1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First time water build?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ejjman1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    EDIT: I have changed this build around to fit the suggestions and help of people.

This was my first computer build ever, now I wanted to water cool it. If you need more specs, just say.

CPU: core i7, 1366 socket
    Case: HAF 932
    PSU: 1200W

Pump
    Swiftech MCP655 Pump 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller
    -$65.95

Reservoir
    XSPC Clear Dual Bay Reservoir
    -$39.95

CPU Block
    Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock
    -$79.95

Radiator
    ThermoChill PA120.3 3x120mm High Performance Radiator - 15mm Spacing
    -$Too much

Fans [x3]
    YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SM-12 - Medium Speed
    -$10.05

Tubing [15 ft]
    Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing
    -$44.25

Clamps [15 of them?]
    Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/16 in. to 25/32 in.
    -I plan on buying these locally, the same size ones, and hopefully they will be cheaper.

Barbs [6 of them?]
    EK High-Flow Fitting (G 1/4in. Thread, 1/2in. OD)
    -$15

DangerDen Fillport
    Danger Den Delrin Fillport

Coolant - Distilled water +
    Petra's Tech Shop
    -$2.99

Total (w/o shipping) = $331.04

if you think I should change anything, or could help me, that would be swell!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like you did your homework, excellent looking loop! You will need 6 barbs for everything, including the block. I don't really care for the style of barb in that picture.

Those clamp you can pick up at a hardware store, probablly cheaper. I use those style clamps myself and these fittings: http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekhifig1th1o.html ... are fat and long and work perfectly with those clamps.

PT-Nuke isn't needed. I just use a half cap of 99% alcohol and it does the job. Regular isopropyl should work too.

Ejjman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    2 things, I had a Swiftech 655-B that did phenomenal may want to check it out since it's the same price. Also the best i7 block is the Heatkiller 3.0. Get the LT version for $65 and dont forget a backplate:
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkillerlt1366.html

Match your barbs with whatever size tubing your using. 1/2" will be less flexible but give better flow. Thats what I use, kinda the middle of the road for starters.

And you should probably start looking at other's builds to get an idea of what to do. We have a Naturally Aspiring Watercooling Clubhouse thread that got me started with watercooling, it can help you too. :)

Ejjman1 says thanks.
  4. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the extremely quick feedback!

I'm leaning towards the barbs you suggested at Petra's because I think they'll do the job. I was more concerned that the sizes would cause me trouble, but it seems as long as the OD is 1/2" I'm fine. I'll pick up 6, or more incase?

With the Swiftech 655-B, will I still be use the Laing DDC reservoir with it and that'll still be sufficient? I have read the original MCP355 with the reservoir were a great combo.

I do not have any 99% alcohol laying around, can I pick some up at my local store too?

I'll take off the clamps and pick them up locally at Ace Hardware or something. Thanks for that suggestion.

And as for as the Heatkiller 3.0, I found reviews that the XT was the best, but I'll do more research. What do you mean I need to find a backplate for it, though?

5. Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are interested, I will have a TC 120.3 for sale in a couple of days at a very reasonable price. I just bought it, but due to space constraints, that I really need a 120.2.

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Erocker - i thought alcohol is BAD for the res? makes it crack and break?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a little worried that it might not fit in the top of my case. It honestly should, correct, but I might want to complete some measurements first. My current radiator is at $48 or so, is the TC 120.3 better, and how much of a price jump (I see retail is around $119) would we be looking at.

It looks like I'd be paying the same price for the PT Nuke, so I think I'll just leave that on the list. Incase I ever want to redo/add a loop, then I'll have more.

8. Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A cap full will not cause a problem. I still prefer to use PT Nuke. Hell, a bottle costs like $6, and it last forever. Hell, I've had my bottle for a year or more, through several loops...and I've used only 1/3 of the bottle.

I'll send you a PM :)

9. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha, I'm working on a very limited budget, I am only a senior in high school. :laugh:

10. Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not looking to make a profit. The TC is probably the best 120.3 rad available. It's just awesome. I'm just cramped for space. If you purchase this for me (see link), and then paid my shipping to get the 120.3 to you, we'd call it even. Just thought I'd offer.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekradxt240.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a very nice loop. I was going to suggest 3.8 tubing, but you have a large case so you will probably be ok. One thing I will suggest is a better radiator. I have the same radiator in my HTPC case, its a very slim radiator. IF you have the room I would suggest a Dual Pass something like this. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...treme_360_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s161

Notice it is literally twice as thick as the swiftech.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock is the best block ive seen so far in reviews

are you just going to cool the cpu ? where do you want to put the rad ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The HAF has an excellent spot to place it at the top of the case. I plan on using the 3 fans, and it should fit snuggly. I am hoping the TC will fit in there, but I need to make sure.

I plan on just the CPU for now. I cannot afford the NB/SB for my board. Not only that, but I have the x58 sli le, and it is very hard to find in the US, and wherever you do find it, it's sold out.

I have a GTX 295 aswell, but the hydrocopper plate for that is around $178, which is very outside my limit. I hope I can expand sometime, but I just don't see it realistic with my budget.

14. Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will fit.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621627

15. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great find, that makes life easier instead of measuring and worrying!

I am still concerned about the 655-B pump with the XSPC reservoir. I dunno if I should stick with my original pump, or move up.

16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I can validate going from a 120.2 to a 120.3 rad will have noticable improvements. That and the rad Paulieg has is 100% the best 120.3 rad available on the martket. It kept max temps about 10C cooler on load.

17. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you mlee, and I'm thinking I'll definitly make the switch to the better radiator.

As for switching to the MCP655-B, does anyone have suggestions on a reservoir, or should I keep with the XSPC? I would also like to make use of the fill port on the top of the HAF.

EDIT: I brought in an excess of $60 dollars I can spend. I hope this can help make a few adjustments. But I'm still wondering about the questions above...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  18. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just an update, I purchased the 120.3 from Paulieg for an excellent price!

I also added a Danger Den Fillport; I thought I might want to pick one up?

I am also considering switching to the MCP655 -- I would then get a dual reservoir bay from XSPC and would be able to use the Fillport, and would be able to have more liquid flowing through my system (At least the dual bay resses look bigger.) I am worried about mounting with the MCP355 with the top. At the same time, I have no idea about comparing their performance except reviews I've read, which they seem very near the same, but I still don't have a definite answer.

Still looking for any feedback on the pump/reservoir combo! Open to suggestions around the same price.