• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fresh Win 11 install, now Throttlestop can't max 12900KF

F34R

So, there was some issues on some game pass stuff so I just cleared everything and started fresh with Win 11. Updated it, and all the library apps, etc. I put throttlestop latest beta back on here, set it how it was before, but now the clocks aren't doing what they had before. I must have missed something and I can't figure it out.

Before, while gaming, I could keep the P-Cores all at 5.3GHz and the E-Cores at 4.0GHz. This is so weird. Everything on the power plan is max performance, no sleep options. CPU is 100% min/max.

I have all P-cores at 53 and E-cores at 40 and tried 41. I'm really confused.

Astrophobe

Did you try Intel XTU if it is setting the multiplier correctly? I have the same problem with my 12900HK mobile CPU. Everything (Undervolting, TDP etc.) is working despite the multiplier. Intel XTU still could.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I have all P-cores at 53
Your screenshot does not show that.
You have all of the P cores set to 52.
Double check the E cores. Are they set correctly.

1655994163867.png

If you are going to use multipliers higher than the default values then I would check the Overclock box in the FIVR window. It is usually a good idea to have Ring Down Bin checked.

Everything on the power plan is max performance
That is not true either. On the main screen of ThrottleStop you checked the Speed Shift EPP box and you set that to 128. That tells the CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded. If you want max performance, do not check or set that box. Use the Windows High Performance power plan fox max speed and switch to the Windows Balanced power plan if you want your CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded. At the moment, the High Performance power plan is telling the CPU to do one thing and checking the Speed Shift EPP box and setting that to 128 is telling the CPU to do something completely different.

If you make any changes in the BIOS, you will need to delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will use the previous values that you were using.

Go into the BIOS and set the BCLK to exactly 100.000 MHz. Most decent motherboards should have that feature. That looks a lot better than 99.787 MHz. A perfect 100 MHz keeps my OCD happy.

F34R

Yeah, sorry, the screenshot was showing where I was at that time. Before I went to sleep I had wiped the stupid ssd again, reinstalled windows lol, again. I really appreciate the reply and helping me figure out where I went wrong, probably again.

So, with the "NEW" fresh install again lol, without Throttlestop on here, half the e-cores are 39 multiplier and the other half are 37, and I don't know why, it's never done that before. This is the Alienware R13 desktop, and the BIOS is less featured than a BIOS from 2001. Literally. Can't set the BCLK, it's basically stuck at 99.7/99.8. Only thing I can change in the BIOS is enable/disable over clock.

Can't put any negative offset in there either.

unclewebb

half the e-cores are 39 multiplier and the other half are 37
Does ThrottleStop show this? Some monitoring software might not be reporting this correctly. Try HWiNFO.

Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan?

If you are going to try and use ThrottleStop, make the changes I recommended and post some new ThrottleStop screenshots so I can see where you are at. The Dell bios might lock the maximum multiplier so ThrottleStop might not be able to increase that. Check the MMIO Lock box, the FIVR Overclock box and set the turbo groups to 53 if that is what you want. Also check the TPL Speed Shift box and set Speed Shift Max to 53.

F34R

Before I had to do the clean install, everything was working perfectly. The multiplier was set on all pcores at 53 and the ecores at 41, no problem there. This is the first time I've done a reinstall and I had these problems. I am using hwinfo64. Honestly, I am really tired of having problems with this dang R13. I've spent a LOT of time tweaking/tuning this thing to get it performing decently, 99% gaming. I am throwing my hands up and taking the GPU/CPU out and putting it in another build. I'll see if I need to use Throttlestop when that build is done, hopefully this afternoon. Either way, I'll report back. I really really really appreciate the replies to help me figure out where I went wrong this time, whereas before the clean Win11 install, the throttlestop aspect was working perfectly. Weird.

Here's where I was at prior to the problems starting yesterday.
Taming the R13 - Eliminate thermal/power throttling : Alienware (reddit.com)

unclewebb

The only way I can possibly help you is if you post screenshots of the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR and TPL windows and then include a log file from when you are gaming. The screenshots have to represent the settings that you are using now and the log file has to be generated while using those same settings. When you are half asleep late at night, it is easy to start chasing your tail trying to figure out where things went wrong.

If your computer used to run fine with ThrottleStop then it should be able to run fine again if everything is setup correctly.

F34R

The only way I can possibly help you is if you post screenshots of the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR and TPL windows and then include a log file from when you are gaming. The screenshots have to represent the settings that you are using now and the log file has to be generated while using those same settings. When you are half asleep late at night, it is easy to start chasing your tail trying to figure out where things went wrong.

If your computer used to run fine with ThrottleStop then it should be able to run fine again if everything is setup correctly.
I agree 100% with everything you said. With the R13, one time it's working fine, and then the next day without any changes, it's not lol. Probably the worst buy I've ever had. I worded the thread title improper.

unclewebb

If you are using AWCC and ThrottleStop at the same time then they might be writing different values to the same CPU registers. That can result in some inconsistent performance.

The bios for some computers can set some of the power limits differently depending on if you boot up or if you do a sleep resume cycle. It can take a while to hunt down these issues. Show me some screenshots and some log file data next time you want to try to get to the bottom of this issue.

I am still learning about the 12900K and 12900KF. I do not own either of these so I have never done any hands on testing. Some ThrottleStop settings might not work 100% correctly on these CPUs. Any user feedback helps with development.