• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flexible peel-and-stick solar cells developed

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Researchers at Stanford University have created the world’s first flexible photovoltaic solar cells. The new solar cells can be applied to almost anything and the scientists demonstrated this by putting the solar cells on peel-and-stick film which can be applied to rough, smooth, flat or curved surfaces. Until now most solar cells were rigid, stiff and relatively heavy fixed structures mostly due to having to be applied to substrates like glass.

The scientific paper detailing the new peel-and-stick solar cells was published by Nature late last week and entitled Peel-and-Stick: Fabricating Thin Film Solar Cell on Universal Substrates. The paper describes how it is currently difficult to manufacture solar cells using anything other than rigid and heat tolerant silicon or glass based materials, however “Here, we report a new peel-and-stick process that circumvents these fabrication challenges by peeling off the fully fabricated TFSCs from the original Si wafer and attaching TFSCs to virtually any substrates regardless of materials, flatness and rigidness.” So manufacturing is done on a rigid, heat resistant surface and then the solar cells are peeled/transferred off.

Using the peel-and-stick process the researchers could apply solar cells to many different surfaces such as paper, plastics, mobile phones and room windows. Furthermore the surfaces where you apply the peel-and-stick cells to don’t have to be flat; “Now you can put them on helmets, cell phones, convex windows, portable electronic devices, curved roofs, clothing – virtually anything,” said Xiaolin Zheng, a Stanford assistant professor of mechanical engineering and senior author of the research paper.

Importantly none of this bending and shaping and added flexibility in the solar cells had an impact upon the original solar cell efficiency. It’s not a case of taking a step forward and then a step back. The peel-and-stick process is also frugal with resources “There's also no waste. The silicon wafer is typically undamaged and clean after removal of the solar cells, and can be reused,” explained Zheng.

http://hexus.net/ce/news/gadgets/49681-flexible-peel-and-stick-solar-cells-developed/

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thats pretty awesome, and I could definitely see some uses for it. But what kind of output are we talking about here? Would one of those be enough to charge a cell phone?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
That is cool. I think that it would take awhile to charge a dead cell phone given the output of such a small panel and the conversion efficiently, but it would probably be quite useful to keep a phone "topped off" when not in use.

I have a solar panel battery charger (about 1' x 3' panel) and it will charge a car battery but takes about a week. It works very well for keeping my ATV batteries maintained though.

Like anything, people will be interest in three things; output power, cost and reliability. If those are met, this would be a very good product.

I'm tired of replacing these name brand and no-name batteries these days. Seems that years ago things were not so green, BUT the batteries lasted much longer. Now, batteries do not last.

DarrenHorton

Researchers at Stanford University have created the world’s first flexible photovoltaic solar cells. The new solar kits can be applied to almost anything and the scientists demonstrated this by putting the solar cells on peel-and-stick film which can be applied to rough, smooth, flat or curved surfaces. Until now most solar cells were rigid, stiff and relatively heavy fixed structures mostly due to having to be applied to substrates like glass.

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2012/12/2f7793f6-4551-4ee8-ac95-9de57aa6c325.jpg

The scientific paper detailing the new peel-and-stick solar cells was published by Nature late last week and entitled Peel-and-Stick: Fabricating Thin Film Solar Cell on Universal Substrates. The paper describes how it is currently difficult to manufacture solar cells using anything other than rigid and heat tolerant silicon or glass based materials, however “Here, we report a new peel-and-stick process that circumvents these fabrication challenges by peeling off the fully fabricated TFSCs from the original Si wafer and attaching TFSCs to virtually any substrates regardless of materials, flatness and rigidness.” So manufacturing is done on a rigid, heat resistant surface and then the solar cells are peeled/transferred off.

Using the peel-and-stick process the researchers could apply solar cells to many different surfaces such as paper, plastics, mobile phones and room windows. Furthermore the surfaces where you apply the peel-and-stick cells to don’t have to be flat; “Now you can put them on helmets, cell phones, convex windows, portable electronic devices, curved roofs, clothing – virtually anything,” said Xiaolin Zheng, a Stanford assistant professor of mechanical engineering and senior author of the research paper.

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2012/12/370fefaf-0a93-4144-b376-d17b2442167d.jpg

Importantly none of this bending and shaping and added flexibility in the solar cells had an impact upon the original solar cell efficiency. It’s not a case of taking a step forward and then a step back. The peel-and-stick process is also frugal with resources “There's also no waste. The silicon wafer is typically undamaged and clean after removal of the solar cells, and can be reused,” explained Zheng.

http://hexus.net/ce/news/gadgets/49681-flexible-peel-and-stick-solar-cells-developed/

Just awesome panels.. I am looking to get cost effective solar panels for my home so I wil contact you soon

Last edited: