• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fixed my first RRod Xbox 360

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I Gaming
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU and GPU
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Hive
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Saturday night my friend calls me up and since he is getting RRoD so I told him to bring it over. Hooked it up and sure enough there it is, 3(1,2,4) blinking red lights as soon as I turned it on. I've heard alot about it and read a the RRoD was the worst game off all time in Game Informer(They called it: Living on Borrowed Time) so I figured I'd tackle it for him since he used to let me share off his internet. Went online and read a few articles about how to fix it and took the majority of advice from xbox-scene to tackle this issue. I wish I took pictures of this cause something was very disturbing after I popped his 360 open and took off the GPU heatsink...there was thermal paste ALL OVER the GPU, not just the core, I literally mean ALL OVER!

Tools used:
8 5mm .80 x 10 bolts
16 #10 nylon washers
24 5mm steel washers
Kobalt torx driver set..$5 bucks at Lowes
5/16th socket and wrench
Small straight head driver
Crescent wrench
13/64th drill bit + Drill

Here is a quote and awesome info from mlee49:
That'll work for about 50% of the 3RRoD occurances, but you'll need to take further measures to permanetly fix this issue.
I pulled the heatsinks off the gpu and cpu and cleaned both throughly. After clean up I covered the caps and pretty much everything else with two layers of Glad Press and Seal wrapper and then two layers of Aluminum foil. I used a $25 heatgun that I picked up at Lowes(along with the nylon washers and other mounting hardware) to reflow the solder over the GPU, CPU, NB, H/Anna chip. It took 1 minute on low to warm(250C) up and then 4-5 minutes on high(500C) per each side. Circling the chips and going from each chip after about 20-30 seconds.

After reflowing the solder I let it sit for 45 mintues and uncovered the foil/wrapping paper and applied new thermal paste the right way. Attached the new hardware using the bolt-through technique and powered on. No more RROD!

Most of the time new thermal paste will work + the bolth through but you may need to reflow the solder on the board to permanently fix the issue.

Good luck and enjoy fixing your own hardware.

You do not have to remove the cpu heatsink since the issue is with the GPU but I decided since I was in there...why not now!:)

Once I had the board out I used the straight head driver to sit on between the lip and top of the X-clamp and so carefully tilted the driver which will make the clamp lift off of the heatsink mount. Once I did this to 3 of them it came right off. Repeated for the other heatsink(Doesn't matter which one you do first). Once the heatsinks are removed take your crescent and remove the clamp holders on the bottom of the heatsinks because this is where the bolts are going to bolt to.

The longest part of the job would be cleaning since they use, I swear, super glue and thermal paste cause with just 90% alcohol it would've taken forever to clean the GPU and CPU..but Goo Gone is some awesome shit! I basically just put a little Goo Gone in the cap, dipped a cotton swab in it and rubbed it on and around the CPU and GPU core(Also had to clean the little transistors, or whatever they are called, cause Thermal Paste was all over them). Once I cleaned(should have a almost mirror finish), did the same with alcohol to make sure all the Goo Gone was cleaned off before resemble.

Before resembling I took the drill and 13/64th bit and drill the mount holes on the Chassis a little wider so the bolts could fit right through. Once I did that and debured the holes I then took the bolts through the holes and taped them off(I recommend Painters tape or scotch tape which you will see why later). Once the screws are through now take 2 of the steel washers and place them on the bolts on the inside of the chassis and cover with 1 Nylon washer to protect the board..repeat for all 8 bolts.

Now that the chassis is prepared lets put some thermal grease on the CPU and GPU cores. I used AS5 but you can substitute with what you have available and put a little on the GPU core, the little chip next to the GPU core that's on the GPU, and on the CPU core(if you are doing this one as well). Once you have the thermal paste on now put the board into the chassis, gently cause you want to make sure the bolts go through the mount holes(you may have to take a pin and straighten the bolts through the holes as you are laying the board in)

Once the board is in and laying nice and flat on your washers take 1 nylon washer and place it on the bolt and then put 1 steal washer on the nylon, again, to protect the board. Once you have your washers replaced grab them heatsinks and get your socket and socket wrench ready so we can put those heatsinks back on.

