• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing original VBIOS causes my laptop to show error 43.

hyun12k

Hi all,

I have a Clevo P650RS-G (w/ i7-6700HQ and GTX 1070) laptop with MUXED function - to use dGPU only.

Before flashing the new VBIOS, I checked my UEFI screen and confirmed that the original VBIOS version was 86.04.2A.00.0E.

I made a backup of the original VBIOS using GPU-Z, and flashed a new Clevo VBIOS, hoping it would fix one of my GPU problems.

Turns out that flashing the VBIOS bricked my GTX 1070. So, naturally, I flashed the backup rom. Now this is where it gets werid.

I flashed the backup, and my laptop still gives me error code 43 on device manager. At this stage, nVIDIA drivers for GTX 1070 install fine, but device manager, games and GPU-Z all do not recognize the 1070.

Then, I tried all 14 clevo VBIOS for GTX 1070 that I could find on this site. One of them works and does not spit out error 43.

The interesting part is: the VBIOS that works is not meant to be for P650RS-G, nor has the same clock as my backup. (version name:86.04.88.00.24, https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/209075/209075) Yet, this is the only version that my computer would not give me error 43.

With version 86.04.88.00.24, I ran 3DMark: Fire Strike and got 15.8k graphics score, which is subpar but acceptable. However, I tried running other games but I did not get the performance level I would expect from a 1070.

I tried to set my laptop to use only dGPU with version 86.04.88.00.24 - when I did this, the laptop keyboard would light up and the fan would run, but no boot logo or screen. Just pure black.

I understand that this site has 86.04.2A.00.0E rom (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192632/192632), I've tried it and I still get error 43.

I tried googling but I could not find any forums or posts that says their backup is causing them problems. What should I do?

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Flash the original VBIOS back, uninstall Nvidia drivers, use DDU from safe mode to perform a cleanup, and then reinstall the drivers again.

Can also try to reflash the laptop BIOS, sometimes it includes the VBIOS in it.

hyun12k

Can also try to reflash the laptop BIOS, sometimes it includes the VBIOS in it.
Tried this already, sadly it did not have the original VBIOS.

So, update while I was waiting for replies.

I installed the original NVIDIA driver that came with the laptop - version 369.something, dated back in October 2016.
AND THE COMPUTER RECOGNIZED 86.04.2A.00.0E VERSION AS WELL.

Still no MUXED though, when I try discrete on the UEFI menu, I still get black screen with no boot logo or anything but the keyboard lights up and the fan runs.

I will try DDU and report back.

Flash the original VBIOS back, uninstall Nvidia drivers, use DDU from safe mode to perform a cleanup, and then reinstall the drivers again.

Tried, GPU is recognized with nvidia driver 369.56 but I still get error with any driver versions higher than this.

And the muxed issue persists as well.

What else can I do?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Make sure you use all graphic drivers from Clevo website. Install Intel first then Nvidia.

Check if this happens with a Linux LiveCD. If so, contact Clevo and ask for their help.

If you restored the original VBIOS, and still getting errors, i doubt if there is anything you can do to fix it.