• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Friend Fried My PC?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Never EVER heard of doing this but knowing how the switches work, I don't see how this procedure would do anything but make your fingers tired. On a PC (notebooks are different) those switches lead to "momentary" circuits meaning once the press ("closing" of the switch) registers with the circuit, the switch is ignored until the button is released AND pressed again. So while that procedure could not have done anything to fix the system, it could not have caused any harm either.

This isn't true, the switches are momentary switches, which means they are only closed when they are pressed and automatically open the circuit when released. However, they are not ignored when they are held down. The motherboard will monitor the switches status constantly, they are not "ignored" until they are released. Hence why holding the power button triggers the computer to shut down after ~10 seconds of being held. The status of the switches are constantly monitored.

That said, holding both while powering on the computer won't cause any harm.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hence why holding the power button triggers the computer to shut down after ~10 seconds of being held. The status of the switches are constantly monitored.
That, of course, depends on how the function of the power button is set in the BIOS (it is 4 seconds, BTW, not ~10). If you change the setting to instant off, it does just that and to my point - keeping the button held down longer does nothing as it is then ignored. It may still be "monitored", but it will not take any further action until released and pressed again. If set to "Delay 4 seconds", holding it longer than 4 seconds does nothing, as I described earlier.

The reset button is as I described.

But yes, I should have been more clear. While it may not technically be ignored, the point I was making is that holding it down serves no other purpose. That is, it does not "bleed" or drain the circuit of residual voltages, and pressing it in conjunction with the reset button does nothing.

1. My favorite design improvement ever was the addition of MoBo Diagnostic LCDs .... you don't have to spend a lotta bucks ($120ish) to get one either. If we're asked to build a box, I'd shy away from any build w/o one. Beps are just so "mid 90s" :) ....

The manual is the best way to see what troubleshooting methods are available to you. No need to waste your time with beeps. Looking at our manual, the LED section begins on page 2-18 File name E7112_Rampage_IV_Formula.pdf

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_FORMULA/HelpDesk_Manual/

The debug LEDs are described on page 2-21 should see these in the upper right hand corner with standard ATX board mounting. The Debug Code table is on following page (2-22 thru 2-25). You also have CPU, DRAM, VGA and Boot device LEDs as well as Mem OK LED ... again see page 2-2 of manual.

2. How old is the SSD ? In last 8 years I have had 3 failures, one of those being a warranty replacements.... modern ones have done better ... no failures in those bought within last 5 years. Just curious ... why NAS drives in a desktop ?

3. The PSU model number is hard to determine from the description. RS-700--ACAB-B1 V2 is one option, not much I can tell you about it other than nobody reviewed it who is worthwhile reading. It's a single rail design by CWT with a 3 year warranty. Another possibility is the RS-700-ACAB-D3, not much I can tell you about that one either, except that again, nobody reviewed it who is worthwhile reading. It's a single rail design by Enhance Electronics with a 3 year warranty. If it's at or near it's warranty in age, I'd consider replacing it. Id test in another box to see if it's functioning. If and when ya get around to it. I'd recommend the Seasonoic Focus Gold Plus which is crazy cheap right now and has 10.0 / 10.0 jonnyguru Performance / Build Quality scores. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151187

4. One thing we almost always do with SSD builds in create an identical partition on the 1st HD or SSHD and install a 2nd copy of the OS. This comes in handy when troubleshooting if the SSD is borked, can simply boot from BIOS Boot manager to the alternate OS install. The reliability of the SSD should be determined.... I find one of these invaluable for checking SSD condition using another box. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADA27XA4493.

5. Don't waste time with jumpers and batteries. On that board, you don't even have to open the box to clear CMOS. Look on your rear I/O port at back of case. There' a button just down from the PS/2 power w/ two USB 2.0 ports that has a arrow circle on it.

6. Memtest 86+ is a great means to test if RAM is the problem... assuming you can get it to load / get past other post problems.

Zombiekiller413

System Name ZombieKiller
Processor Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard Asus Rog x470-f
Cooling EVGA clc280
Memory 16 gb g.skill flare x 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Powercolor red devil Vega 64
Storage 70gb SSD for win 10 os, crucial 500gb m.2 SSD for games, 2tb firecuda sshd for games and storage
Display(s) Msi ag32cq
Case Phanteks p400s
Power Supply 850w xfx (seasonic)
Mouse Corsair dominator iii
Keyboard Corsair dominator iii
I hit it and then BLASTOFF! The new expensive graphics card BLASTED it's FAN like 200%!!! It sounded like Aventador revving and dust was spitting half a meter sideways out of the fan!

Good luck with your new board. Hopefully that works out for you.
in the future though, a little routine cleaning can go a long way.
dust is conductive and can fry components.

System Name Hi!
Hi everyone! The new motherboard works like a charm! And also the main culprit was half of my ram was faulty. I replacled the ram and now everything is great. The faulty ram prevented even the new motherboard from posting. I had no idean half of ram that was faulty could prevent POST.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I had no idean half of ram that was faulty could prevent POST.
Depends on the fault. If there was an internal short in the stick or one of the modules, it could create an excess current situation. Your board simply might have refused to boot as a safety measure - a good thing!

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your followup.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Never EVER heard of doing this but knowing how the switches work, I don't see how this procedure would do anything but make your fingers tired.

It's the procedure on some boards to force a boot from the secondary bios. No idea why he was trying that though.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
Nice to see a happy ending.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hi everyone! The new motherboard works like a charm! And also the main culprit was half of my ram was faulty. I replacled the ram and now everything is great. The faulty ram prevented even the new motherboard from posting. I had no idean half of ram that was faulty could prevent POST.
A single beep at startup is a sign of a RAM error, i'm surprised non of the experts picked up on that.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Depends on bios manufacturer

Got myself one of these, just for fun.
post card.jpg

Nice.
Have you tested it yet?
So, how does this work? I don't see any IC's on the PCB; so it must be
simply reading info from the motherboard passed through the PCI-E bus?
I'm interested....

Nice.
Have you tested it yet?
So, how does this work? I don't see any IC's on the PCB; so it must be
simply reading info from the motherboard passed through the PCI-E bus?
I'm interested....

I'v tested it on a few 939 motherboards. It's very advance & flexible. The manual states it also works on laptops & mobile phones. I'm going to modify it & add-in the missing six LEDs. It has one massive big chip on the back of the main card.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2

sometimes checking on the ram sticks themselves (anything "physical" like any visible scratch marks on the gold contacts on the bottom of the ram sticks or any of the black modules on the chips that have any "cracks" on them) may also cause the board not to POST or make beeping sounds. I have had that a few times when ordering ram chips online and have gotten very few bad faulty ones

System Name Hi!
This is how it connects to laptops & mobile phones.
And how does it have to be read, how do you know when something is faulty?

A single beep at startup is a sign of a RAM error, i'm surprised non of the experts picked up on that.
Thanks so much for this info. Those rams were probably faulty since I got them. I always heard a beep. And now there's no beep.

Does all of this mean windows memory diagnostics and aida64 stress test are useless? They never shown any error.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Thanks so much for this info. Those rams were probably faulty since I got them. I always heard a beep. And now there's no beep.

Does all of this mean windows memory diagnostics and aida64 stress test are useless? They never shown any error.

My computer does a single beep every start to indicate post pass, so what he is saying is not universal.

If you don't understand or can't remember the post code, the LEDs to the right is pointing you what the problem is, where it says RAM, CPU, CLK ect, ect.