If you have ever had to pull a motherboard to install a heatsink, you'll know its best to tighten in a criss-cross pattern. At first your going to go slow and easy, and have some pressure on those heatsinks to make sure the bolts are going through the holes. You'll get to a point were you will start to feel resistance...GOOD! Now tighten in the criss-cross pattern, NOT TO TIGHT, but to were the heatsinks aren't wiggling around.

BEFORE TURNING ON MAKE SURE DVD-ROM DRIVE IS PLUGGED IN

Plug the fan and DVD-ROM drive in but I recommend, makes sense, to place the fan assembly over the Rom drive were one fan is cooling the CPU heatsink. Now plug in your AV cables, so your not getting the 4 RRoD, and the power supply and fire that baby up

What's this...3 RRoD still. Yes, that's because overtime the BGA's on the GPU may have become undone but what we are going to do is try to get them back in place which is why I stated the way you should have your fan plugged in. Now let them system run for 15-20 min flashing the RRoD. You may notice over the time frame it will start to flash only 2 lights which is a good sign, or just keep on flashing the 3 lights. Once the 15-20min is up turn your 360 off and let it sit for 10-15min. Turn it on

You may already have your 360 working again or it might be still doing the 3 RRoD. If you still have the 3 RRoD's don't worry, It took me readjusting the bolts and 3 tries of the turn on 15min, turn off 10min; to get his going again.

I will get some pictures up since now he called his friend up and this weekend I'll be working on his but it only took almost 2hrs of my time so no big deal.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Welcome to the club! I've fixed several of these guys. It becomes second nature after the second one.

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
well done sir! It's too bad all the RRoD fixes came out after both of my f'ups but whatcha gonna do right? Glad to see it worked!

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
nice guide!

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
That'll work for about 50% of the 3RRoD occurances, but you'll need to take further measures to permanetly fix this issue.
I pulled the heatsinks off the gpu and cpu and cleaned both throughly. After clean up I covered the caps and pretty much everything else with two layers of Glad Press and Seal wrapper and then two layers of Aluminum foil. I used a $25 heatgun that I picked up at Lowes(along with the nylon washers and other mounting hardware) to reflow the solder over the GPU, CPU, NB, H/Anna chip. It took 1 minute on low to warm(250C) up and then 4-5 minutes on high(500C) per each side. Circling the chips and going from each chip after about 20-30 seconds.

After reflowing the solder I let it sit for 45 mintues and uncovered the foil/wrapping paper and applied new thermal paste the right way. Attached the new hardware using the bolt-through technique and powered on. No more RROD! :D

Most of the time new thermal paste will work + the bolth through but you may need to reflow the solder on the board to permanently fix the issue.

Good luck and enjoy fixing your own hardware. :)

EDIT: too bad we cant give guides for flashing your DVD drive :)

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
I was glad to see it worked too but last night I found out he is having another issue, which I think is his caused by his Rom drive. He says when playing Halo 3 it will load maps but kicks him out fairly regularly and will say unreadable disc. His disc looks ok besides a few micro scratches but he said this issue was also happening with GTAIV and GoW so that makes me believe its the rom drive. Also found out he dissembled the rom drive to clean the lens per Bungie:shadedshu

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro

After reflowing the solder I let it sit for 45 mintues and uncovered the foil/wrapping paper and applied new thermal paste the right way. Attached the new hardware using the bolt-through technique and powered on. No more RROD! :D

Good luck and enjoy fixing your own hardware. :)

EDIT: too bad we cant give guides for flashing your DVD drive :)

That could have been my alternate process of turning on 15-20 min, turning off 10min and would have cut some time down! Thanks for the info.

All I did to fix mine was put washers on the back of the X-Clamp so the heatsink's put more pressure on the CPU/GPU, after that it was fine and still works.

