• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Front I/O Wiring Help Needed

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
Ok ive had a look and the ones im sure about are the power leds and hdd leds.

what is slightly odd is how the power switch is connected. bearing in mind my dell case didnt have a reset button, ill post a drawing of it in the morning to see if anyone can shed any light on it, night

Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Software Windows 10
This is a picture of the pins used, but considering there is no reset on my dell, Im not sure what that thin wire connecting two of the pins is used for, any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• io.jpg
    io.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 8,821

Zyon

System Name Computernamehere/Computernamehere2/Computernamehere3
Processor i5-2500/Athlon 6000+/C2D Q6700
Motherboard P67A-UD3R/M2N-SLI Deluxe/P5K-Deluxe
Cooling Stock/Hyper212+/Unknown Coolermaster
Memory Patriot PC3-10666 2x2/A-Data PC2-6400 4x1/OCZ PC2-8500 4x1
Video Card(s) MSI GTX580 Lightning/2x Gigabyte GTS450 OC 1GB/2x HIS HD4870 512MB
Storage Seagate 1TB/Samsung 500GB/Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Samsung BX2440
Case V4 Black/Mystique 631 Silver/Soprano VX
Audio Device(s) WTF is a sound card?
Power Supply Corsair HX650/Antec Earthwatts 650W Green/None
Software Windows 7 Home/Professional/Professional
Benchmark Scores TBA
Are you sure the power button connector is supposed to be plugged in vertically? I thought it should be left to right (with the white words facing 'up') and the bottom two (excluding one on the right) is the reset switch (with words facing 'down').

Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Software Windows 10
Yes the pin layout in the above diagram works perfectly. Very strange that the power switch is vertical but it seems to like it like that lol. I have ignored the reset for now and just got LEDS and power switch plugged in. very pleased with it although the 120mm fan on the back is a little loud so next thing is a 5.25" fan controller, plus an extra 200mm fan for the top. Oh and a new SATA cable the dell supplied one for the optical drive was too short.

Anyway thanks for all your input and if anyone is planning the same thing with this model dell studio xps 435mt then they now have the pin layout.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
This is a picture of the pins used, but considering there is no reset on my dell, Im not sure what that thin wire connecting two of the pins is used for, any ideas anyone?

Ok the thin single wire is most probably black and is the Ground or Earth but I don't think I recall ever seeing a layout for FP set this way.
And from what you have shown in the diagram it is looped from the negative wire on the power switch.

So now we know the top pin for the power switch is the positive and the bottom is the negative.

Pre built machines like DELL and HP can be notorious for this, making a standard PC case swap annoying..
I have had an issue with a customers PC pre made where one pin needs to be earthed or the Audio would not be recognized as connected on start up.
I think it was also the same for the USB.

The work around was to connect a wire from the pin to the chassis of the PC to get the motherboard to recognize it's earthed since it would be pretty much impossible to jam a wire into the negative of the power switch plug.

Possible solution A:-
So you will have to find a wire with a single pin connector and strip the earthing end to make connection with the chassis of the motherboard if the earth is needed for the power switch to function.

Possible Solution B:-
It maybe necessary to loop a wire from the negative to the earth, in which you will have to find some way to loop the wire from the negative connection for the power switch to function which will be a nuisance.

EDIT:-
I see I am late and you have it all worked out by tracing the old one.
It is most likely this motherboard does not have a reset switch function available.
I have noticed some motherboards by the likes of HP, ACER and DELL to have certain functions unavailable or even removed.
I think it may have been an ACER which was actually an ECS motherboard with the PCI-E slot removed, possibly due to a fault with the original ones made so ACER buys them cheap to fit into their machines.
Just like HP buying defective seagate drives with the bad sectors blocked off to fit into thier machines.

Last edited:

lssthnthr3

Same old song and dance....

Hello people.. I am a new member bringing up a somewhat old post. I am having this exact same issue when trying to put my dell studio xpps 435mt into a new case. Here is a link to new egg of the case....

Blackhawk Gaming Case by Rosewill

I have separate connectors for all of the aforementioned items... Power button, hdd led, pwr led, and reset.. obviously the reset is nothing to be worried about here. But when I give my PC power everything lights up for about 2 seconds and then goes into standby mode. And I have tried many combos and none of them seem to allow me to power on my PC. I tried both of the "solution pictures" posted in this thread and no luck. I just want the damn thing to turn on. Any ideas on how to get this crappy motherboard to cooperate?

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Hello people.. I am a new member bringing up a somewhat old post. I am having this exact same issue when trying to put my dell studio xpps 435mt into a new case. Here is a link to new egg of the case....

Blackhawk Gaming Case by Rosewill

I have separate connectors for all of the aforementioned items... Power button, hdd led, pwr led, and reset.. obviously the reset is nothing to be worried about here. But when I give my PC power everything lights up for about 2 seconds and then goes into standby mode. And I have tried many combos and none of them seem to allow me to power on my PC. I tried both of the "solution pictures" posted in this thread and no luck. I just want the damn thing to turn on. Any ideas on how to get this crappy motherboard to cooperate?

What motherboard is that?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
But when I give my PC power everything lights up for about 2 seconds and then goes into standby mode.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Check the board tray and make sure you have all standoffs in the proper places.

teetime

dom99, I just wanted to thank you for posting the image. I just moved my 435mt MB to a Cooler Master 912 HAF so I could upgrade to a GTX 550 gpu and 650 watt PS. The case, gpu and PS were about $220 at NewEgg.

It was all straight forward except for connecting the front panel items to the MB. Since I have no use for the old Dell case I removed the original Dell 9pin connector (that connects to the MB block in your diagram) and used it in the new case. This resolved the jumper issue you mentioned. I left about 6 inches of wire on the original connector, and spliced them to the appropriate front panel wires in the new case, according to your diagram using "butt connectors" from Radio Shack - about $3.00 for a pack of 24. Before I made the actual splice I temporarily made all the connection by twisting the appropriate wires together and tested to be sure I had them right.

Another thing I plan to do when I get a free moment is cut the rear panel I/O plate from the old Dell and trim/file to fit into the new case.

I'm happy to get a little more life out of my 435mt. I use it primarily for video and photo editing. It is a whole lot quieter in the new case and hopefully I can hold off on a replacement for a couple more years.

Again, thanks for posting the connector diagram - there are a lot of posts around the web looking for this, but yours is the only response I found that got it right. I may not have attempted this if I hadn't found your diagram.

/jerry

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Better yet, take a picture of the front panel header.

Then one wit hthe factory header installed.

Heck, I'd even pull al lthe switches and stuff out of the Dell case to figure it out.

This is the easiest way, once we have the picture we can use the awesome MSpaint and label them for you as a guide

Richard Capewell

I know this thread is old, but it comes up on a Google search for Dell Studio XPS 435MT front panel header wiring and helped somewhat in my recent transfer of the Foxconn DX58M01 Motherboard from this unit to a new Enermax Ostrog case. The wiring stated so far does not allow reset switch, and I found a way to make this work along with power switch, HDD LED and Power LED. Here's my wiring diagram:

..HDD LED +ve....1....2....Power LED -ve
...HDD LED -ve....3....4....Power Switch
.....Reset Switch....5....6....Power Switch
.....Reset Switch....7....8....Not Used
Power LED +ve...9....X....Not Connected

Last edited:

dunkirk

I know this thread is old, but it comes up on a Google search for Dell Studio XPS 435MT front panel header wiring and helped somewhat in my recent transfer of the Foxconn DX58M01 Motherboard from this unit to a new Enermax Ostrog case. The wiring stated so far does not allow reset switch, and I found a way to make this work along with power switch, HDD LED and Power LED. Here's my wiring diagram:

..HDD LED +ve....1....2....Power LED -ve
...HDD LED -ve....3....4....Power Switch
.....Reset Switch....7....8....Not Used
Power LED +ve...9....X....Not Connected

I tried your wiring on my XPS 435MT mobo (with a Thermaltake V3 case). The power LED doesn't work with "+" on 9. I have to connect "+" to 8 instead. The reset button now works perfectly.

One issue is the power button loses the "long press to shutdown" function. Another issue is the power LED is still emitting light even after powering off. Here is my wiring:

.....HDD LED +.......1....2....Power LED - (a white wire in Thermaltake V3)
.....HDD LED -........3....4....Power Switch
.....Reset Switch....7....8....Power LED + (a blue wire in Thermaltake V3)
Not Connected...9....X....Not Connected