1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FPS & Driver Bug with ATI Tool and X800XL!

Discussion in 'ATITool Bug Reports' started by Kriegs-Maschine, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Kriegs-Maschine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I'll explain my problem... I had a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I used Ati Tool. Then I sold it for a Ati Radeon X800XL AGP but didn't reformated but I did a clean unninstall and reinstall of my 3d card Drivers.
    Still, everytime I reboot my computer and ATI Tool load up, the Catalyst AI goes back to Low instead of High, and the Geometry Instancing to Off instead of On and the AA & AF for Direct 3d change from the settings I've put in my Control Center. The damn fuckin settings just won't save! Strangely, my Overclock of 441mhz Core, 555mhz Memory, still there everytime it load the profile and my Dynamic Fan Speed settings remain the same. I tryed unninstalling ATI Tool and reinstalling but my settings would come back, as the bugs. At first I've said, bah its very annoying but nothing dramatic but now, no matter the setting I put, I get terrible low fps in my games. I even updated from 5.6 to 5.7 drivers today, and still the same. Half-Life 2 Stress Test say I get 77fps average but when I play UT2004 or CS:Source, the frame rate is extremly low. It lag even more than when I had my 9800 Pro and when it was working all fine when I've installed my X800XL, it wasn't fast enought to me. That card is suppose to be at least 2x faster than the 9800 Pro anywhere and it wasn't this much faster. I know reformating could fix everything "should..." but isn't there any other way to fix that?

Here is my computer specifications:
    - Amd Athlon64 3000+ "Socket 754, not overclocked"
    - Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
    - Corsair XMS Pro 2x512 Cas 2.5 DDR400
    - Western Digital Raptor 36gb 10 000rpm 8mb cache
    - Ati Radeon X800XL 256mb "AGP"
    - Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    - Vantec Ion 400watts
    - Window XP Pro SP2
    *** Everything is "clean" on my pc and I'm ever with the latest drivers for anything. PS: Agp Aperture 128mb *** Please help/reply me asap, I might consider reformating... :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\techPowerUp\ATITool and all atitool settings are gone

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Kriegs-Maschine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh well, thanks for the registry trick. It deleted the settings but I still had the "settings not saving" bug but I've found how to fix it.

It seems that now in order to have Geometry Instancing and Catalyst AI's settings to save, you gotta let CLI enabled, in MSconfig ---> Startup.

PS: The only thing right now that seem not to save is AF, under Direct 3d, when I right click on the ATI Tool tray icon. I have no idea if the setting is still there because in my Control Center its set to Forced 4x but in ATI Tool there is no check sign beside anything, not even beside Off. :confused:
    Also should in the option of Startup from ATI Tool, that I choose, Via registry key or Start Menu (All Users) ???? Whats the diffrence.

Changing the AA and AF in Control Center seem to not affect/change the # of AA & AF set in ATI Tool, which is kind of stupid...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU