• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

For those with Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X issues...

Addicted

Hi all,

GG over at VGAforums has made a post regarding issues with the Sapphire Vapor-X card. This refers to the boot issue where the card sits with fan @ 100% and displays no image.

It has been identified in cards with the following SKU/PN so far:
SKU#11150-05 // P/N:288-1E115-020SA

Can people with this problem please post either here or in the VGA forums sticky (http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?p=141572#post141572) with purchase details of their cards, including purchase date, retailer and location.

For example mine was:
Purchased 8/7/09 from the ComputerLounge online store based in Auckland, New Zealand.

This will help Sapphire know how wide-spread the issue is.

If there are people with the same problem, but different SKU/PN numbers, can they post these numbers as well.

If you are experiencing this issue, contact your retailer for an RMA.

Regards.

Last edited:
W

warlock

I have the same card and I suspect a conflict with my X-Fi extreme gamer. I installed an old pci video card so I could access my system, for some reason this seemed to interfere with my sound card. Although this fixed my new 4890. When I tried to reinstall my sound card, the 4890 stopped working and the fan on the video card maxed out. I removed the sound card again and everything went back to normal.
P.S. I purchased it from Newegg on 7/15 Item #: N82E16814102841

SKU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
W

warlock

After last post I uninstalled the creative drivers, went back to on board sound. Installed an old pci tuner card into pci slot to see if it would have any effect, Everything works fine and vista was looking for drivers for the tuner card. So I installed the X-fi it booted fine and vista wants drivers for that also. Now after reinstalling the creative drivers black screen and high fan speed again. uninstalled the X-fi and everything's back to normal again! seems to be a driver conflict.

dyermaker

i also have a sapphire card with this issue.. serial and pn checks out (SKU#11150-05 // P/N:288-1E115-020SA). when i first installed the card, the fan was maxed out like the guy before me said. at first i thought it was an issue with my onboard vga (ati hd3200) .. i eventually got the other card installed by booting into windows with onboard and no power cables attached to the sapphire... installed software, changed bios to use PCI and disabled onboard. rebooted.. same problem again. i changed power cables around, disconnected my 2 case fans, dvdrw drive and the power to my creative audigy soundcard.. that seemed to work. in troubleshooting, i thought one of my fans was now the culprit.. until i tried connecting the dvd drive and got the same problem again. (grrR) so i turned to google and found this thread... which gave me some heart cause at least then i knew something else was going on. seeing as i had an audigy in there as well, i removed it completely from the motherboard and that seemed todo the trick. i now have all case fans and my dvdrw connected. however, just this morning i powered on.. the sapphires fan was maxed out again, i power cycled like 3 times quickly until i heard the fan whirring at low speed (thats when you know its worked). so i guess the problem has not been fixed completely.. not to mention i like to use my audigy for dj'ing with traktor, am stuck with my crappy onboard realtek for now. i opened a support ticket with sapphire before the weekend (i also pointed them to this thread btw). got a reply this morning.. this is what they said..

Dear Sir :
Please help to read our warranty policy here at first - http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/support/?cid=3&psn=000203

Then prepare your receipt and contact your reseller to go RMA process.

Thanks.

no mention of what the problem actually is or anything.. just to RMA the board.. have you lot made any progress since? im posting my sys specs below anyway, it might help..

Phenom XII 710 x3
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.1)
2GB Crucial 8500 CL5 DDR2 1066mhz unganged
X-Power GTX Light 580W PSU
Samsung Syncmaster 957p CRT

Last edited:

Dreadnought33

Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P67
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill RipjawX DDR3-1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire Radeon HD5850 Xtreme
Storage Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60 GB + 3 SATA2 HDD, various models & size
Display(s) Samsung 275T
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) Auzentech XFi Forte 7.1
Power Supply be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 W
Software Windows 7 x64 HP
Damn, I have that same problem, only I thought it was the MB with a cold boot problem:(. I have a Spphire HD4890 1 GB VaporX with the same SKU and Part numbers and, as you say, when the system starts, the VGA sits there doing nothing with its cooler at max speed.

I also have an XFi card, athough from Auzentech, not Creative.

I bought mine from Coolmod, in Spain, 24-07-09.

What a peacefull upgrade I'm having this time

D

Deleted member 24505

That GG mod is a tool.

Dont disagree with him on that forum or he'll ban ya.

Dreadnought33

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung 275T
Case Cooler Master HAF X
No, I haven't. Up until today didn't know that the cold boot problem was VGA related nor that an XFi could be a part of that problem. I'll try it tomorrow but, even if it works, it isn't a good solution for my problem because I want to be able to use both the VGA and the sound card. But be assured :D that I'll try that and tomorrow I'll comment my results here.

dyermaker

i hear ya.. i would like to be able to use my soundcard as well. what kind of juice does your powersupply give as a matter of interest? i might try and fiddle with irq settings later or something i dunno. if all else fails i could rma for an asus gefore 275 for 5 euro more.

