• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Friend Fried My PC?

System Name Hi!
Hi, I'm new here. I actually went here to ask assistance with my issue.

In the past month my windows 10 would randomly freeze on desktop doing nothing and I could only move the mouse. I would have to force shutdown and I would see hundreds of storahci event 129 in event viewer. I thought it was the disc so I bought an SSD. Called my friend over to help me install it and fresh win 10.

Same problems again, also the system took incredibly long to install. After the system was installed it would immediately freeze randomly on desktop (mouse too) followed by storahci. When we hard reset, the motherboard would not see the windows SSD, saying "INSERT SYSTEM DISK" (the first boot device was set to SDD, NOT anything else). We reset it again and it booted. We then shut it off in order to connect all the remaining TBs of HDDs. When booted windows would instantly freeze again. We pushed reset again and the motherboard went into an endless reboot with no POST. After all that we hard shutdown and cut the power.

My friend started holding the power and reset buttons at the same time some 10 seconds and then told me to turn ON the power switch WHILE he was holding down the POWER and RESET BUTTONS. "Ok hit it!". I hit it and then BLASTOFF! The new expensive graphics card BLASTED it's FAN like 200%!!! It sounded like Aventador revving and dust was spitting half a meter sideways out of the fan! And ALL THE CASE FANS that were connected to the motherboard were spinning wildly! It restarted again and did the SAME! And my friend was STARING AT ALL THAT LIKE AN IDIOT IN SHOCK! UNTIL I CUT THE POWER AND WONDERED TO MYSELF: "WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!???"

He left and I'm left wondering ARE ALL MY COMPONENTS FRIED??? He later connected his power supply and it was the same CRAZY SPINNING of all fans and no picture.

I was always monitoring my TEMPS since I built the PC.

FULL LOAD RECORDS in Celsius:
CPU ~ 55,56,50,40,etc,etc
GPU ~ 70
MOBO ~ 50
SYS HDD 32
HDD1 26
HDD2 25
HDD3 25

ALL DRIVERS UP TO DATE.

What now? I already bought a new expensive motherboard. I HOPE it's only a motherboard issue.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

EDIT: This topic is still active. I will post back once my motherboard arrives tomorrow I hope.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
No, I don’t think so. I think your system has serious issues though. In any order the first things I would be doing were.

New Sata cables
Swap board
Swap ram

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Re-install OS?

Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Hi !
Can we have your system specs ? Every details of the components please.
It could be a lack of power from the power supply unit for the black screens and freezes. Like, if you need 500W and you put a bronze or a noname 500W PSU it can lead to problems at some points.
Temps are good but 56°C at full load for the CPU I guess it was not in Prime95 :D

Re-install OS?
He said they did it :
...I bought an SSD. Called my friend over to help me install it and fresh win 10.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Hi !
Can we have your system specs ? Every details of the components please.
It could be a lack of power from the power supply unit for the black screens and freezes. Like, if you need 500W and you put a bronze or a noname 500W PSU it can lead to problems at some points.
Temps are good but 56°C at full load for the CPU I guess it was not in Prime95 :D

He said they did it :

Yeah but I'm thinking that terrible hard reset and power off may have compromised the OS. Then again, could be many things- need system specs as @Solaris17 asked for.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My friend started holding the power and reset buttons at the same time some 10 seconds and then told me to turn ON the power switch WHILE he was holding down the POWER and RESET BUTTONS.
Never EVER heard of doing this but knowing how the switches work, I don't see how this procedure would do anything but make your fingers tired. On a PC (notebooks are different) those switches lead to "momentary" circuits meaning once the press ("closing" of the switch) registers with the circuit, the switch is ignored until the button is released AND pressed again. So while that procedure could not have done anything to fix the system, it could not have caused any harm either.

As far as what to do next, since EVERYTHING inside the computer depends on good, clean, stable power, I always want to ensure everything is getting good, clean, stable power. So if me, I would swap in a known good power supply. This process also ensures you have double-checked your cabling and connections to make sure all have been made and are tight.

