• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Frictional Games - SOMA (Discussion)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
OMG It`s scary. Got heart attack Need someone in room with me to play it :)

Not laughing at you...it's supposed to be scary. But the way you wrote that I nearly choked on the Mountain Dew I was drinking, and then struggled to cough and laugh at the same time!

Note to self: no reading while drinking or eating.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Probably going to be playing this by tonight. I'm not a huge fan of the sneak and hide type horror games but the graphics, story and world tech in this one has me curious. Plus I'm tired of revisiting old games after passing on Arkham Knight, Mad Max, and MGSV to wait for patching and price drops.

I'm expecting this one to be a bit like Alien Isolation in gameplay, graphics and performance, and that turned out to be better than I'd expected.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Started my review last night. Holy crap, I am seriously stressed after a mere 30 minutes. Never played a Frictional Games title before. Running a six or seven part review on YouTube leading up to the main written review on NPU, I won't post it here because it feels spammy.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Well, as a comparison and having put in 5 hours on it yesterday, I feel it's their best game yet, or tied with Amnesia: Dark Descent at the very least. Or Penumbra series, I can't decide.

I've played 5 previous titles of theirs that I can think of instantly, and this keeps that unease running high like they did, as well as having great production values and sound!

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I've probably been 5 hours in myself so far, but I can tell already despite some saying it's a 12 hour game that it is not giving me that suspense horror vibe that Alien Isolation did. Worse yet, the tedium caused me to force the pace too much in one spot. It's misleading because in some places, the scripted nature of the game gives you no option but to run to escape, doing that in a bad spot however leaves you gimped with slow, disoriented movement and annoying onscreen distortions that can't be disabled if the monster catches you, even with distortions turned off in the settings.

So then I went into the user config, since it's a UE game, which are easy to edit, and still no luck. I was just about to get past the hole I'd dug myself in, gimped, no health nodes, etc, then another craptastic thing happened. I'd just found a door that I still don't know what caused to open, and I was sure it was the way out, but the textures were missing in the room it lead to, I fell through the map, and my saves got corrupted.

I tried to remove the most recent autosave in the save folder, but the game kept putting the corrupt save back in. So here I am, about 10 hours in now on a 2nd play through, with only 5 hours actual gameplay. I did however reinstall the game, and I noticed now I'm seeing the interactive icons. I had Simple Icons turned on in the menu before starting the first run through, which I mistook for having hand, etc, icons on. Despite trying to set it back to off, I could not get the normal symbol icons to show. So I highly recommend NOT changing that setting before actually starting a game. Removing those icons only makes it harder to figure things out anyway.

I'm trying to play more patiently now. The puzzles are actually more challenging than the stealth horror aspect, and some of the level design is not bad, but a lot of it feels samey, esp if it takes you a while to figure out the puzzles. I spent far too long wandering the ocean floor in some places, and let me tell you, it felt extremely monotonous. Which it can in places because there's literally no clue what to do often times.

As far as comparing to Alien Isolation, I don't feel it comes even close. AI had WAY more gameplay variety, better level design, better graphics, more atmosphere, and despite following known canon, a more compelling story. SOMA by comparison seems almost like a mere adventure game, exploring the world with the protagonist responding to many things in a very casual ho hum tone. I mean the story is fairly original if you exclude certain movie titles that follow a vaguely similar theme, and it's premise has potential, but it's just told horribly.

The dialog regarding story details most of the time is too matter of fact and poorly written, and the data, videos, pictures, and notes you encounter are made tedious by the distortion effects, having to stay glued in one spot to listen to them, or conveyed with little immersion via cheap drawings.

As much as I've said many times that Amnesia (TDD) was not scary to me, at least it had a more shocking story and immersive atmosphere. This doesn't seem to even fit in the horror category except for a few brief moments where it becomes obvious you need to move crouched and sneak around. The rest of the time it's just an adventure game.

One of the things I hate most about the game is once you take damage, your movement and visuals are awkward, slow and blurry. So unless you have a health node somewhere, it stays this way until you get past the area you're in, because there's no option to reload a checkpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
OMG It`s scary. Got heart attack Need someone in room with me to play it :)

Oh that's so nice to hear, make me happy! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it tonight. :D

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Oh that's so nice to hear, make me happy! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it tonight. :D

It's very good, and worth the buy, but it's not as scary as Amnesia. It's more like Penumbra gameplay, aand as described by Frag. I haven't encountered any bugs yet, though.

