• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SOLVED] Frametime spikes/Stutters/FPS drops in all games.

"if you have a ryzen 1000/2000 chip then expect frame time consistency problems particularly in DX11 titles"

??? No! I know this isn't quite right because as you can tell in the video I just linked, its a very peculiar kind of random huge freezing not something like having bad FPS.

I know its not the Ryzen 2600 because someone with the exact same CPU as me, linked a video of himself in the exact same area of Sekiro, where his game is solid line frame time, and mine has random big spikes. It cant be that! So what do you suggest I do then??? How would I go about diagnosing what causes this and how to fix it!! IT EVEN HAPPENS IF I LIMIT MY GAMES TO 30FPS
Videos in question:

MY ryzen2600 frametimes (constant random spikes to 30-60ms)

:

His ryzen2600 frametime (Completely solid 16.6ms entire time, same scene:

Too many variables for smaller frametime jumps. Streaming data, every bit of tech you have (even some chips are different in the same products) and that is hard to track down. Those bigger ones which are like 100+ remind me of my issue. I did everything, even swapped a few parts and then someone said "pull the USB 3 cable out of your motherboard" I thought no way will that fix it, but it did.

My guess is that my front panel was not grounded. I swapped my case, and all is fine.

If you have tried everything, try that.

sigh this thread is so pointless so many people thinking they have a problem when its just down to there system being just plain slow
too many Randoms in this thread posting about there 'problems' looking for a singular solution to make there slow computers faster or a solution which they can't have which is that whatever problem they think they have is just how the game runs no experience is ever flawless not even on 5000 dollar rigs thats just not how computers work

there is people in this thread with systems that are just plain old
people with systems just plain mis configured
people mistaking poor game optimization for a problem
people not understanding how the underlaying architecture of there system works (guy with the zen+ NO SHIT Sherlock everybody knows those chips have problems with certain workloads :banghead:

No everybody go home this thread has devolved into a complete shitshow because of thread jacking and just plain ignorance
if you think you have genuine problem start a new thread don't crap all over this one with your random bs non problem problem

if you have a ryzen 1000/2000 chip then expect frame time consistency problems particularly in DX11 titles
the solution is overclock the snot out of your system or upgrade it to a more recent platform
its just how those cpus are for reasons I will not explain in this thread
While you are correct to some extent, there is also space for real unknown issues.

I have the newest Ryzen with the newest Software and I get stutters of the weirdest sort. And don't tell me I don't understand tge architecture when I study computer science. Next I'm going to change my RAM (which memtest says is fine) and then my PSU and after that the issue is probably unfixable because I have tried everything anybody could ever try.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Holy crap! Is this TPU topic in some sort of social media channel or top search result??

If you need analysis of your stutter issue, hijacking this topic wont help you.

What this topic is now is more or less the bottom barrel hobby PC support group. You will only find people with the same problems so you dont have to feel alone.

If you want real help, create a proper topic with detailed descr of the problem and fill in your system specs.

keep running in circles then idc

Im torn between reporting this topic for closure or just watching it popcorn in hand... ;)

Processor 10850K
Motherboard Apex XIII Z590
Cooling Water
Memory 2*16 Gb G.Skill 3200 MHz CL14 14 14 34 Overclocked
Video Card(s) RTX3080
Display(s) 2560*1440 Predator
Power Supply 1250W
Some tricks:

1. NVME SSD
  2. Clear Windows without Bloatware
  3. Good CPU
  4. Fast RAM
  5. Limit your FPS (Riva Tuner)
  6. Beer ;)
I play only BFV. (2560*1440/144Hz) No more FPS Drop, Framerate Spike. CPU is 10850K fix 5 GHz, and fix vcore. RAM speed 4133 MHz, and BFV running fine.
Here is 12 min gameplay. 1% low FPS is stable, it's matter. 3 spikes on timeline are my death and spawnpics. This is BFV ...
This video captured with my old 1080Ti with custom high settings: 1080Ti.
The other one with my new RTX3080 ultra preset: 3080
I'm not a pro gamer, watch just the OSD. I don't use fast sync, Vsync, only Gsync is enabled. VGA isn't overclocked, undervolted. Everything is on default, in nvidia CP, too.

Attachments

• BFV_ULTRA.png
    BFV_ULTRA.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 474
I’ve had the same problem since November last year. I replaced the gpu for a 3070 and stutters began, so obviously would think it was the new gpu causing them, I then replaced it with a RX 6800 and issue continued so was left confused... I then progressed to replace EVERY single part one by one doing process of elimination however I literally replaced everything and it still continued. So after this I decided to build another brand new pc with a 5600x 3060ti and the exact same issues of frame time spikes and stutters continued. So I thought maybe I was being an idiot and was doing something wrong so I bought a pre built pc of high spec yet again... same issue again! Doesn’t matter what game, online or offline they’d all have frame time spikes of different severities but it would always be there.

Seeing as I’ve gone through 4 pcs and 100+hrs troubleshooting over the months it’s safe to say it’s not hardware related, it’s not peripheral related because I done clean installs of windows using all different peripherals so it just leaves the electricity as the common denominator. I did test 1 of the pcs having issues in a different house and the issues were still there so my current thought process is that my electricity is corrupting a part or parts to the point where they wouldn’t work on a different supply of electricity anyways.

I’m carrying out the next step this week which is another new pc, a new monitor, new cables, new keyboard and mouse and taking it to a different house straight away paired with a power conditioning surge protector to test and not even attempting at mine. If it works fine I’ll then be taking it home to use and however like I said it’ll be also paired with the power conditioner etc in the hopes this cleans up the electricity before it hits my pc not even giving it the chance to ruin it. If it does continue to run smooth at mine I’ll reconnect my original peripherals one by one just to be sure for the 0.01% chance they somehow contributed to the issue.

This issue just doesn’t make sense and anyone I speak to is baffled. The same week before any of these issues when I initially upgraded and had stutters I also had a power outage... so issues have been happening since that week and now hopefully close to getting to the bottom of it, however after everything I have done... it has to be electrical transients or voltage spikes ruining the sensitive components. The electrical suppliers have also fitted a voltage regulator in my house and I’ll get results next week.

Hi, did you ever fix your issue? Your issue sounds 100% identical to mine, I have been trying to fix it since 2017 and have gone through four different PC's with the exact same issue. I am so desperate at this point.

BiFino

Hello guys!

I was struggling 3 years with the same problem as you. Games were not smooth as they should be on high-end PC. As somebody has mentioned here - I have changed every single part of my PC/monitor but without success. I have found some article regarding 1000 Hz mouse/keyboard and the software how to force them to use 1000 Hz of the polling rate. And BINGOOO now is the BFV smooth again!!!!

• download the SW - click on CODE and download zip
  • unzip downloaded SW and unzip folder "hidusbf" as well
  • open the DRIVER folder and run Setup.exe as admin
  • here you can choose what device you would like to change (I have changed all my USB devices listed there - you can try what will be best for you)
  • change RATE to 1000 Hz and hit the button "install service" and then the "restart" button. NOTE - do NOT check "filter on device"
  • restart your PC
Please let me know if this worked for you. I can sudenly play the games without stuttering.

Greetings from Slovakia!

USB.JPG

Hello guys!

I was struggling 3 years with the same problem as you. Games were not smooth as they should be on high-end PC. As somebody has mentioned here - I have changed every single part of my PC/monitor but without success. I have found some article regarding 1000 Hz mouse/keyboard and the software how to force them to use 1000 Hz of the polling rate. And BINGOOO now is the BFV smooth again!!!!

• download the SW - click on CODE and download zip
  • unzip downloaded SW and unzip folder "hidusbf" as well
  • open the DRIVER folder and run Setup.exe as admin
  • here you can choose what device you would like to change (I have changed all my USB devices listed there - you can try what will be best for you)
  • change RATE to 1000 Hz and hit the button "install service" and then the "restart" button. NOTE - do NOT check "filter on device"
  • restart your PC
Please let me know if this worked for you. I can sudenly play the games without stuttering.

Greetings from Slovakia!

View attachment 216326

Hi, thanks for responding! I just tried what you suggested but sadly it didn't work for me. Thank you anyway.

I have a solution, however it's probably not what you expected

I'd advise you to read it all without skimming and please raise awareness by posting this wherever relevant.

Hi, I just read through your post, glad you fixed it.

Sadly, moving out isn't an option for me, I live in London which means it's way too expensive to just move out. I have honestly tried everything. I got a new PC a few days ago, plugged it in and the stuttering remained straight away. I am 26 and have been playing since I was a little kid, I have never had any issues with gaming up until I moved into my current house back in 2016, since then it's been horrible, I even get stuttering on my PS5 and Xbox Series X. I don't know what to do, gaming was my escape but now I can't even do that. I calculated how much I have spent trying to fix this issue the other day, and I have spent over £9000 since 2017 alone trying to fix it. It's so stressful.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hey @bbacks26 check out the thread in my sig - i had a similar issue caused by an android TV spamming my network... and yes that's incredibly weird but it is a reproduceable bug

bhlzu21

Alright, so now I‘ve made an account to share my experience with this stutter issue… and it is really weird and bizarre

specs:
CPU: Intel Core i9 11900
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: 4x16 GB 3200 Corsair Vengeance

After completely rebuilding my setup I also faced this issue. After trying to unplug the USB cable and pulling the network cable and all types of fixes recommended in this thread I noticed something that I haven‘t read anywhere else. I noticed the stutter appeared pretty much once a minute and guess what else happened on my PC once a minute… MY WALLPAPER CHANGES … I literally just chose a permanent wallpaper and the stutter has been fixed. Like what… WHAT?!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Alright, so now I‘ve made an account to share my experience with this stutter issue… and it is really weird and bizarre

specs:

After completely rebuilding my setup I also faced this issue. After trying to unplug the USB cable and pulling the network cable and all types of fixes recommended in this thread I noticed something that I haven‘t read anywhere else. I noticed the stutter appeared pretty much once a minute and guess what else happened on my PC once a minute… MY WALLPAPER CHANGES … I literally just chose a permanent wallpaper and the stutter has been fixed. Like what… WHAT?!
Oh that's been known for a long time, especially if you use wallpaper engine

nemofoot

So glad to hear that man! Crazy how something so unusual like a USB cable can cause stuttering. Enjoy your pc!

After further testing, yes it was the usb cable all this time! I have no clue how or why this would affect my pc performance but unplugging the cable removed all stutters.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for replying to this thread! Unplugging the usb cable fixed my stutters as well! I can finally enjoy my PC now cause of you :)
Wow, I can hardly believe it, but unplugging my USB 3 cable may have done the job for me also, will need to do more testing to be sure but I only noticed one small hiccup and it was as the game was autosaving so I'm guessing it was the engine, thank you @bbacks26 , you may have fixed an issue I've spent nearly 3 months trying to fix for me also!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Wow, I can hardly believe it, but unplugging my USB 3 cable may have done the job for me also, will need to do more testing to be sure but I only noticed one small hiccup and it was as the game was autosaving so I'm guessing it was the engine, thank you @bbacks26 , you may have fixed an issue I've spent nearly 3 months trying to fix for me also!
Glad you found a fix, thanks for posting it helped you too
PC's are so complex, some really weird things can cause problems

Wasaki

Some tricks:

1. NVME SSD
  2. Clear Windows without Bloatware
  3. Good CPU
  4. Fast RAM
  5. Limit your FPS (Riva Tuner)
  6. Beer ;)
I play only BFV. (2560*1440/144Hz) No more FPS Drop, Framerate Spike. CPU is 10850K fix 5 GHz, and fix vcore. RAM speed 4133 MHz, and BFV running fine.
Here is 12 min gameplay. 1% low FPS is stable, it's matter. 3 spikes on timeline are my death and spawnpics. This is BFV ...
This video captured with my old 1080Ti with custom high settings: 1080Ti.
The other one with my new RTX3080 ultra preset: 3080
I'm not a pro gamer, watch just the OSD. I don't use fast sync, Vsync, only Gsync is enabled. VGA isn't overclocked, undervolted. Everything is on default, in nvidia CP, too.
Hey zebra_hun how do you feel?
may I ask you what your bios setting for 10850k ? and which ram model you have?
Thanks

Kanon82

Se sei disposto a darmi tutti i diritti con teamviewer posso dare un'occhiata. Ho già risolto molti di questi problemi se cerchi nei miei messaggi.
hi, I saw this post, and I read that you have solved these problems several times, I have 2 PCs that are practically similar, and in every game, every time something specific happens it does micro stutter, like load a zone .. a new item ..

CPU Ryzen 9 5900x
massimo b550 gaming carbon
Crucial ballistix 32gb 3600hz
GPu rtx 3080
psu 750w bequiet

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

specs:

Who'd have thought that presenting load to a computer might cause the CPU to do work it can't do for another application at the same time. Especially if both are a graphics related load!

