• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

For any 5 series crossfire users experiencing this, please give this a go!

Enmity

System Name Enmity
Processor Intel i5 3570K 4.6Ghz@1.320vcore
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 2 x 4 GB Mushkin Frostbyte 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) 2 x MSI 5850's
Storage 1 x 90GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 1 x 1TB HDD, 3 x 320GB HDD
Display(s) Samsung XL2370
Case Coolermaster Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG PCI + Senn HD485's
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Ok so the problem that has plagued myself and a handful of other users over the past few months goes like this :

It seems to affect 5 series crossfire users, particularly 5850 crossfire from what i've seen.

the problem:
Heaven 2.0 bench crashes after seconds of it being run - only with tessellation enabled
Stone giant demo crashing with tessellation enabled
Dirt 2 freezing whenever crowd is set to ultra.

if you're experiencing this you'll probably find this also :
heaven 1.0 works fine with tessellation
AvP works fine with tessellation
Heaven 2.0 works fine too - if you IMMEDIATELY hit spacebar as you enter the bench and go free roam while tessellation is enabled. However if the bench runs it's usual loop it'll freeze usually at the end of the pathway in the first scene, but sometimes goes to the 2nd or 3rd scene before it locks up.

You'll also find that if you disable catai and inturn turn off crossfire ALL of these games and benches work fine with whatever levels of tessellation you like.

What has worked for me and a few others in this thread :
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319171&page=3

What I did was I removed both of my reference 5850 cards and simply switched the slave card to the masters position and vice versa - simply swapped the cards around. now this alone could be what fixed it, but I also changed the orientation of my crossfire bridges too So if you're experiencing any of these symptoms above please give this a go. It's worked for a few of us but not all.

Another guy who had this problem found that in his trifire set up that everything worked fine running two cards but as soon as trifire was enabled he was experiencing this tessellation issue too. In his case he had 2x reference sapphire 5850 cards and then added a non reference 5850 and then this started happening. He unfortunately RMA'd his non reference card to get another reference sapphire 5850 before we found out that swapping the cards around seems to fix it for a few of us. So again, if this is happening to you give this a try. Hopefully no RMA required.

I just wanted to let everyone know about this because its been annoying the hell out of myself and quite a few others including paulieg who started a thread about it here a few months back (hope this works for you man)

Anyway, give it a try if this is happening to you :)

Cheers.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Yea I've always understood it that crossfiring a reference card with a non reference card was a big no no and bound to cause problems.

Enmity

System Name Enmity
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
yeah but thats just it, his third card wasn't reference and that might have been what was wrong in his case but then in my case my 2 5850's are identical, both reference and purchased at the same time, same shop,same brand, same bios and were ordered from MSI and arrived at the store together. Yet we still had this happen. Theres a lot of users out there that had this issue using identical reference cards like myself. I'm still waiting to hear back from paulieg to see if he's fixed it yet and if not to give this a go.

Enmity

System Name Enmity
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
usually if you have a non reference card you should put it as the master - especially if its the overclocked editions - I'm just glad this tessellation problems fixed, i've been plagued with it ever since dirt 2 was launched and i found it'd crash whenever crowd was set to ultra. then when heaven 2.0 came out it would freeze every time u bench with tessellation enabled. So it's been around for a while and theres been a few people affected.

itchymcgee

I have a crazy solution that worked.

...i want to post my fix and hopefully can help someone else too....

i tried the swapping the cards trick and that didnt work, here is what did ...i saw on you tube that a guy with 5850 cf had issues with tessellation because of his FRAPS application and MSI afterburner, i got to thinking that it was not BIOS, hardware, drivers/PSU....i uninstalled Asus SmartDoctor and OSD and other "tweekers" ...all of them!.... did not enable ati Overdrive....

everything worked....later while messing around i got the freezing back (my own fault) on my asus EAH5850 CF ....i reinstalled the smartdoctor and osd and later uninstalled them again...Blam!! it worked again...so anyone can try to fix there own by doing this and it does not take long, i dont know why it works but it works great...

if you succeed please post it to all the other forums for me, as i do not have time ..thanks everyone...now i am enjoying dirt2/bf2bc/unigen Heaven in full tessellation, directx 11 goodness :)

system: unlocked x2 550 callisto
ASUS M489TD PRO MOBO
WIND 7 X64 BIT
750W CORSAIR PSU

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
Well I fixed my cards by switching witch slot they were in too! Although now I have a 5850 as my main card instead of a 5870 witch suck in the case of none xfire games.

Anyone wanna trade a perfectly good 5870 for a 5850????

If so PM me

System Name 2K Gamer
Processor AMD 8370 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Pro Gaming / Aura 970
Cooling Corsair H60 AIO
Memory 16GB G. Skill RipJaw @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP! GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 600 Gig HDD (Raid 0 @ 7,500) / WD 1TB Blue @ 7,200 / PNY 128 GB SSD For Linux
Display(s) 27'' ASUS 144MHZ G-SYNC Read 1400p Gaming Monitor / 23'' LG LCD Flatron W2361VG 1080p @ 50,000:1
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1 HD Realtek
Power Supply 750w Corsair HX
Mouse Cougar Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse
Software Windows 10 64bit Education Edition
Did you check and make sure your bridge isn't broken? Must be a driver problem, DriveSweeper all your drives and in safe mode, if that doesn't work call the manufactor or set up an RMA :-\

Enmity

System Name Enmity
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
theres nothing actually wrong with his 5870 or crossfire bridge as far as we can gather. But for some reason we are finding that theres some cards that just don't seem to work as a master card. Can't see any logical reason why, but by swapping the cards around like that seems to fix the problem when tessellation is used in heaven 2.0, dirt 2 and stone giant demo.

The only reason how we found out was that a thread was started at guru3d - there was a group of 5 - 10 of us affected by the problem. All of us did SO much troubleshooting for months, contacting ati/unigine, reinstalling drivers, driversweeping, reinstalling DX,chipset drivers, onboard sound, formatting windows...all to find this problem was STILL there..was so frustrating.

Until someone decided to swap the cards around and holy crap it worked :) Still have no clue why it works, just know it does in fact work for alot of us :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Until someone decided to swap the cards around and holy crap it worked :) Still have no clue why it works, just know it does in fact work for alot of us :)

Sounds to me like the North Bridge Filter Driver isn't installed. :)

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Sounds to me like the North Bridge Filter Driver isn't installed. :)

Any way people with this problem.... Heaven just released the 2.1 version of their Benchmark. I am planning on downloading it and giving it a shot.

So.....I will report back if anything changes

theres nothing actually wrong with his 5870 or crossfire bridge as far as we can gather. But for some reason we are finding that theres some cards that just don't seem to work as a master card. Can't see any logical reason why, but by swapping the cards around like that seems to fix the problem when tessellation is used in heaven 2.0, dirt 2 and stone giant demo.

The only reason how we found out was that a thread was started at guru3d - there was a group of 5 - 10 of us affected by the problem. All of us did SO much troubleshooting for months, contacting ati/unigine, reinstalling drivers, driversweeping, reinstalling DX,chipset drivers, onboard sound, formatting windows...all to find this problem was STILL there..was so frustrating.

Well there is a chance I might get a second 5850 instead of keeping my 5870........I might trade for one this is stupid having that card if I can't use it.

But I might also decide to get a reference 5850 instead of the non reference 5850 I have now. If that..... happens instead of the trade.... I will let you know if that works.

From what I understand.....the problem happens to be a Non reference card mixed with a Reference card. Why this happen .... it doesn't make sense. But there have been a couple places where I read that a people having the same problems we have been having sent back there non reference cards.... got a reference on e and it worked.

If that is the case why it is happening..... then no wonder ATI is hiding. I smell recall!!!! But even though I have owned ATI cards for years..... I don't think ATI would have the balls to do that. They would just rather hide!

Last edited:
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
++++++Heaven Benchmark 2.1v Does not work as well...... So I just waisted time switching my cards back++++++ Again same symptoms...... Works fine By them selves and works fine with tessellation off....... but doesn't work with tessellation on in Crossfire!!! This Sucks!!!