And the ocean bottom is indeed tedious after 5 minutes of going "oooooh, look!"

I've always heard that Penumbra is more scary than Amnesia. I've played Amnesia (both of them). The second one was the scariest (the story). Dunno why it got crappy rep. It was totally awesome. The first one was amazing but it was built around hallucinations and jumpscare which kinda cliché these days. The second one was unique. Haven't got my hands on SOMA yet, I've heard they released the third update lmao. I'll wait a bit for more updates.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Blast you @RCoon, I got 4 minutes into your video, and then I had to stop it, when I reached your little disclaimer. I didn't want to be spoiled :p

Edit: just bought it, DLing now :D can't wait to get into it tomorrow :toast:

I've played Amnesia (both of them). The second one was the scariest (the story). Dunno why it got crappy rep. It was totally awesome.

I'm glad to hear you say that, and a little surprised. I still haven't played A Machine for Pigs yet despite having it waiting for me. When I heard they kind of cut back on some of the things from the first one, I thought it wasn't going to be as good. But I will be getting into it eventually, I guess after Soma

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Blast you @RCoon, I got 4 minutes into your video, and then I had to stop it, when I reached your little disclaimer. I didn't want to be spoiled :p

Edit: just bought it, DLing now :D can't wait to get into it tomorrow :toast:

I'm glad to hear you say that, and a little surprised. I still haven't played A Machine for Pigs yet despite having it waiting for me. When I heard they kind of cut back on some of the things from the first one, I thought it wasn't going to be as good. But I will be getting into it eventually, I guess after Soma

Skip to 17:00 minutes and the spoiler part officially ends, and the main game begins. Frictional specifically asked reviewers to leave that first portion out, and I fully understand why this time.

Gotta say, it's weird how they scare you. When the monster is in full sight, it's more of an inconvenience, lumbering around a set patrol path. It's only when you don't know where it is, when you basically soil yourself. Later in the second video, when the monsters see you and START MOVING REALLY FAST, that's when you realise they aren't a slow lumbering patrol AI anymore, and you start to panick. It's absolutely bizarre what this game has done to me.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Wait....how did @manofthem link to the review on NPU? I'm not finding it here on TPU, unless in my older age I am going blind.

EDIT: Oh n/m, I'm an idiot. Just like any video. LMAO.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Wait....how did @manofthem link to the review on NPU? I'm not finding it here on TPU, unless in my older age I am going blind.

EDIT: Oh n/m, I'm an idiot. Just like any video. LMAO.

Yeah text reviews stay hidden while i complete/proof read them, and usually the video stays hidden until the review goes up. In SOMA's case I'm throwing up a video every night up until review day. No video tonight though, my one day off :D

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I didn't know that about the in-progress review vids! I'll have to keep an eye out for those in the future.

It's interesting you talked about the monster being scarier when not seen. I second that! They made great use of sound to set the atmosphere. :)

I've only run for my life once, on the sea floor. I was running and almost bumped into him. I exited, stage-right, and ran till I had rocks to hide in. Lucky break there.

I'm also playing without any of the identifier markers, which makes it pretty challenging.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I didn't know that about the in-progress review vids! I'll have to keep an eye out for those in the future.

First time I started doing it, unsure if I'll do it again. Some people like to read, some people like to watch a short summary, others like to watch people play half an hour every day for some reason. Depends on which are most popular in the end.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
My brother saw that I bought it last night, and he ended up buying it tonight too. Looks like he put 3+ hours into it this evening as well! I was out all day and I just put like 16 minutes into the game, and immediately it gave me a good feeling. I love the start, the movement, interactions.

Looking forward to more tomorrow. :)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
That circular ball that teleports underwater, quite possibly the scariest thing in the game when you're frantically running around a sunken ship underwater. Had to make the terrible decision of whether to bust up cute asimo-welder or the robot with a person's conciousness. Thought it better to kill the cute little dumb robot, but now I feel bad. Kinda wished I had killed the robot with the person's head inside.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
^Please, no spoilers. Some of us haven't progressed that far. If there's anything actually scary in the game, I'd rather not read about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Well, I finished it :D

Proof that gfx are pretty unimportant as long as they fit the purpose. I gave up MGSV to play this and rather than go back to MGSV, I'll probably just uninstall it. SOMA gave me a better purpose to play a game and I genuinely cared about the outcome. FTR, the ending is pretty fucking cool. But we can discuss that later - not even a spoiler.