Processor Intel i7 4790k 4.4 GHz 1.2v
Motherboard Gigabyte Z-97x Gaming 5
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900NT
Memory 24GB Corsair 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Ghost 7950
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB, Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Left: Dell SP2208WFP Center: Acer S240HL Right: LG Flatron L225ws
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Mobo
Power Supply EVGS Supernova G2 850w
Software Windows 10 X64
i didnt have to bother with any of that, i just replaced the x-clamps with screws and tightened them. at first i was convinced it didnt work, so i stuck it in the cupboard and forgot about it. then, i decided to try again. i loosened the screws, and overheated the chips (run with the dvd drive in place, a video cable connected and the fans plugged in, with the fans pointing down on the CPU heatsink. did that, still rrod. then i loosened the screws even more and overheated again. then tightened them and started up: back to life again. the fans were at full pelt (ie overheat mode) but ridge racer 6 was playing flawlessly. i tightened them a bit more, and hey presto, back to normal. its still running after 8 months i think (maybe 10). no cooling mods, no extra heatsonks, just some new thermal paste and some screws. but i think i got off easy.

anyways, good to hear you fixed it :)

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
Just wondering...Did anyone ever try to make their own LC kit for the 360??

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Nice 1, but do you know whats better to use than AS5.....MX-2 :rockout:

jiffy

I recently got the RRoD and when I looked online to find out a fix for it, I came across this thread. So, I followed the directions and attempted the fix, but came into a problem. When I try to turn on the system to overheat it, the RRoD lights come on, the fans kick on for a second but then turn off. The system doesn't seem to be on, except for the flashing lights. The power cord light flashes green when I turn it on, then goes back to yellow. Is there something I did wrong? Does anyone know how to fix this now?

Thanks.

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
Sounds like either the power supply isn't plugged in all the way or something is wrong with your power supply. Was it doing that before? Also did you for sure clean the GPU and CPU really good cause I noticed on my friends thermal paste was EVERY WHERE!! I also did whip out the air compressor before putting the board back in to make sure no metal shavings were laying in the chassis.

jiffy

The GPU and CPU were pretty much drenched in the old thermal paste. It took quite a long time to get it all off, and as you had described, it sure was everywhere. But, I did get all of it off with much difficulty. As I was taking apart the system to begin with I was using air to clean all the dust out of everything, so I don't really think that is the problem. As for the power cord, that was the only thing I was thinking might still be wrong. It clicks into place when I plug it in, so I am wondering if the cord is just shot all together and I need a new one.

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
I would try unplugging the power supply from the wall and 360, and disconnect the power cord from the power supply. Give it 10-15 seconds, reassemble, and plug it back in. If still no luck then I think your power supply unit is bad.

jiffy

I
I will try that and repost in a few minutes if it worked or not.

jiffy

Still no luck. I will borrow someone elses power cord and try that one to see if that works, if it does, I'll know for sure and simply buy one. Thanks.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Excellent story. I like how these companies lube up the whole console with thermal paste like it solves the issue.

I'm going to rrod mine so I get a new one. How should I do it.

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
Not a problem.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Pictures or it didnt happen. :laugh:

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I will get pictures up once I start working on his friends "New" Elite that now has RRoD.

Man I'm just kidding you. You should know have the things I say are shit. Anyway I would love to see pics so I better understand on how to do it.

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
Excellent story. I like how these companies lube up the whole console with thermal paste like it solves the issue.

I'm going to rrod mine so I get a new one. How should I do it.

Sit in on a Radiator heater that is running and play on your 360 for awhile...I'm sure that would help in your cause!!! (Im not liable for any damages that occur)

Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Software Win 11 Pro
Man I'm just kidding you. You should know have the things I say are shit. Anyway I would love to see pics so I better understand on how to do it.

You didn't offend me. I just wanted you and others to know I will be getting pictures up soon, just waiting on him to bring his 360 to me so I can start on it. :toast: