1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Time Builder

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by FellintoOblivion, Sep 19, 2008.

1. FellintoOblivion New Member

Thanks Received:
    As the title says I am finally undertaking the pretty intimidating task of building my first computer. I have all my components picked out (after doing quite a bit of research about specs and compatibility etc.) and I am buying them a few at a time. I bought my case and PSU yesterday. I figure I will buy my MB and CPU last to avoid any possible damage to them from sitting around.

My PSU has 8 Molex connectors. Two separate cords with 4 sets of male/female Molex plugs on each cord.

~I have four fans (120 on front, side and back and an 80 on top) but they only have male ends. Is it ok for the female ends to not be plugged into anything or will something be plugged into them eventually?

~Do other components use Molex plugs or do I have eight in case I have a LOT of fans?

~Should all four fans be plugged into the same cord or does it not matter?

~Once I have the PSU installed and the fans plugged in can I plug the PSU into an outlet to see of the fans/PSU work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. ascstinger

ascstinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. yes, its ok of the female ends dont have anything attached
    2. older components like ide hard drives and cdrom's use molex power. Some motherboards use a molex for extra power, as well as some fan controllers
    3. For the amount of amperage fans pull, it wouldnt matter
    4. Yes, you need to connect the green wire on the 24pin (there is only 1 green wire) to a black wire (ground, there are a lot of those). I used a bent piece of copper wire when I do it, but something as simple as a paperclip would work

hope this helps!

FellintoOblivion says thanks.
  3. FellintoOblivion New Member

Thanks Received:
    All the cables going from my PSU into the 24 pin plug are silver....

Also, I made a mistake, its the fans that have the male/female sets of plugs not the PSU cords....

4. ascstinger

ascstinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah, thatll be difficult then,

you could try finding a pinout, but you'd be better off waiting until you get your components

5. FellintoOblivion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info.