Unfortunately, I can't tell from the GOG manager how long I spent on it.... :( Maybe 10-15 hours??? Anyone know a way to find out?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
@the54thvoid I'm glad to hear the endingnwas great! I already feel like it was money well spent.

I didn't know Galaxy had a time in game function. I just play from the shortcut. Imagine how hard it was to keep track of my Witcher 3 playtime!

I too have uninstalled MGSV. Plenty more games that are more fullfilling and easier to control.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
@the54thvoid I'm glad to hear the endingnwas great! I already feel like it was money well spent.

I didn't know Galaxy had a time in game function. I just play from the shortcut. Imagine how hard it was to keep track of my Witcher 3 playtime!

I too have uninstalled MGSV. Plenty more games that are more fullfilling and easier to control.

Yeah, I mean Galaxy doesn't have a timer feature - looked but found nought...

It's after playing games like this I feel like raiding Steam for decent indie titles. I enjoy my FPS games but all too often I get bored quickly. Witcher 3 kept me happy for many hours and I'm just waiting for the extra DLC now.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Yeah, I mean Galaxy doesn't have a timer feature - looked but found nought...

It's after playing games like this I feel like raiding Steam for decent indie titles. I enjoy my FPS games but all too often I get bored quickly. Witcher 3 kept me happy for many hours and I'm just waiting for the extra DLC now.

I would estimate half my titles between Steam and GOG are independant studio games. As long as I stay away from early access, I've been very happy with most of them!

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Other way around for me, still have yet to go back to SOMA since installing Mad Max and MSGV.

Maybe I missed it, but why specifically did you guys uninstall MGSV? I mean I know the controls aren't exactly perfect, but once you know how KB/M controls work, which I sourced a guide for, it plays pretty well for the most part, esp for a Japanese developed game. I don't like that a lot of objects can't be taken cover behind, or having to use F after RMB just to aim down sights, along with a few other minor gripes, but most of the control problem I found was their not telling you enough about how they work for KB/M.

Now that I know how the controls work, I'm actually more put off by the over the top sci fi elements in the game. I have to say though, the quality of the visuals in the prologue was quite good. They put a lot of work into it. I actually came out a little longer on mission time in it than I did the first mission, and it felt like I was dawdling a bit on that one.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Other way around for me, still have yet to go back to SOMA since installing Mad Max and MSGV.

Maybe I missed it, but why specifically did you guys uninstall MGSV? I mean I know the controls aren't exactly perfect, but once you know how KB/M controls work, which I sourced a guide for, it plays pretty well for the most part, esp for a Japanese developed game. I don't like that a lot of objects can't be taken cover behind, or having to use F after RMB just to aim down sights, along with a few other minor gripes, but most of the control problem I found was their not telling you enough about how they work for KB/M.

Now that I know how the controls work, I'm actually more put off by the over the top sci fi elements in the game. I have to say though, the quality of the visuals in the prologue was quite good. They put a lot of work into it. I actually came out a little longer on mission time in it than I did the first mission, and it felt like I was dawdling a bit on that one.

I uninstalled simply because it did grab me and felt like more of a chore than fun. I've got alot more games that are more fulfilling and much more fun. Bottom line I play for fun. Just my personal take.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wanted to throw this question out there: does any one else ever get these random frame dips?

I ask because at times my fps dip down considerably, like from 60 to 30 and lasting 1-5 seconds, and then it pops back up like nothing happened. It's strange and while I initially thought it was game related, it may be my Win10 upgrade, never did a clean install.

Other than that, I've been enjoying the game very much. I'm being cautious reading replies here because I don't want to spoil anything in the game for me, and I'm judicious about what I post because I don't want to spoil it for anyone either. Granted, I'm not that far yet but still ;)

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
why specifically did you guys uninstall MGSV?.[/spoiler]

Easy answer, it bores me. The missions seem very repetitive and its got some console glitches that niggle me. I know it has a strong story behind it but it isn't absorbing me at all.
Everyone has their own set of parameters that dictate what is enjoyable and sometimes a game fails to deliver to some but entertains others. For me, MGSV just feels empty and the OTT weird elements are too irrelevant.