• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fits: SSD info thread

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
Im going to take an evolution approach to this one. This should help you to understand everything you could possibly need to know about ssds right from the start.

Yes, some of this information is summarized from an article found on Anandtech.com but i aim to take the above mentioned evolution approach to explain SSDs.

1. Basics -

Everyone knows what a flashdrive/jumpdrive/thumbdrive is. It has a single memory chip in it that stores data. This chip is capable of around 10mb/s read for a typical generic drive. The one i have here today just happens to do around 12mb/s read.

The idea of a SSD stemmed from this basic device. Though more complicated, a ssd is generally the same as a flash drive, just larger and made of more chips.

However... if these chips where chained together in one chain end to end they would still only perform at the 12mb/s read speed above.

Solution? RAID! SSDs use arrays of memory chips in a "raid" in order to achieve the high speeds we have come to see. But how? You need a controller for raid don't you? YES. The drives have their own built in controller that controls data transports and management to and from the disk itself.

So let us take what we have learned so far and put it into a real world example.

Lets say we take 20 memory chips and make a drive. We use a simple controller to "raid" the chips that we know are capable of 12mb/s read individually. So that's 20chips x 12mb/s = 240mb/s read!!! Makes more sense now doesn't it?

So where do the problems occur? Lets get more in depth of how this all works.

2. Flash memory, indepth -

NAND flash is made up of cells. each cell holds either 1 or 2 bits of data. These cells are organized into pages. Pages are the smallest structure that's readable/writable in SSDs. These pages hold 4kb each. Pages are then organized into Blocks. Each block has 128 pages in it therefore capable of holding 512kb of data. A block is the smallest level that can be erased in NAND memory.

Source: Anandtech

These blocks are then arranged in to planes. These planes then are arranged into what we see as the actual chips. Depending on the size of the chip, you can have differing groups of planes.

So lets summarize what we just talked about.

NAND flash chips are made up of blocks of pages that contain cells. Each block is 512kb and has 128 pages that are 4kb each. You can read and write data to each individual page IF each page is empty. If the page contains data, it cannot be overwritten. It must be erased first before data can be written to it again. So where is the problem? Remember how i said that the lowest level that can be erased is the block? That means in order to write to a page that has data in it already, you have to erase the entire block of 128 pages before data can be written to that page again. Like i said, you can write to 4kb pages but you must erase entire blocks of 512kb in order to be able to write in those blocks again. AH... now i see the problem emerging.

Another thing to worry about, once you erase NAND memory it lessens the life span of the memory itself. NAND memory can be erased on average about 10,000 times before its not able to work correctly any longer. That right there makes the whole idea look pretty dumb.... but if you think about it in terms of performance, the benefits greatly outweigh the pitfalls.

3. How does this relate to performance? -

Lets say we have a simple SSD. It will have 1 block that contains 5 pages that hold the previously mentioned 4kb each. Let us also say we can only read 2kb/s and write 1kb/s. Now lets write some data to out theoretical drive.

we are going to write a simple text file to the drive...

Since the text file is small it fits in a single 4kb page. That leaves 4 pages free of our block. Now lets write a picture to the drive.

Since the picture is 8kb it fills 2 pages of our block. Now 3 pages are full so we have filled approximately 60% of our drive or 3/5ths. Now lets say we dont need our text file anymore so we delete it. When you delete a file from a hard disk, whether it be SSD or mechanical, the OS simply tells itself that there is no data in that page anymore. The data is not erased however. That is how you can recover data from a drive that has lost its data or after you have deleted data. You cannot recover the data though after it has been overwritten.

So lets say we want to now write a 12kb picture to the drive.

If you remember what we talked about in the last section, the entire block has to be erased before the page is cleared for data to be rewritten to it again. To do that we need to relocate the data somewhere else until the entire block has been erased and the data can be written back to the drive.

So what just happened? From what we normally see, we needed to write a simple 12kb file to a drive and thats what ended up happening. What really happened at the drive level is a bit more complicated though. We had to read 12kb into memory, erase the entire block, and then write 20kb back to the drive so if you do the math it took 26 seconds to perform an operation that should have taken only 12 seconds. Now to put this further into perspective, in a benchmark this event would look like the drive that normally writes at 1kb/s is now only writing at 0.46kb/s which is less than satisfactory causing disappointment and what appears to be "stuttering". This also points to another thing i want to cover. The more you use a SSD, the slower it gets.... to a certain point. Once you begin to fill a SSD it will have to start clearing entire blocks in order to write data to the drive again.

4. Whats the solution? -

There are 2 ways to begin to overcome the previously mentioned problem. The first one being cache and the second one being what Intel calls "Free Space".

Now i bet you didn't know that most SSDs don't have any cache at all. That is one of the contributors to the stuttering we've heard about. So it seems as though if we just add cache to the drives the problem will be eliminated right? Not exactly. What if the drive needs to erase a block that contains data that is linked to many other blocks? To ensure that none of the data is lost or corrupted, we need to relocate the entire group of data so that the pages can be erased and the data can be rewritten to the drive again. Most mechanical hard drives have between 8 and 32mb's of cache depending on the capacity of the drive. On SSDs more cache is needed so we are now seeing drives with 64mb of cache integrated. The data can now be offloaded into the cache so the drive can perform the tasks it needs to complete before being able to rewrite to the drive.

So what's this "Free Space" that Intel uses in its drives?

Intel has generously included both cache and "free space" in their drives. In addition to the cache, the drive has a built in "overhead" of space to use for temporarily relocating the data thus eliminating the stuttering altogether.

I still don't see the "free space"... where is it located? Free space is what i like to referring to as overhead. The Intel drives come in 32gb and 80gb sizes. For example, the 80gb drive will format out to ~79.98gb of usable space BUT actually has 100gb's of actual space that can be used collectively. The extra space that is used as "Free Space" is only seen by the drives internal controller, not the OS. This seamless integration is what makes the Intel drives perform without any hiccups and better than any other SSD to date.

5. Defragmenting? -

A common practice to keep your system up to speed is to defrag your hard drive regularly. This, however, will become a thing of the past when using SSDs.

SSDs are purposely fragmented to allow data to be written across as many chips as possible. This allows faster read and write times because the controller has to read/write from/to many chips rather than just a single source. The raid effect is prevalent here again.

Mechanical hard drives can read/write data faster on the outer portions of the disk but that drops way down as you proceed towards the spindle of the drive. Mechanical drives also have rotational latency. SSDs do not suffer from either one of these problems. Data can be read/wrote to all parts of the drive at the same speed regardless of where its being read from or stored. Yet another reason why defragmenting a SSD is pointless. Also, remember how I said that NAND memory can only be erased 10,000 times or so before it stops working? defragmenting your SSD would force the drive to relocate all the data thus shortening the drives lifespan drastically each time you defrag. NOT a good idea at all.

So how do i restore my drive to that "Like New" speed?

Format and reinstall. Intel includes a bootable disk with all of its SSDs that includes a few disk check and scan utilities as well as a ghosting and backup utility. They also have a special SSD tool that will return the drive to its "Like New" state of absolutely free and clear pages ready to be filled with data again.

Stay tuned, more soon.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Interesting read thus far. Cant wait to see what else you post up.

i haven't had much time to research this, thanks for the start.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Very interesting so far.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
Very interesting to see more about what we were talking about earlier fit. Can't wait to see how this all evolves.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Damn Fits you know alot of stuff, subscribed!

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
1st post updated again if you want to continue the read.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
nicely explained, and certainly makes more sense of things. props to you Fit, props.

NapalmV5

no matter the ssd.. has to be defraged just as any hdd if crawling performance is not preferred

non fragmenting storage/os/apps are decades away..

whom ever says ssds dont need to be defraged dont know wth theyre talking about.. dont mean you fitseries3.. its been said since ssd intro without any intelligence/merit

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I gotta say fits, that's pretty good read. Made me aware of more then I knew about them, and now wanting one!

System Name Mindy -
Processor i7 2600k - i5 4670
Motherboard AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water - Prolimatech Megahalems w/Akasa Viper fan - Intel Cooler
Memory 8GB Samsung Green LP 1600MHz - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680 SC Signature - Palit GTX465 w/Deepcool V6000
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB : OCZ Octane 256GB : 1TB F3 - Crucial M4 64GB : Caviar Black 640GB
Display(s) Asus 27" @ 144Hz - Dell 2408WFP - Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW
Case Banchetto 101 - Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xonar D2X : Logitech Z-5500 : Logitech G930 - Onboard
Power Supply Antec 750w True Power New - Corsair HX650
Software W7 HP x64 - Windows 8.1 Pro x64

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Interesting read. Thanks. Intel looks like they are miles ahead of the game.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Got a question. I got a paper that I have to work on over the next 8 weeks covering emerging technologies. I choose to do mine on SSD's but the professor would like to know a bit more information before he approves or disapproves. He knows what SSD's are but he wants to know how SSD's would relate to networks of computers.

Can anyone think of a reason or two on how SSD's would relate to networks of computers?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Got a question. I got a paper that I have to work on over the next 8 weeks covering emerging technologies. I choose to do mine on SSD's but the professor would like to know a bit more information before he approves or disapproves. He knows what SSD's are but he wants to know how SSD's would relate to networks of computers.

Can anyone think of a reason or two on how SSD's would relate to networks of computers?

One idea comes to mind for future technologies (and emerging) is improved latencies and faster bandwidth, for networking this means even better transfers between pc's over a network. With ssd's amazing with seek and getting better and better with bandwidth it is only going to become the standard in the future because of technology in use and being improved upon today. Lol...I haven't had to write a paper in about a decade, don't necessarily miss it. I like writing guides and mini-reviews better. But really, everythings getting faster at not only throughput, but in seeking what it needs and becoming more efficient. SSD's, quad+ cores, DDR3+, sata3, ssd's, shader cores/stream cores, all are definately a plus of emerging and improving technology.

Sorry if that reason sucks! It is pretty damn general lol! :toast:

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
yes..... hard disks have been the bottleneck for years. thats one of the many reasons raid was developed.

in any type of server, data must be accessed as fast as possible and ssds have an advantage of super fast reads which is ideal for server applications.

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
You ought to split the lower part of Defragmenting off into a section called 'Optimizing', and there you can give info about shutting off services like Indexing and Superfetch also which I heard needs to be done for SSD to work properly in Vista.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Very, very nice Fit. The way SSDs work makes a bit more sense to me now.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
i'll give this a bump for anyone who hasnt seen it

W

wolf2009

nice, thanks for posting. that block, page, cell, 4kb, 128, 512kb stuff really confuses you and has to be read really carefully.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
This thread: I like it.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Man, everytime I read this, and look threw it, i go to Newegg, go into my account, and force myself to not hit the button for a ssd.. Damn funds! :roll:

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
if i had the funds to keep up with the hardware to keep this thread going i would.

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3

A good flash drive for under $8.
Ignore the CPU usage, I am running F@H CPU+GPU.

SanDisk has been very good to me when it comes to SSDs. I hope they make it out of this recession in good standing, because losing them would make me sad.
Also, I recommend this post to STICKIE!

Last edited: