• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Sightings of Malicious iPhone Trojan Appear Online

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
On Monday, Symantec found a Trojan software identified as iPhone firmware 1.1.3 prep. "This Trojan claims to be a tool used to prepare the device for an upgrade to firmware version 1.1.3," the US-CERT advisory said. "When a user installs the Trojan, other application components are altered. If the Trojan is uninstalled, the affected applications may also be removed." The Trojan appears to be timed to exploit rumors that began in early December about new features in an upcoming iPhone firmware upgrade. Various online news sites and blogs cited a report published by CNET France that claimed an imminent iPhone update would feature a disk mode, for using the iPhone as a portable flash drive, and a voice recording mode. In a blog post here, Symantec security researcher Orla Cox said that "this is technically the first Trojan horse seen for the iPhone, however it does appear to be more of a prank than an actual threat,"

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
"it just works...." just not that good :p

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
"it just works...." just not that good :p
If Mac didn't piss so many people off with all of their TV ads and bashing "It just works" into our heads, and turn their company into the biggest high-school / college emo-kid & hippie fashion statement, their products wouldn't be such the joke that they are.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I would love to see all these anti Mac people be forced to use Mac for 1 year. I would bet my life savings that none of the anti-mac people would ever talk bad on Mac again. :cool:

After being a life long user of Windows, and never really knowing anything else, I still can't bring myself to talk that bad about Windows. But I know one thing is for sure, after the year and a half that I've been using Mac, there is not one bad thing I can say about a Mac OS.

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I would love to see all these anti Mac people be forced to use Mac for 1 year. I would bet my life savings that none of the anti-mac people would ever talk bad on Mac again.

I would never use Macs, everything from most companies I consider to be overpriced unnecessary junk. Especially from Apple, also Sony. I was interviewing people today and this one girl said she wanted a lot of hours cause she eventually wants to buy a car and a macbook. That made me cringe, over two grand for a giant iPod? No one, ever, will be able to justify to cost of one of those to me. When so many of my friends were graduating HS and going to college their parents wanted to buy them gifts, and they all wanted Macbooks. It has nothing to do with how good a Macbook is, cause they don't know crap about them, they just know that its hip to have one.

The Mac hardware is overpriced junk, the OS isn't superior to Windows in anyway. Windows is more secure unless you're a horny 12 year old who downloads every .exe he can and runs them all, while spamming his IP address in an AOL chat room. There are plenty of articles documenting that the only reason Windows seems like it has more security flaws is because most trojans and viruses are targeted at Windows, because it has the most users. If there were more Leopard users, there would be more trojans and viruses targeting them, even terrorists don't waste their time plotting to bomb an empty building.

I'm not sure why I got so into a little Mac bashing tonight, I guess just a long day at work...but the last product I ever bought from Apple was and will be the Ipod Mini I had years ago when they were popular.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
I've been using my girlfriend's iMac for over 4 years. That thing causes more grief than Windows 98 with Kazaa.

Mac OS is a pretty OS, but I have absolutely no use whatsoever for Mac's proprietary software.

I own Office 2007, Macromedia Studio (but, silverlight FTW), Fruity Loops XXL, Magix Movie Maker. But most of all, I'm a game enthusiast. and Macs aren't game friendly.

I oppose having to Apple+Click everything - it's just counter-intuitive.
Windows Explorer gobbles up Finder. This is actually one of the main reasons I won't make "the switch".

Let's face it... the lame image that goes along with the mac crowd is something I would never want to be associated with. I'll leave that for the all the emo-sheeps.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I would never use Macs, everything from most companies I consider to be overpriced unnecessary junk. Especially from Apple, also Sony. I was interviewing people today and this one girl said she wanted a lot of hours cause she eventually wants to buy a car and a macbook. That made me cringe, over two grand for a giant iPod? No one, ever, will be able to justify to cost of one of those to me. When so many of my friends were graduating HS and going to college their parents wanted to buy them gifts, and they all wanted Macbooks. It has nothing to do with how good a Macbook is, cause they don't know crap about them, they just know that its hip to have one.

The Mac hardware is overpriced junk, the OS isn't superior to Windows in anyway. Windows is more secure unless you're a horny 12 year old who downloads every .exe he can and runs them all, while spamming his IP address in an AOL chat room. There are plenty of articles documenting that the only reason Windows seems like it has more security flaws is because most trojans and viruses are targeted at Windows, because it has the most users. If there were more Leopard users, there would be more trojans and viruses targeting them, even terrorists don't waste their time plotting to bomb an empty building.

I'm not sure why I got so into a little Mac bashing tonight, I guess just a long day at work...but the last product I ever bought from Apple was and will be the Ipod Mini I had years ago when they were popular.
I've been using my girlfriend's iMac for over 4 years. That thing causes more grief than Windows 98 with Kazaa.

Mac OS is a pretty OS, but I have absolutely no use whatsoever for Mac's proprietary software.

I own Office 2007, Macromedia Studio (but, silverlight FTW), Fruity Loops XXL, Magix Movie Maker. But most of all, I'm a game enthusiast. and Macs aren't game friendly.

I oppose having to Apple+Click everything - it's just counter-intuitive.
Windows Explorer gobbles up Finder. This is actually one of the main reasons I won't make "the switch".

Let's face it... the lame image that goes along with the mac crowd is something I would never want to be associated with. I'll leave that for the all the emo-sheeps.
Mac computers are not overpriced, nor are they junk. About the only valid arguments you have here are the lack of games, and security holes. And the holes don't matter if they're not exploited.

And you may prefer Explorer to Finder, but that's purely personal opinion. I find Finder more intuitive.

And you can use a 2 button mouse on a mac. Right click works the same as windows.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
I would love to see all these anti Mac people be forced to use Mac for 1 year. I would bet my life savings that none of the anti-mac people would ever talk bad on Mac again. :cool:

After being a life long user of Windows, and never really knowing anything else, I still can't bring myself to talk that bad about Windows. But I know one thing is for sure, after the year and a half that I've been using Mac, there is not one bad thing I can say about a Mac OS.

1st time i worked with a mac, a second after i put a usb pen in it, it started giving weird errors only solved with reboot :roll:

LoL, you'd loose a lot of money. No macs aren't bad but there are a lot of things they can't do as well. Being an IT profesional honestly I don't like macs as much. With windows if I need something done the way I need it there is some way or someone that can make it happen with mac you are S.O.L.
Mac computers are not overpriced, nor are they junk. About the only valid arguments you have here are the lack of games, and security holes. And the holes don't matter if they're not exploited.

And you may prefer Explorer to Finder, but that's purely personal opinion. I find Finder more intuitive.

And you can use a 2 button mouse on a mac. Right click works the same as windows.
Macs are over priced. They do have nice screens and some nice clean cases but they cost much more than me building myself the equivelent pc. Saying "And the holes don't matter if they're not exploited" is a stupid statement. My Geo Metro doesn't have any impact protection but thats ok because I won't: get hit, roll off the road, hit a pole, etc. A flaw in a product is still a flaw and eventually someone will abuse it.

Honestly I'm more impressed with some of HP's new displays than Apples' especially on the price points.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
LoL, you'd loose a lot of money. No macs aren't bad but there are a lot of things they can't do as well. Being an IT profesional honestly I don't like macs as much. With windows if I need something done the way I need it there is some way or someone that can make it happen with mac you are S.O.L.

Macs are over priced. They do have nice screens and some nice clean cases but they cost much more than me building myself the equivelent pc. Saying "And the holes don't matter if they're not exploited" is a stupid statement. My Geo Metro doesn't have any impact protection but thats ok because I won't: get hit, roll off the road, hit a pole, etc. A flaw in a product is still a flaw and eventually someone will abuse it.

Honestly I'm more impressed with some of HP's new displays than Apples' especially on the price points.
No, I've proven it over and over, Macs are not overpriced for the features you get. Now, if it has features you don't need or want, then yes, there are cheaper alternatives, but then again those alternatives don't have the same features, therefore are not equal.

Try it for yourself. Piece together the same components at NewEgg (or equivalent) that are in the MacPro.

Alternatively, try to find an all-in-one computer as feature laden, and as powerful as, the iMac for the same price.

Only the notebooks can be questioned in price, but then again, you'd pay an exorbitant amount for a PC notebook with that type of aluminum enclosure and high quality panel. Personally, I'd buy something else. I don't care about the enclosure. Plastic works fine for me.

And as far as the Apple displays, I'll give you that they are pricey, and more expensive than some other monitors with the same panels. Firstly, you pay a lot for an LG S-IPS panel, which is what the Cinema Displays are, and you pay for the aluminum enclosure as well. Personally, I'd rather buy the Dell equivalents, as I don't need or want the enclosure, but the extra money for the S-IPS panel is worth every penny. Screw response times, I want the better image and color quality.

As far as hole, and not exploited, it doesn't matter to the end user. They don't get viruses, that's all that matters to them. But yes, the time is coming. Hopefully they get them patched soon.

As far as getting things done on a mac, that's an age old classic argument. The fact is, you can't get it done just because you don't know how to. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Aside from some games, there is nothing that can be done on Windows, that can't be done on OS X. It's just a matter of learning it, or finding the program you need. If OS X had the lead in market share, you'd be saying the same about Windows.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Mac computers are not overpriced, nor are they junk.
My GF's iMac is the biggest piece of junk in the history of computers. The thing is SOOOOOOOOO slow. The disc drive stopped working so I had to buy an ugly external drive for her. The left speaker stopped working, but becuase it only accepts a proprietary speaker input, I can't go out and buy something nice. The biggest problem of all is, like I said, that it locks up more than a windows 98 on kazaa.

To say that all macs are perfect, well priced, and suitable for every person's need's is just ridiculous and fanboyish.

And it's not just games. There are looooads of things I do on a PC. there's not one thing that I could do with mac's (mostly lame and noobish - some exceptions) proprietary software that I couldn't do on a PC - so there's no reason for me to own a mac. Plus I feel the need to buy a mac and show it off in my local beatnik coffeshop to look cool and be accepted by the local college hippies and high-school emo kids.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
My GF's iMac is the biggest piece of junk in the history of computers. The thing is SOOOOOOOOO slow. The disc drive stopped working so I had to buy an ugly external drive for her. The left speaker stopped working, but becuase it only accepts a proprietary speaker input, I can't go out and buy something nice. The biggest problem of all is, like I said, that it locks up more than a windows 98 on kazaa.

To say that all macs are perfect, well priced, and suitable for every person's need's is just ridiculous and fanboyish.

And it's not just games. There are looooads of things I do on a PC. there's not one thing that I could do with mac's (mostly lame and noobish - some exceptions) proprietary software that I couldn't do on a PC - so there's no reason for me to own a mac. Plus I feel the need to buy a mac and show it off in my local beatnik coffeshop to look cool and be accepted by the local college hippies and high-school emo kids.
Your GF's iMac is one computer out of how many? That's quite a limited sample set. What kind of iMac is it? Here's the big question, how much ram does it have?

I never once said that all macs are perfect, or suitable for everyone's needs. Re-read what I typed. But they are all reasonably priced, if you need a computer with the features they come with, out of box. If you feel you don't need the options they have out of box, then you can save money by going elsewhere.

And your argument about proprietary software swings both ways. There's nothing you can do (aside from some games) on a PC, that I can't do on a Mac. Even then, I can game on a newer Mac under Windows, if I want to. And Apple isn't the only company that makes software for OS X, so there is no need to use the proprietary software if you don't want to. Same can be said of Windows.

And to sit here and bash Macs based upon their image is more ridiculous than me defending them against misinformation.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
what i hate most about mac users is they behave like theyre in a cult.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
what i hate most about mac users is they behave like theyre in a cult.
Some of them do. Those are the ones that believe Steve and Co can do no wrong. I know that Apples aren't perfect in any way. There just not as bad as some hardcore PC zealots make them out to be. They're the same as any other PC, and as such, can have all the same problems.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
There's nothing you can do (aside from some games) on a PC, that I can't do on a Mac.
I accept your challenge! What'll it be - music, video, web creation, photoshop, 3D rendering? You pick the topic. May the best computer win.

I just couldn't switch to Mac because I'm worried about their security. I hear about a new virus for a mac every day. :roll: