1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Free episode on STEAM, Oats Studios - RAKKA Volume 1 on Steam

Discussion in 'Games' started by DRDNA, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    FREE
    RAKKA
    Jun 14, 2017
    22 minutes
    RAKKA is the story of broken humanity following the invasion of a technologically superior alien species. Bleak harrowing and unrelenting, the humans we meet must find enough courage to go on fighting.

Free episode http://store.steampowered.com/app/633030

Additional content for a cost link below.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/652150/agecheck

VID PREVIEW 1 http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256686802/movie480.webm?t=1497366929

VID PREVIEW 2 http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256686804/movie480.webm?t=1497366936

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is new, what do you guys think? At first I thought it was going to be an interactive game that had multiple out comes based on in story choices but it is not.
    I hope this is the right place to post this...?... It is offered on a gaming platform.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm..... Not sure about this.
    It costs 4,99 Euros for me btw.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Weird...I know Steam can be regional but jeapers!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/633030

[​IMG]

Did you try through Steam app?

P4-630 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    DRDNA says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    P4-630 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    So if I got this right, this is a mini series only available via stream on Steam? I have to wonder why such a big name director with big name cast members couldn't just get some producer to green light an actual film trilogy?

You add that to the fact that Steam caters to gamers more than movie goers, and it just doesn't make sense.

I watched it, checked for the price for Ep 2, but all they have is a vague pay us $4.99 and you get assets of ep 1, which includes concept art, videos, etc. So it appears to be like the extra content you'd get on a BD. There's simply no indication of what future ep will cost or how long they'll be, or how many. It's a blind faith "go along for the ride" fan funding where you have to hope it takes you to your destination.

At $5, for what turned out to be just a 20 min vid though, it would cost $20-$25 for the equivalent of a normal length movie if they put that price tag on every episode. That's way too steep. OK, more like $15 if it turns out to be a 1:20 total project if you don't buy ep 1 assets, since the first ep is "free", but that's still high for a mere streamed movie with compressed stereo audio. I also wonder if only those buying ep 1 assets will have access to future ep, or get better pricing on them, which if so isn't really free.

I also noticed you can't even access the assets because there are pending legal issues on writers copyrights. LOL I don't know, too many red flags here. This project will probably be raped by pirates. When you fan fund something, especially when you pretty much beg for the money, you have to have all the logistics worked out and let early adopters know what they're getting. It appears they didn't even have the sense to run it past their legal team regarding copyrights.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    DRDNA and 5DVX0130 say thanks.
  7. 5DVX0130

5DVX0130

Thanks Received:
    First trailer, 39 seconds in, … summarises my thoughts on this.
    The short is a mish-mash of already existing ideas/movies. Executed rather poorly at that.
    The “Volume 1 Assets” are too vague on what you actually get. There is no indication on future plans, if any at all. Well outside the additional DLC that you will be able to enjoy. All in all, it feels like a cash grab.
    Begging for money (support us since we gave you a “free” short), without actually providing anything off value. Rather watch one of the thousands of shorts on Youtube, and support those artists.

DRDNA says thanks.
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, with Blomkamp's movies declining in popularity and critical response since District 9, maybe he's just sick of trying to go through producers and is getting desperate. The begging for money certainly indicates that.

DRDNA says thanks.
  9. 5DVX0130

5DVX0130

Thanks Received:
    All the studios care about is MONEY. Critical response means a big fat ZERO to them.
    Just look at all the garbage that is being produced today, but since it's making money…
    By that, it shouldn’t be too hard for him, since all of his movies made money/broke even.

I watched District 9, Elysium, and Chappie. So all of his movies, and the only one I liked was District 9.
    I’m not going to go into details, but it looks like he just got lucky with his first movie. Like a lot of “the new Spielberg” directors do.
    I hope he succeeds, but he needs to stop writing the story, and focus more on just directing.

DRDNA says thanks.
  10. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    I liked Chappie, D9 sucked, Elysium wasnt that awful, below average. These might make for a good story on paper.

DRDNA says thanks.
  11. 5DVX0130

5DVX0130

Thanks Received:
    Watch Short Circuit (1986) and Short Circuit (1988), if not already done so.
    It's pretty much what Chappy is trying to recreate/rip-off, but much better and memorable.

DRDNA says thanks.
  12. neatfeatguy

neatfeatguy

Thanks Received:
    I thought District 9 was kind of unique and a pretty decent movie. Not one I'd probably watch again, but I enjoyed it.
    Chappie - while certainly looked good in trailers I saw, the movie it self was kind of bleh. I'd much rather watch Short Circuit (not the second one, I really didn't like the second one).
    Elysium....eh. Not much I can say about it.

I can't say I'm impressed with Blomkamp's last couple of movies. I can't see myself wanting to pay money to unlock/buy/rent other episodes. If this mini series or whatever it is was any good, I could see another big time streaming company such as Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime picking it up. I'm not sure people will want to just throw money at something like this to buy episodes. I can see people paying a streaming service the $10-15 a month for access to seeing a show like this, but not a gaming services such as Steam. Dedicating $5 an episode for something you'll probably never watch again seems like a waste, if you ask me.

DRDNA and DeathtoGnomes say thanks.
  13. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Looks to be free here in Finland. I'mma check it out later, now moving around crap since I bought some SSD's. :toast:

DRDNA says thanks.
  14. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    The biggest thing Chappie and Short Circuit had in common is the lightning strike. Any other similarities you perceive is purely coincidental.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  15. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    I think that's 5 bucks for the vol 1 assets.

DRDNA says thanks.
  16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    What you said only validates my point, except that I was talking about not just critical response, but that of movie goers as well. You said yourself you only liked District 9. I watched all 3 too, but for like a $1 rental price on Netflix (BD). So while for me it's a non issue because there's usually enough good stuff in the bigger box office movies to make my mere $1 bearable, for many movie goers shelling out $10 or more it isn't, and that's where the money is made. There's more and more people renting movies now a days, so producers are careful about what they back, and often very controlling of what they do invest in.

So what I'm saying is, like it or not people read movie reviews, and the critic's opinions DO affect a lot of their decisions on whether they go to them, or just cheap out and rent them, or not even bother watching them.

As far as my views as to whether it will succeed, it's not the content that makes me skeptical. After all, it looks fairly professionally done. It's the promotional and distribution venue he's using, and the vagueness about what early adopters will get.

So while I get what you're saying that there are plenty of crap movies made by people that don't give a damn about critic's reviews, the ones making the bigger budget projects know full well those reviews can make or break them.

It doesn't mean they agree with or like the critics. Unfortunately critics in the movie industry are like lobbyists in politics. They put their spin on things and tend to influence the outcome. Movies and politics would be better without them IMO.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    DRDNA says thanks.
  17. ozkisses

ozkisses

Thanks Received:
    I recommend giving this show a go I didn't think I would but I enjoyed watching the first EP and can't wait for the next eps

DRDNA says thanks.