Mind blown, imagine a world where Single core CPUs were all you had :D

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
hi, I saw this post, and I read that you have solved these problems several times, I have 2 PCs that are practically similar, and in every game, every time something specific happens it does micro stutter, like load a zone .. a new item ..

CPU Ryzen 9 5900x
massimo b550 gaming carbon
Crucial ballistix 32gb 3600hz
GPu rtx 3080
psu 750w bequiet
Do you have wallpaper engine running, or are you on windows 11 with TPM enabled?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Win10, 21h2 if I'm not wrong, no wallpaper engine
Try disconnecting your network cable if you can, see if it goes away
Then, try setting your network card to private instead of public in windows

(This is related to a thread in my forum signature, where a s;eeping android TV caused my PC to stutter in games
Since you mentioned two PC's, it made me think what may be in common (the network)

Kanon82

I have to try, I had never thought about the network, since stuttering always happens in the same points or situation .. I tried to change the rams and nothing is not those

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I have to try, I had never thought about the network, since stuttering always happens in the same points or situation .. I tried to change the rams and nothing is not those
If it occurs at same points in a game, it is the game itself then. You would need to take it up with game maker.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
To further the network thought, is there anything polling the network at intervals like wifi analyzers or the like?

I had a similar issue with Nirsofts WifiWatcher. Every time it polled, I had a stutter. Glasswire can sometimes cause this depending on its settings.

System Name Carnival of Glass
Processor Intel i9 14900K (previously 12900K/9900K, 8086K/Xeon X5670)
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG SONIC (Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7/390 Des/X58A-UD7)
Cooling Corsair Hydro open loop, 480mm XR7, 360mm XR5!
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 6000MT DDR5 @6466 CL36-38-38-72-114-2
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 w/Corsair XG7 block (previously 1080Ti/970) +200 core +800 RAM +shunt mod
Storage 1x 500GB Samsung Evo 970 boot, 1TB ADATA, 2TB Sabrent RQ, 2x2TB Crucial MX, 4TB WD SN850X, 16TB NAS!
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" 4K, dual Acer 24" 1080p LED, 65" Panasonic UHD 4K TV/55" Toshiba 4K UHD in bedroom
Case Corsair 7000X (previously Corsair X570 Crystal SE)
Audio Device(s) Onboard + EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1, Yamaha 4K AV Amp, Rotel RX-970B + 4x Kef Coda IIIs :D
Power Supply Corsair HX1500i Modular PSU
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed (previously G600 MMO)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum (previously G19)
VR HMD Quest 3 + Pro controllers
Software Windows 11 x64 Enterprise (legal!)
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18709841 https://valid.x86.fr/s9zmw1 https://valid.x86.fr/t0vrwy
Yep, it can be strange and seemingly silly things such as leaving something connected via USB that you don't need or your wallpaper changing every 10 minutes..

However, here's what fixed any other random outlying issues i had with sudden stutters/spikes that didn't happen all the time, usually fine but sometimes nope:
Number one: Have a UPS with line smoothing between your AC supply and PC's PSU, try not to have it going through too long of a cable or too many extensions, etc. Also avoid having many things plugged in to the same extension if you still have issues. I don't but none of the switching/linear supplies also connected are causing noise on their output side.
Number two: Use Process Lasso Pro or similar, as this will smooth out random events that affect threading calls/priority, under Windows 10 or 11 (I'm on 11 enterprise) and this was actually the biggest help, as i got sick of using PRIO to tune it myself!
Number three: keep your mobile/cell phone away from your PC! Sounds silly, but you'd be surprised, especially if you have an annoying half glass case like i do! Especially useful when overclocking as well as the first point!
Number 4: try to avoid v-sync or frame-rate locks at the same time! Depending on game or personal preference, or how many FPS you want to pin at, this will vary between how each game/engine handles these options, so experiment. Also, don't feel you *have* to set things to say, 165FPS if your monitor is 165.. That means they support refresh rates *upto* that, so it should run fine below..
And number 5: Don't use WiFi for gaming or your main PC! Even though its very mature these days, you *will* notice a difference most times. I'm not in a crowded household, but making sure your machine is in a DMZ if you are sharing can help too, or at least a way to give you network priority if online games only are suffering.