• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fortnite Receiving NVIDIA RTX, DLSS, & Reflex Support on September 17th

Fortnite, one of the world's most popular games, is about to get faster, more beautiful, and even more responsive on PC with the addition of groundbreaking NVIDIA technologies. Ray-traced visual effects, NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex, and a custom RTX map will be added during Fortnite Chapter 2 - Season 4, thanks to a new Epic Games and NVIDIA partnership.

Immersive ray-traced effects, powered by GeForce RTX's RT Cores, dramatically improve the fidelity and detail of Fortnite's stylized world. With NVIDIA DLSS, performance is greatly accelerated thanks to Tensor Cores, found exclusively on GeForce RTX 20 and 30 Series GPUs. And NVIDIA Reflex reduces the time it takes for your actions, like your character's movements, to be displayed on your monitor, increasing responsiveness.

Update Sep 17th: NVIDIA has announced that these changes will be coming to the game on September 17 when a new GeForce Game Ready Driver is released.

Ray Tracing Comes to Fortnite

Fortnite will add four ray-traced features, for a more immersive gaming experience. These include:

• Ray-traced reflections - Recreates the way light reflects on glossy and metal surfaces, including smooth natural mirrors like window glass and rougher surfaces like brushed metal.
  • Ray-traced shadows - Accurately models shadowing on many surfaces while enhancing surface and contact detail, and fixes problems associated with traditional shadow techniques.
  • Ray-traced global illumination - Calculates world lighting with massively increased precision, illuminating Fortnite's environments, players and characters with unprecedented detail, fidelity and clarity.
  • Ray-traced ambient occlusion - Where objects or surfaces meet, light is occluded, creating subtle shadows that can highlight the slightest of surface details.

All told, ray tracing will bring a new level of detail and realism to Fortnite's Battle Royale, Creative and Save the World modes.

Using AI to Boost Performance and Image Quality in Fortnite

NVIDIA DLSS, which uses AI and is powered by RTX Tensor Cores, is a deep learning neural network that boosts frame rates and generates beautiful, sharp images for games. It provides gamers the performance headroom to maximize quality settings and increase output resolution.

NVIDIA Reflex Comes to Fortnite

Fortnite is one of the first games to support NVIDIA Reflex, which measures and reduces system latency. Reflex allows gamers to improve responsiveness, increase aiming precision and tune their system for battle.

"NVIDIA Reflex technology arms developers with new features to minimize latency in their games. We're seeing excellent responsiveness and player control with Fortnite running on the GeForce RTX 30 Series," said Nick Penwarden, vice president of Engineering at Epic Games.

System latency is the time it takes for a player's actions to appear as pixels on the monitor and quantifies how the game feels. In games like Fortnite, NVIDIA Reflex low-latency mode dynamically reduces system latency by up to 42 percent in GPU-bound scenarios.

New Fortnite RTX Treasure Run Map Spotlights Ray Tracing

NVIDIA and Epic collaborated with top Fortnite creators on the new RTX Treasure Run map, which highlights the new technologies Fortnite is adding. The map drops players at the entrance to a museum where they are challenged to a scavenger hunt that highlights different ray-traced effects.

Along the way, players can explore a hall of mirrors, medieval castle and jungle, climb a giant statue and explore a shrunken science lab to uncover the most treasures in the least amount of time. RTX Treasure Run is coming soon.

The new features are coming soon to Fortnite Chapter 2 - Season 4 for PC players and make Fortnite a flagship title for next-generation gaming technologies.

Complete Screenshots:

Announcement Video:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I don't like Fortnite and NVIDIA, but damn, if they can push the Ray-tracing development for Unreal Engine, then it's great

One issue with the latest (GPU) release I have is how it'll possibly affect benchmarks. Latest games on Ampere with DLSS+RTX vs say older ones being discarded(?) due to lack of RTX or DLSS support? For truly apples to apples comparison you must have an older reference point, albeit perhaps where RTX+DLSS play minimal to virtually no role. Would be interesting to see how hard Nvidia's pushes this paradigm or narrative around their two latest buzzwords.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
And this comes one day after somebody used UE as an example of RTRT's adoption failure :p

Yey! A steaming pile of **** is now with realistic gloss! Rejoice!

I think its odd when Nvidia pushes RT to competitive gaming titles like this. My opinion is that competitive game players would prefer higher FPS over fancy graphics. When you are trying to spot an enemy, I don't think the eye candy on screen will be their main concern. RT adds realism to the image, but not to the gameplay.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I think its odd when Nvidia pushes RT to competitive gaming titles like this. My opinion is that competitive game players would prefer higher FPS over fancy graphics. When you are trying to spot an enemy, I don't think the eye candy on screen will be their main concern. RT adds realism to the image, but not to the gameplay.
I think this is less about the genre as it is about devs getting a feel of the tech. Besides the aesthetic aspect, the rendering pipeline for RT is different from the one devs are used to.
And then there's bragging rights when most popular titles on Earth support your tech ;) Ok, probably not Nvidia's tech, this will probably work on RDNA2 as well, but RTRT will remain in history as something spearheaded by Nvidia.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
So, now we will be able to see AMD's render for the RX 6000 with Nvidia raytracing effects?

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Yey! A steaming pile of **** is now with realistic gloss! Rejoice!

Being succesful doesn't mean it's shit, nor does you not liking it.

SLK

Ray Traced reflections, gives you an edge.

Being succesful doesn't mean it's shit, nor does you not liking it.
Being successful doesn't contradict with being sh*t at the same time. Need you more real world examples, just say. I'd happily provide.

the rtx options were in game last week already, but i wouldnt know if they work without an rtx card (also, dx12 appears selectable on win7 even though the fraps counter shows up, proving that it's still running dx11)

Being successful doesn't contradict with being sh*t at the same time. Need you more real world examples, just say. I'd happily provide.
i'd be happy with just the current example, describe what is so incredibly bad about fortnite (the people playing it doesnt count, you dont hear them solo, you can make squads with your friends, or you could simply do creative mode with or without any weapons)

this isnt candycrush