Dreadnought33

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung 275T
Case Cooler Master HAF X
As PSU I have a Corsair HX1000W. I have heard that this PSU are somewhat noisy on their rails but I've had this unit for almost a year, powering a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 and never had any problems.

Anyway, I have already contacted the vendor and I hope I can get a new VGA soon.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Have any of you with this problem tried to uninstall the ATi HDMI audio driver to see if that is the problem?

Dreadnought33

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung 275T
Case Cooler Master HAF X
No, I didn't think of that. But, anyway, the problem is not Windows related but hardware related, so uninstalling the HDMI Audio Driver I don't think would solve the cold boot issue imho

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
A boot issue could very well happen with an IRQ conflict.

Dreadnought33

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) Samsung 275T
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Sorry, but I'm lost right there. I know that when the board starts, it assigns IRQ to all the components which are connected to it, am I right?? I was told a very long time ago to install propietary sound cards in the last PCI slot, because it's the one usually doesn't give IRQ conflicts, although I've never known why (but has worked up until now).

So, if the problem is an IRQ conflict, maybe it can be solved changing the audio card to another PCe slot, maybe more if we bear in mind that mine is in a PCe x16 slot, I don't really know if this has something to do with this issue or not. But I fail to see how uninstalling the HDMI Audio Driver from the VGA could solve this problem. I mean, if you could deactivate that sound card in the VGA, maybe it could work, but the drivers... I don't know, I'm probably quite tired and I fail to see your reasoning; or maybe I'm too dumb to understand it:laugh:, which could also be quite possible. And I'm not being sarcastic, ok ;)

Last edited:

dyermaker

erocker: are you suggesting the ati hdmi driver could somehow be conflicting with a pci soundcard? ive been reading up and im a bit confused by this whole hdmi passthrough on the ati cards. im using onboard sound atm via Realtek ALC889A.. when i first installed that, i also installed realteks driver that came with the motherboard which included microsofts UAA bus driver. with my creative audigy installed and onboard disabled i had the symptoms mentioned above (sytem booted but with blank blinking monitor, fan maxed out on the sapphire). in device manager at present i have 'ATI HDMI Audio' and 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
So help me out here is this problem with all Vapor-x 4890's or just some. I only ask as I have one on the way and waiting for on my refrence sapphire 4890 RMA so I can get it exchanged to anotherr vapor-x . I have a XFI xtreme gamer looks like I may well run into trouble here. BTW I did read the first post. But could there be two seprate issues? one driver related and the other BIOS related?

Last edited:

dyermaker

we dont really know whats causing it.. so far i guess you could say, as in the first post and my own card.. it seems to affect cards with this SKU/PN: SKU#11150-05 // P/N:288-1E115-020SA
i use xp sp3 as well whether or not that makes a difference. i dont see anything bios related unless its an irq problem which ill try to investigate.. drivers dont seem to be the problem.

Blacklash

System Name The Thrashing Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.0GHz (1.45v)
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV (AMD 890FX)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE
Memory GeIL Black Dragon DDR3 1600 (4x2Gb)
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon HD 5870 1Gb (x2)
Storage WD VelociRaptor 150Gb HD (x2)
Display(s) Acer GD235HZbid
Case SilverStone TJ10-B
Power Supply SILVERSTONE OP1000-E
Software Vista HP x64 SP2
Try running MSconfig and disabling the service CTHelper. It's been notorious for causing all kind of problems in the past. It's a Creative service installed with the driver.

I remember a while ago this service could cause some CPUs to peg at 100 load and not drop.

dyermaker

thanks but i use kxproject drivers anyway. i suspected my power supply might not be upto scratch @ 580w because i did manage to get the system to boot eventually with my audigy (although same problem when i hooked up my dvd drive) but someone here has a 1,000w corsair so...

Last edited:

Addicted

From what I know it is a hardware fault on that batch of cards, I have sent mine in for an RMA and my retailer has said that the entire batch was recalled so I have to wait for new stock to arrive in the country to get my replacement.

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
got mine today looks like the box has been opened at some stage:shadedshu

SKU# 11150-05-41R
PN 288-1E115-020SA
will be testing soon to see how it goes.

Losang

I've got the same problem with my vapor x with that sku/pn

oddly enough I try it in my friends pc and it works fine.

Must be conflicting with my system somehow

Bought 28/7/09 from pccasegear.com in melbourne

Last edited:
System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
I've got the same problem with my vapor x with that sku/pn

oddly enough I try it in my friends pc and it works fine.

Must be conflicting with my system somehow

Bought 28/7/09 from pccasegear.com in melbourne

I got mine from the same store :p have not tried it out yet waiting for my i7 gear to arrive tomorow:toast:

BTW @ Losang welcome to TPU :rockout:

Last edited:

dyermaker

i have decided to return my card and start the RMA process.

Last edited:
System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
That sucks mon. I hope this isssue is not too widespread I was looking forward to a nice the silant cooling. (The standard cooler is too loud for me) .