Do you get any beeps? Sadly, most cases don't come with system speakers anymore. And only some motherboards integrate a little piezoelectric "button" speaker on the boards. That is too bad because beep codes can be very valuable when troubleshooting. So with all our builds, if a system speaker does not come with the case or motherboard, I always add a System Speaker. Note that price is for 20!

I would disconnect all drives and reboot. Your system should begin the boot process and get all the way through POST (power on self test), giving you one short beep to indicate a successful POST. It should then stop when it cannot find a boot drive. If you don't get that far, you might unplug the PSU from the wall, touch bare metal of the case, then pull the CMOS battery for about 15 seconds. Insert it again, connect ONLY the boot drive, plug the PSU in and boot directly into the BIOS setup menu. Check/reset date and time, make sure your boot drive is first, and "Save and Exit" and hopefully have a normal boot.

Re-install OS?
Re-installing the OS should always be a last resort option as it often does not fix the problem, sets you back months or years in security updates, and destroys all your personal data and installed apps. If the re-install is done via a recent backup or image, you often reintroduce the problem all over again. Even if it fixes the problem, you don't learn anything to prevent recurrence.

But to this suggestion, considering the errors occur before any boot drive is found, it would not be an OS issue anyway.

Processor i7 12700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Yeah but I'm thinking that terrible hard reset and power off may have compromised the OS. Then again, could be many things- need system specs as @Solaris17 asked for.
It could have destroyed the boot yes but we don't know if OP manages to get at least to the bios or if it's still no picture =)

beep codes can be very valuable when troubleshooting.
"Expensive" MB have leds that show you an error code, maybe his MB got the feature too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sounds like PSU, SSD, Ram, Mobo.

Time to build from scratch.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
From what's described the board itself has a problem, all of what was said before the switch holding were symptoms of it.
Could also have been just a bad SATA cable too, I've ran into that before.

As for the holding of switches that would not affect the problems you've had before, although the likelyhood is extremely slim could be something BIOS related got scrambled, indicated by the fans wanting to go full-tilt now.
Only real way to know is to follow Bill's instructions, disconnect all the drive cables and see if it will POST normally, then go from there.

I'll also ask, how old is the CMOS battery in the system? A weak battery can make one do some crazy stuff, if the voltage of it has dropped below 2.9v's it needs to be replaced. Just know anytime you remove the battery it will reset the BIOS to default settings so anything you may have changed will have to be done again.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
First thing first, something is stopping your computer from posting, remove the cmos battery for 10 minutes and then put it back in and turn it on, if that doesn't help and the only thing you have changed is the drive, try a different sata port and cable, failing that, remove everything you don't need and start the pc with only 1 stick of ram, try changing ram sticks if it still persists. After that your probably looking at faulty motherboard, psu or maybe even cpu though that would be the last thing I'd think it was. That's when you need to test your components in another computer if you can to determine which one it is, though do the above steps first.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
"Expensive" MB have leds that show you an error code, maybe his MB got the feature too.
Good point. Though not all "expensive" boards have these, it is worth checking.

CMOS circuits are designed to be reset easy. And CMOS devices by their very nature dump stored data within a couple clock cycle of losing the "holding voltage" on their pins. 10 minutes is unnecessary. 15 seconds is plenty. If designers want it to be harder, they would have used EEPROMs or some other device besides CMOS devices.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Most boards will clear that way but there are a few that's more stubborn about it, typically for those a hard reset (CMOS battery out overnight) does it.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry, but not true - not if "ATX" compliant which virtually every board from all the major players are. The exceptions would ONLY be those "proprietary" boards Dell, HP, Acer etc. use in some of their "factory made" computers.

Again, "instant" dumping of the data is a specific characteristic of CMOS devices - has been for decades long before IBM ever even thought of building the IBM PC. Once the holding voltage is removed from the CMOS memory device, there is no voltage there to keep the data alive.

Many assume CMOS is a computer term. It is not - as anyone who has had any formal training in electronics would know.

And there are no voltage storage devices (like capacitors) in that circuit that might keep the data alive either. So no "bleeding off" time is needed.

If a motherboard CMOS device needs more than a couple seconds to dump its data once the PSU has been unplugged from the wall (or the master power switch on the back of the PSU - if it has one - has been set to off) there is definitely a serious fault in the motherboard.

Again - if "user changes" to the BIOS defaults (which is what the CMOS memory device stores) was meant to be hard or take a long time to reset, the motherboard engineers and designers would not have selected CMOS devices to store that data. It just would not make good technical or cost sense.

System Name Hi!
Thanks to everyone for your help. I read all that everyone said but I'm kinda too tired to quote right now so I will just answer as much as I can.

When my friend tried his psu I already disconnected all storage HDDs and only left the SSD connected. There was no POST, no beep. Case lights up, fans light up and spin, then instant restart before the POST screen even appears - so maybe 1 second and then it restarts. I have not touched my PC since last week... My new motherboard will supposedly arrive tomorow. I am having constant problems with the postal service. I'm afraid I can't afford a new power supply any time soon.

Specs:

Core i7-3930K
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 AORUS 8gb
GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws X
SSD Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB
3x HDD WD Red 3.5" 1 TB
PSU Cooler Master B700
Case Full-Tower Sama Ark

New motherboard (already bought)
ASUS Rampage IV Formula

I'm very worried about all my data on my WDs... they are new.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And did you normally here a single beep before these problems? If not, your system may not have a system speaker.

If your friend's PSU did the same thing, you probably don't need a new PSU.

At this point, since you already ordered a new motherboard, we should wait and see what happens with it.

As for the data on your drives, if sounds like you don't have any current backups. :(

So to be safe, you should pull those drives and install them as secondary drives to another computer (or attach them to another computer) and copy off your files you don't want lost.

Processor i7 12700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
I did enter your rig in http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ and it's about 442W at load 100% TDP, 492W recommended so with 700W @ 85% efficiency you are good.

Check if your PCI-e 6+2 Pin connector is well plugged to the 1070 ? Did you try another connector ? I remember somebody who didn't plug it to the maximum and the computer had booting issues.

Also check every connector from the PSU to your MB, if it's all well plugged and still fails, try with another graphic card to see.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Thanks to everyone for your help. I read all that everyone said but I'm kinda too tired to quote right now so I will just answer as much as I can.

When my friend tried his psu I already disconnected all storage HDDs and only left the SSD connected. There was no POST, no beep. Case lights up, fans light up and spin, then instant restart before the POST screen even appears - so maybe 1 second and then it restarts. I have not touched my PC since last week... My new motherboard will supposedly arrive tomorow. I am having constant problems with the postal service. I'm afraid I can't afford a new power supply any time soon.

Specs:

Core i7-3930K
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 AORUS 8gb
GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws X
SSD Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB
3x HDD WD Red 3.5" 1 TB
PSU Cooler Master B700
Case Full-Tower Sama Ark

New motherboard (already bought)
ASUS Rampage IV Formula

I'm very worried about all my data on my WDs... they are new.

Can you take a clear picture of the motherboard as you have it all connected? So we can see for sure all connectors are in place.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Sorry Bill but you're wrong on this one - I know they are designed to clear as you said BUT there are a few that's just stubborn about it and it's not based on any particular model or design, it's more of an individual board thing and yes, I have a couple that's stubborn like that to get cleared. Popping the battery out with the PSU switched off and drained of power fails to clear them as you say, I have to leave them like that overnight to get a good clearing of CMOS.

Just because something is designed in a certain way doesn't mean it will always behave as intended.

System Name Hi!
Yes I always heard a single beep before these problems. Unfortunately right now all the cables and components are disconnected. And I'm just waiting for the motherboard to arrive, then I will call my friend again to help me assemble everything.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yes I always heard a single beep before these problems.
Well, that's good and bad. Good because now we know your motherboard is equipped with an integrated speaker. Bad because your system is not getting past POST. Let's hope the new motherboard fixes it.

And BTW, remember that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. That means they almost always have more standoff mounting holes than motherboards have mounting holes. A common mistake by newbies and pros alike is to insert an extra standoff in the case that ends up shorting out the board. So (especially if a different board) triple check to make sure you only have a standoff in the case where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

Sorry Bones, but no I'm not. Check the link in my sig to see if I might know a little about how electronics works.

As I said, if yours took more than a few seconds, there was a fault somewhere.
Just because something is designed in a certain way doesn't mean it will always behave as intended.
LOL Right! And when something does not behave as designed (or in this case, as the ATX Form Factor standard calls for), then there is a faulty component somewhere.

Again, this is not just a computer thing - but straight up electronics. Check the manuals for the your motherboards. Most will say to remove the battery for 1 minute or move the jumper for 5 or 10 seconds. None will ever say hours or over night. If yours does, please provide a brand and model number, or a link the manual.
and drained of power fails
And drained power? He he! How did you try to drain the power? Please don't tell us you "drain the power" by pressing and holding the power button! That might have worked 20 years ago with AT Form Factor PSUs, but not with ATX PSUs.

As I noted, there are no capacitors or other voltage storage devices in the CMOS circuit, other than the CMOS battery. And, of course, all the big filter caps in all ATX power supplies quickly dissipate any stored voltages, allowing them to decay to a negligible and safe potential automatically when mains power is removed - again, unless there is a faulty component.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Laugh all you want Bill, just because you've had training with electronics doesn't make me wrong or you right each and everytime.

With respect:
You're not dumb by any means, no way I could ever accuse you of such because that would be wrong on my part BUT you don't know everything yourself even if you'd had the training so you can stop waving that flag around already.

Be condesending if you want, I believe it's a true thing and said so because I believe it and even know others that will back me on it - Plus with the very fact I've directly dealt with it too.

You know electronics, I know things about electricity too, mainly from working with equipment with voltages ranging from 12v all the way up to 600V / 3 phase stuff such as what's found in power and breaker boxes, you know.... The stuff that will fry you in an instant if you get it wrong like a high amperage switch gear will if you don't use it in the right way.

BTW we had 2 of those, 1.6K and 2.0K respectively.
Stay on the mat, wear the gloves and hope it doesn't decide to arc through.

Oh yeah.... It's remove the battery, place the CMOS jumper on the pins in the "Clear" position, either switch off the PSU or just unplug it from the wall and yes, do press and hold the power button until all lights, LEDs and whatever else goes out, then leave it for about 10 minutes.
Come back, set it all up to run and..... The previous settings are still there and active too.
Can you really explain it because I've dealt with it many times before and BTW it's a DFI board, an Ultra D that does it.

One more thing, further discussion of it between ourselves needs to be done via PM if need be.
BTW I'm not mad about it or anything, it just better we'd do it that way and let the thread run it's course.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Just because someone disagrees with you, or they have more training, that does not mean they are being condescending. I am not saying you didn't see what you saw. But I am saying, as you alluded too, when something does not behave as designed then there is a faulty component somewhere.

And FTR, removing the CMOS battery and moving the jumper does the same thing - it removes the holding voltage from the CMOS module. There are no storage caps on motherboards. As for that DFI, with that incomplete model number, getting a specific manual is not possible. But the couple I did find mentioned seconds, not minutes, not hours.

And while moving this to PMs may be best, I see no reason to continue when you won't accept when things don't behave as designed, then something must be wrong.

So have a good day. I'm getting ready to watch the Saints win the Super Bowl. Oh, never mind. :(

Last edited:
System Name Hi!
Guys, postal problems again, my board is supposed to arrive today. I have a question: will it boot the formerly installed windows on the ssd? Should I boot the board first and check bios settings?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Do a POST test first making sure all the hardware works. Then I would do a memory test. Then try the disk with the previous install. I would eventually do a clean install though
Good luck

Then fix your old board. new bios chip

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If you have a spare drive (SSD or HD, doesn't matter) install an OS on the spare drive, remove all of the drives from your system so if anything does go wrong, you limit the risk of loosing any data going or getting corrupted :)

Basic tests are the best tests, see if it posts with just basics installed. If you don't get a post, change the ram, change the GPU etc anything basic (but one thing at a time) as it'll help narrow down the options of what is or isn't working. If you find it easier, take the board out of the case and put on a bit of wood/box whatever, then it eliminates anything in the case, right back to basics :)

Jester is right in the direction :)