• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Friendly reminder to backup ALL the things / more than one drive

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
Short story... It was about 18 years ago when I picked up a shiny new maxtor 32gb hard drive. I was rather PC noobish at that time and when I went to transfer my files to the new drive, the unthinkable happened and during the transfer, the maxtor failed critically which lost ALL photos I had of my son being born, family photos and such. Data could not be recovered and that portion of my life was just GONE.

Since that time, I have been rather obsessed with backups. Keeping multiple drives circulating and at different locations vowing to NEVER go through that again. However, the other night, even with 4 drives, I came darn close to it all again. It was the perfect storm of WTF and a reminder how fast it can all go south (human error and hardware failure). Details....

- I have a pair of 4TB WD reds on a raid 1 setup
- I circulate a 4TB red and a old trusty Samsung 204UI between the safe and backing up in dated folders from the raid 1

The skinny of how it all almost went south:

- During a backup, the 4tb red in circulation suddenly failed. Could not be detected / just gone like someone flipped off a light switch. No biggie, did an advanced replacement with WD. The new drive came in and they sent a 5TB in its place. For whatever reason I was having HELL getting this drive to format properly. During the late night madness, I somehow clicked on my raid 1 array and formatted it thinking it was the 5tb drive I was having issues with. Oh dear lordy - just a serious mistake.
- At this point, I was down to my samsung with all photos such... Our families entire history. I was in pure panic... If that drive failed, it would be an expensive venture into data recover and prayers... Murphy's law was telling me that trusty samsung would die during the transfer back to the raid 1. Thankfully it did not!

Long story short, I went from 4 drives down to 1 in a blink. Since this mess, I have added in one more drive to the emergency backup scheme and the samsung is kept at my office in an anti-static container.

You may laugh... 5 drives of redundancy... but If your whole life of photos / videos / family things or whatever is on just one or two hard drives... Seriously consider backing up in another location, more drives or however you want to do it. Trust me when I say - even data across 2+ drives can disappear faster than you can blink. If I had not kept that old samsung around as a just in case, things would have been real bad.

My minimum recommendation:

- 2 hard drives you circulate with all of your files from your primary PC. In the backup drives, add dated folders and backup all data in those individual folders. If the drives nears capacity, start to delete the oldest folders and keep things going. Always have 1 drive unplugged and stored in a safe location

A good setup that is still affordable:
- Use a raid 1 off your primary hard drive using the folder setup above combined with an auto-backup of critical folders to the raid 1
- Still use a minimum of 2 drives in rotation and backup via dated folders
- If you can afford it, keep a 5th drive off-site from your home in a safety deposit box or just locked at your office. Bring it home and backup quarterly

I know others have some pretty wild setups WAY beyond the above - feel free to share. Also, many may use cloud backup, however when you have several TB... Cloud backups are not quite for me.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I had a similar incident of a very important part of my life (in photographs) being lost. It's pretty harsh, actually it's harsh to the point that I won't really say more about it. Too painful.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It was not 18 years ago. ;)

This stuff is partly why I upload all the pictures to Onedrive. I've never been a big fan of taking photos of everything anyway.

Processor 5800X3D
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Software Win 11
It was not 18 years ago. ;)

This stuff is partly why I upload all the pictures to Onedrive. I've never been a big fan of taking photos of everything anyway.
Was around 98-2000 so 16-18 ago :) Hell, I hope my actual memory is holding to that time-frame HA! Seems to be about as reliable as that maxtor back then.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I was looking into getting a backup drive here soon and this helped my mind into the right place.

Speaking of which

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I still have a lot of music when it was all free on Napster! I always have a backup though I've luckily never needed to use it.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Here:

Working storage: NAS Raid 1 (2x 2TB WD Blacks)
Backup 1: 1TB WD Black Desktop (Image of NAS files)
Backup 2: 1TB USB 3.0 Portable (Image of NAS files)
Backup 3: (partial, pics, documents and some music): 1TB 2.5" Laptop OS Drive that stays with me

That's after having mostly survived a crypto virus attack.

Have also investigated fireproof backup enclosures, but they're pricey

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Here:

Working storage: NAS Raid 1 (2x 2TB WD Blacks)
Backup 1: 1TB WD Black Desktop (Image of NAS files)
Backup 2: 1TB USB 3.0 Portable (Image of NAS files)
Backup 3: (partial, pics, documents and some music): 1TB 2.5" Laptop OS Drive that stays with me

That's after having mostly survived a crypto virus attack.

Have also investigated fireproof backup enclosures, but they're pricey

A lady at work got hit by crypto or similar. She thought she was safe as she had google drive backup but the damn thing encrypted her files there too! Our IT had a fit with google as that was not supposed to happen but it did. In short, she lost all work and files.

Viruses like the above are one reason I really recommend always having a drive totally unplugged from a system and in a safe location.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@Garage1217 I'll second you about being paranoid about backups being well worth it.

My arrangement isn't anywhere near as comprehensive as yours and I've been meaning to improve it for some time. Been thinking of a third drive somewhere for a third copy.

I currently back up to a 1TB SSD that I take with me whenever I go out of the house and an old PC working as a NAS.

One thing that I stopped doing was the RAID 1 array on my main PC ie the files source. The idea was to have an "instant backup" to protect against drive failure - a laudable aim in principle. However, I actually lost more data this way through simple human error by screwing up the array by unplugging the wrong cable when fumbling round the back of the case. It didn't help that the onboard Intel RAID doesn't alert you when there's only one drive working and carries on like nothing has happened.

I then did something rather silly when I was tired late at night. I discovered that the second drive was unplugged and simply reconnected it, oblivious to synchronization issues. I then had fun and games with my array screwing up the now mismatched filing systems (especially as I'd moved and resized the partitions on the active drive) to the point that I lost all the data on the array eventually. Thank fuck for the NAS backup or I'd have lost everything. I did lose a little bit of data that day as the backup hadn't been run in a little while, but it was nothing serious.

This had been something like the second or third time that I'd screwed up the RAID like this so said sod it and went back to a single drive. Not lost a byte since.

I use the simple but effective Karen's Replicator to make mirror backups to both drives.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I have my large drives for back up. Then I use Blu Ray disks once a year and finally a cloud storage with google

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I just dumped my compromate photos to google cloud... and some other rare software document stuff too... I was really happy to delete that all from the drive... way more safe...

Actually I am not that sentimental about past... not that important than the present to me actually.

I have more be worried about my game save files being lost than that...

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
@Garage1217 I'll second you about being paranoid about backups being well worth it.

My arrangement isn't anywhere near as comprehensive as yours and I've been meaning to improve it for some time. Been thinking of a third drive somewhere for a third copy.

I currently back up to a 1TB SSD that I take with me whenever I go out of the house and an old PC working as a NAS.

One thing that I stopped doing was the RAID 1 array on my main PC ie the files source. The idea was to have an "instant backup" to protect against drive failure - a laudable aim in principle. However, I actually lost more data this way through simple human error by screwing up the array by unplugging the wrong cable when fumbling round the back of the case. It didn't help that the onboard Intel RAID doesn't alert you when there's only one drive working and carries on like nothing has happened.

I then did something rather silly when I was tired late at night. I discovered that the second drive was unplugged and simply reconnected it, oblivious to synchronization issues. I then had fun and games with my array screwing up the now mismatched filing systems (especially as I'd moved and resized the partitions on the active drive) to the point that I lost all the data on the array eventually. Thank fuck for the NAS backup or I'd have lost everything. I did lose a little bit of data that day as the backup hadn't been run in a little while, but it was nothing serious.

This had been something like the second or third time that I'd screwed up the RAID like this so said sod it and went back to a single drive. Not lost a byte since.

I use the simple but effective Karen's Replicator to make mirror backups to both drives.

Think I spot a theme... We are all screwing up our raid arrays late at night while tired :)

I will check out the Karens Replicator you mentioned. On a side note, my raid 1 is not internal. I use a WD My Book Duo USB in raid 1. Pretty decent but a slow little setup. Upgrade the junk power supply to a good quality meanwell and I feel it is a pretty solid product with very reliable raid software.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a NAS that I would only turn on during large backups and locate it in my safe - using the new EX2100. Speed looks quite good vs. the USB solution I use now. Also would be nice to have the NAS located in a very safe location away from the office. Cloud access is nice too.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
She thought she was safe as she had google drive backup but the damn thing encrypted her files there too!

I mapped my NAS drive but it still requires login credentials for that very reason. I wish I could figure how to logoff using some time-out feature.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Was around 98-2000 so 16-18 ago :) Hell, I hope my actual memory is holding to that time-frame HA! Seems to be about as reliable as that maxtor back then.

Read the wrong number, but it must have been expensive. An probably 2000.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I still have a lot of music when it was all free on Napster! I always have a backup though I've luckily never needed to use it.

Being all MOREL :) it was never Free :)
Ps also Ex Napster client ( somewhere i still got the client installer somewhere backed up )

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Every few months I burn any new family videos/photos to DVDs as well as backing them up on my second HDD. Everything else that is important (which isn't much) I also have backed up on a couple HDDs and 1 or 2 DVDs. Everything else is just trivial and can be re-installed/replaced.

A lady at work got hit by crypto or similar. She thought she was safe as she had google drive backup but the damn thing encrypted her files there too! Our IT had a fit with google as that was not supposed to happen but it did. In short, she lost all work and files.

Viruses like the above are one reason I really recommend always having a drive totally unplugged from a system and in a safe location.

I had to deal with a couple of customers at my last job that didn't back up their data very well. They had a few branch stores that would send daily sales, inventory and such to the central office server. Someone at the central office decided it was okay to use the server computer as their own personal PC. They ended up getting some kind of cryptolocker and it went through and locked down everything. To make things worse, they even managed to somehow get a couple of their branch locations mucked up with the cryptolocker as well. The ransom to unlock the data was 100 Bitcoins (was roughly $600 per Bitcoin at the time, so around $60,000) per computer.

They had to get a new server computer (my company wouldn't touch the old server) and they had to replace a bunch of computers at a couple of their locations since the cryptolocker spread across their internal network at the stores.

The company lost over half of all it's history because of the issue caused by 1 person, plus not having any kind of backup plan in place.

System Name zx spectrum
Processor i7-4960x
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32Gb Kingston Hyper Beast Quad-DDR3 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Saphire Tri-x R9 290 4GB
Storage 240Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD
Display(s) Samsung UE55NU8000 55'' Freesync
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Audio Device(s) On Board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Ax1200i
Mouse Razer Death Adder 2013
Keyboard Razer Death Stalker Ultimate
Software Win 10
Pictures are so important to keep. I put mine on onedrive, usb stick, and on dvd. Lost my phone while back and lost loads of good family pics learnt my leasson now.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Being all MOREL :) it was never Free :)
Ps also Ex Napster client ( somewhere i still got the client installer somewhere backed up )
Pretty sure it was free. I remember back in '98 or '99 one of my friends is like: "Yo dude you gotta Dell?" I'm like, yeah! He's like, FREE MUSIC BRO! I'm like HMMM YEAH!

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Heck, even if you are really tight on funds, just a handful of 500gb to 1tb USB drives circulating would keep most people in the safe zone... Quite cheap on ebay. Point of the post... DO NOT PUT IT OFF!

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Indeed, backups are a good thing to have. Plus, HDDs and USB sticks are cheap now compared to back then. Just got a 8TB HDD to add to my storage backup plan. I tend to keep a minimum of 3-4 copies of files I consider important spread about on different storage media. So far though most if not all my HDDs are still alive. My Dad still got a old 60GB HDD that still kicking. Think my oldest is my 640GB WD Black and external 1.5TB Seagate that has USB2 and FireWire connections on it.

Most of my data that eaten up has to be my pictures off my D90 and high DPI scans of my drawings. RAW picture files eat some serious space.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I have RAID5 3 drives + 1 hot-spare (640 GB volume capacity) and monthly, format and copy all of that data to an external 1 TB drive that goes in a water/fire safe. I've had only one hard drive fail so far and never lost any data. But, there's always a first time for everything. I hope it is when I'm old and senile. :laugh:

I constantly remind users of my network to get their important stuff on the server ASAP. Data is not safe on mobile devices.

I mapped my NAS drive but it still requires login credentials for that very reason. I wish I could figure how to logoff using some time-out feature.
Me too. There's probably an active directory setting somewhere I could change but...yeah...

CryptoLockers are definitely my greatest fear. I just hope I catch it before doing the monthly backup or everything would be lost. I might switch to using two external backups and swap them every month giving me a two month buffer to find the problem before losing much data.

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
raid 10 primary, raid 1 backup, external drive firesafe backup (gets updated once a week then returned to a firesafe)

plus many photos and vid backed up on google and facebook. (both of which can be re-downloaded after the disaster is over)

now my sanity, would love to have a reloadable backup of that. With 4 kids it can't be too much longer before it goes.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I look at it this way, if you don't die, it doesn't matter.