1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Front Panel Header

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Zinic, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Zinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Front panel Header is the location where you plug in the wires that came from the computer case.

The computer case manuel explains that one wire is + and the other is -. Also, the HD_LED and PWRLED are the two only ones that have a + and - on the board and on the cable/wire.

I am able to connect these 2-pin connectors in two different ways (by flipping it). Which way do I want to connect it? For the HD_LED and PWRLED, do I want to have + with + or + with -?

This will give you an idea of what I am talking about. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009016.htm

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    + with the +'s and it needs to be that way for the power switch, as I have put them on in reverse before and the buttons wouldnt function. Just follow both the mobo manual and the case instructions and line them up + to + and - to -. On the mobo image you show, the power and HDD, "ground" is negative(-)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't matter what the orientation of the power and reset button wires, for all you doing is completing a circuit. As for HD and Power LED, it does matter. Now the color wire is usually positive, and the white wire is negative. You plug positive with positive and negative with negative. Don't worry about accidentally plugging it backwards, it won't ruin anything...you just wont get any indication lights. Power off your rig, and reverse the cables...then you are all set.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Zinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I will connect my other remaining wires and give it a go. Thanks.