1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Solaris17, Apr 16, 2016.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
  2. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    Honestly had no idea as recent as the 13th a sweeping change had taken place. Actually looked at askwoody and gave up a page too soon.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I have a reserve partition I just did that's not even SP1 I have to deal with when I get home

4. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    @Solaris17 I have struggled with this little piece of shi...ne (Asus eeepc T101MT / Windows 7 32 bits, not even SP1) for the last 40hours and the damn thing would not get updates.

[​IMG]

Wsus offline miserably failed to do the job after hammering the CPU all night long + the morning after, and that's when i remembered this thread and your script !

At this point you saved my week end, I've got all sunday afternoon left to complete 125+ updates, and get this fine piece of crapware to its owner.

One comment though : maybe i did not leave the computer alone long enough, but except for the last stage, i had to reboot manually in between each 5 stages.

Thanks for this great script !

Jetster and Solaris17 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    No problem! Thank you so much glad it helped! I am aware that sometimes it stalls I have a new version I am testing right now that might alleviate it to some degree. On a basic level it's the actual exe patches that are stalling and unfortunately Microsoft does not give me a way to monitor them. It's a small trade off.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I just did two that were pre SP1 and they updated to SP1 by themselves, within 30 min. Then I applied the Solaris patch. No issues

Solaris17 says thanks.
  7. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    How do I stop the patch program from popping up everytime I turn on or reboot the PC? its not wanting to work on W8.1 Pro and just want it to go away but I cant stop it, any ideas?

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I did the same thing. Just run msconfig and delete it there

Melvis and Kursah say thanks.
  9. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep as @Jetster said, use MSCONFIG and remove the startup entry.

But something could very likely be wrong with your OS, could be corruptions causing issues or even a corrupted update cache...I've seen both A LOT in 7 and 8, and even 10.

I'd suggest you run an SFC /scannow on your OS and see if there's issues that are preventing the next stage of updates to occur or fail to be detected. Is your install failing to update?

If SFC finds issues, DISM would be next. Check out the Windows repair thread in my sig for further instructions. That might help to get you where you were going with the whole update process anyways. :toast:

Melvis and rtwjunkie say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    All good thanks guys, I figured it out by disconnecting the PC from the internet triggered it again and was able to finish the proccess, strange!

11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, tried installing Windows 7 on my crappy laptop yesterday and updating went fine. No infinite looking for updates and I haven't done anything compared to the last time...

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Little known information.
    Back in about 2013 or so, we had a client using an email provider, who was providing Exchange services thru Microsoft for the end user. One day, I get a call to the location, and every single computer on Windows XP had stopped connecting to the server. The two computers running Windows 7 were just fine. I contacted the vendor, and I get one of the few high-level guys in the business. He explains that they've been dealing with the issue all day. Microsoft had changed their exchange server, and it would no longer respond to WinXP computers unless we pointed them directly at the IP, not the name of the server.
    Moral of the story? M$ will change things on their servers to make things harder for end users, and never tell anyone. Every now and then, they screw up and either undo those changes, or make things easier. They still don't tell anyone.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It actually made it easier in this case :p

Though I had weird problems with WLAN dropping connection and failing to connect for no reason. With driver that worked before and I had it backed up for this very purpose because this Broadcom wasn't detected by default by Win7. But visit to Station Drivers solved it :)

The updating though is just silly on Win7. Sure it's on crappy weak laptop, but same laptop does Windows 10 updates in a breeze. Win7 needed 6 full hours to do just critical system updates. I didn't even start working with optional ones XD

Ahhzz says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. lorraine walsh

lorraine walsh

Thanks Received:
    Lol yes and sometimes auto retrieve are on the go.

same laptop does Windows 10 updates in a breeze. Win7 needed 6 full hours to do just critical system updates. I q100% agreed on the point.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017