked perfectly. ....... Fantastic.

I want to know how to auto-start Ryzen Master automatically with windows with full support and authority from the Windows drivers police..... just load up in the background. No warning Pop up, etc. Load to the system tray and from there if I want to pull up RM and apply a Profile I KNOW works, on the fly, ----well then....I'd be one one happy camper. Right now I can't seem to figure a way to do that and others (at least 1) agreed......

And yes to answer your question. I read elsewhere with hard math as proof that Ryzen more or less had 100% errors when related to a SOC v of Above 1.10 ....... So in my bios, I do have SOC V manual. > 1.09. HWinfo reads it no more than 1.04 and I believe that was under load.

1. Ryzen Master has certain merits when it comes to CPU [especially per-CCX] overclocking, but I have no idea why you would use it to change memory timings. Just do it in BIOS. Every memory overclocker who wants to do things properly, does.

2. I think Thaiphoon is capable of editing XMP profiles, but if you get to the point where you have worked out your own custom profile of frequency, timings, Vdram and VSoC (and maybe even VDDP and others) and made sure it's 100% stable thru MT86, P95 Large and HCI, you will have cleared CMOS and re-entered the values into BIOS so many times that you can redo it all in BIOS without touching your mouse and within 60 seconds. Therefore, reprogramming your sticks for unknown risk and zero gain by the time you're knowledgeable enough to do so is something I don't know why you would pursue.

3. I've never come across any comprehensive testing that says a 1.1V SoC voltage results in 100% memory errors on Matisse. Safe SoC is still <1.2V, and Zen2 likes its 1.1V for high frequency RAM. If your SoC is at 1.1V and you have memory errors, the errors are coming from your memory.

4. I'm somewhat sure (don't quote me on this) that XMP profiles generally only apply the primary timings on recent Asus boards. The rest is left on Auto and is determined when the board does its 1, 2 or 3 boot loops after apply the XMP in BIOS as it does memory training to figure out the other timings.

If you want to find out more about what the specific timings do, check out the Memtesthelper guide or the 1usmus guide (be warned that the 1usmus guide was written for Pinnacle Ridge and Summit Ridge as it's from early 2019, some things are different on Matisse).

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I use the DOCP setting on a X370 Hero, which runs my 2x8GB GSkill @ 3200Mhz/14t (hey it was first gen Ryzen). I've swapped up to a 3700X but my mobo still reboots 50-60% on start-up for memory training. It's mental. My mobo's got learning difficulties. But, I don't mind. You get older and you forgive your PC its idiosyncracies.