• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

I don't even have a problem with standard compact ATX cases either, since m.2 slots take up real-estate on the board that used to require drive bays - it's just that so many "ATX" cases utterly dwarf an ATX board. with room for an SSI-EEB EATX board, 10+ legacy mechanical drives, 8x add-in cards and 4+ push-pull radiators.

micro-ATX is the best form factor IMO, since your typical 2-slot GPU needs a third slot to breathe, and you might as well have one other slot just to give you options and provide more real-estate on the board for increasingly-popular M.2

I can imagine a small form factor case with gpu like the new ampere, where gpu is placed in a way, that it bsically lay/contact the pc case, and there's a hole for GPU intake. Going even further, gpus could be even longer, with the double fan-tunnel design similar to ampere, but the second fan would be on the same side as intake. The case could then have two holes for inlet and outlet. GPU would be then completely separate from case air cycle[just like psus are in typical bottom inlet arrangement]. And we know that its the GPU that produce most heat in the typical system. There's just almost no innovation in the case/cooling department, everyone clings to the old designs. These companies have lots of money, they can releases something for rich enthusiasts, check if it gains traction and then move the solutions to more mainstream markets.

System Name Silent, BUT DEADLY!
Processor Intel i5 13700k
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce® RTX 4080 GAMING X TRIO 16GB
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 S27AG50 IPS QHD 165Hz
Case Fractal Define Meshify 2 + 1x Silent Wings 3 140MM PWM (back) + 2x Silent Wings 4 (Front)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power 12M 850W
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB Cherry MX Red
I'm looking forward to swap my Fractal Define S for this one, i never used radiators and never going to use, i prefer a good air cooler, always.

This said, i usually use top range (big ones) GPU's so they have to fit in here, and silence is my main concern, wich i believe this case should be no different or better than my actual case right?

Thanks!

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I can imagine a small form factor case with gpu like the new ampere, where gpu is placed in a way, that it bsically lay/contact the pc case, and there's a hole for GPU intake. Going even further, gpus could be even longer, with the double fan-tunnel design similar to ampere, but the second fan would be on the same side as intake. The case could then have two holes for inlet and outlet. GPU would be then completely separate from case air cycle[just like psus are in typical bottom inlet arrangement]. And we know that its the GPU that produce most heat in the typical system. There's just almost no innovation in the case/cooling department, everyone clings to the old designs. These companies have lots of money, they can releases something for rich enthusiasts, check if it gains traction and then move the solutions to more mainstream markets.
That's pretty much how the compact mITX cases used to work. The side panel would make direct contact with the side of the GPU and there would be ventilation holes along the side panel where the GPU's intakes were. Some of them, like the Antel ISK series were specifically designed for reference blowers and only had ventilation at the front of the left side where the reference cooler intake fan was.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I have Define R6 and the HDD activity LED is kind of part of the power LED around the power switch. This case doesn't even have that??

To be honest, more cases needs to be NOT an ATX, but micro ATX or even mini ATX. People don't use SLI anymore, people don't use PCI slots anymore, as sound cards migrated outside the case, there are inbuilt WIFI cards or on USB. There's absolutely no need for ATX form factor in 2020.
While this may be true for gaming, I can use 2 or more graphics cards together in SLI or non-SLI configuration to render quicker, which I would not be able to do on smaller rinky dink motherboards for obvious reasons(space, thermals, etc.). I like the idea that there are still intermediate options between pure gaming & pure workstation hardware that allows me to dabble in both worlds without having to buy and maintain a separate system for each.