• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[FS] Custom PC Building

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
42 0 0
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
dang, you sound like you know what you're doing. i got a question for you, if you're just going around the neighborhood and doing computer services (fixing things, setting up networks, installing os, etc) would you think about before you start?

I would think about what I needed to do in order to prove credibility. I'd try multiple things, set up multiple situations, cause problems only to have to try to solve them in different instances...If I wanted to start something like what Ben is doing, I'd be busy researching specs, stats, warehouses, locations for adverstisement, building a website if not just to advertise and set up a contact location, but to show what can be done and what has been done by me. I would start basic, with something I knew I was more than capable of, and be able to keep control of that situation before going into a more advanced field I've only researched/experienced little of. I would have to be experienced in something before I'd want to be stupid enough to try and sell/service/guarentee it. I do some basic stuff for my neighbors, family, friends as far as networks, fixing, OS's, hardware upgrades, system builds...but I always list options, pros/cons because there are to every component and situation and choice, honesty is a very good approach, because if you're dishonest, it will bite you. Pretty much if I started, it would be on a first come, first serve basis, let your customers advertise for you. If you make them happy they will tell others, if you make them upset, they will tell everyone. So you do basic things like upgrades, basic installations, things that you are very able to do, and then let the word get out, you'll do those same things, but may run into a few bumps in the road to notch on for experience/new solutions to different issues. Then buy different equipment if only to test the hell out of it, buy stuff you know you want to sell/service/guarentee...some of the stuff you'll buy may be a crapshoot..and I wouldn't sell anything that was not a guarentee. But I'm so busy with life and my real job (GM Technician) that I really only have time anymore for family stuff and of course my own system. I don't do online sales/service anymore...but it's a very lucritive option if you get good at it and want to do it!

And well, that's my answer. Get good at it, via research, then experience, buying power and keeping stock helps if you want to sell items. Start small, start with people you know, let them advertise for you, hell that's half the work...if all you gotta do is wait for calls, you're in the right direction. If I can't do it, I wouldn't sell it or offer it, that's for damn sure. But if you wanna do something, make sure it can be done right the first time, many times...very important.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
I would think about what I needed to do in order to prove credibility. I'd try multiple things, set up multiple situations, cause problems only to have to try to solve them in different instances...If I wanted to start something like what Ben is doing, I'd be busy researching specs, stats, warehouses, locations for adverstisement, building a website if not just to advertise and set up a contact location, but to show what can be done and what has been done by me. I would start basic, with something I knew I was more than capable of, and be able to keep control of that situation before going into a more advanced field I've only researched/experienced little of. I would have to be experienced in something before I'd want to be stupid enough to try and sell/service/guarentee it. I do some basic stuff for my neighbors, family, friends as far as networks, fixing, OS's, hardware upgrades, system builds...but I always list options, pros/cons because there are to every component and situation and choice, honesty is a very good approach, because if you're dishonest, it will bite you. Pretty much if I started, it would be on a first come, first serve basis, let your customers advertise for you. If you make them happy they will tell others, if you make them upset, they will tell everyone. So you do basic things like upgrades, basic installations, things that you are very able to do, and then let the word get out, you'll do those same things, but may run into a few bumps in the road to notch on for experience/new solutions to different issues. Then buy different equipment if only to test the hell out of it, buy stuff you know you want to sell/service/guarentee...some of the stuff you'll buy may be a crapshoot..and I wouldn't sell anything that was not a guarentee. But I'm so busy with life and my real job (GM Technician) that I really only have time anymore for family stuff and of course my own system. I don't do online sales/service anymore...but it's a very lucritive option if you get good at it and want to do it!

And well, that's my answer. Get good at it, via research, then experience, buying power and keeping stock helps if you want to sell items. Start small, start with people you know, let them advertise for you, hell that's half the work...if all you gotta do is wait for calls, you're in the right direction. If I can't do it, I wouldn't sell it or offer it, that's for damn sure. But if you wanna do something, make sure it can be done right the first time, many times...very important.

wow thanks man, you reinforced alot of things my parents said, start in the neighborhood, don't build just assemble (they buy pieces) stick with what i know...like networking, fixing windows, installing windows, upgrade, and build up credability. thanks again man, now i just need to come up with a flyer.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
42 0 0
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
wow thanks man, you reinforced alot of things my parents said, start in the neighborhood, don't build just assemble (they buy pieces) stick with what i know...like networking, fixing windows, installing windows, upgrade, and build up credability. thanks again man, now i just need to come up with a flyer.

No problem. Do yourself a favor, and just go around the web and see what others are doing, look at the more successful sites, look at small time sites, custom places...
Don't make your flyer too flashy..keep it clean and simple..if you over flash it, you'll be compared with Best Buy which is no good (they might suck, but the average person doesn't know any better!). Maybe have a simple business card that you give out when you do such a service...give out a few..they're cheap. Then when someone's giving a good word about you to someone else, they'll have that little card handy with phone number/web address!

And if I were you I'd start with everything but custom builds...upgrading is a very good area, as people want to know what they can do/get for their money...and custom builds are expensive generally, and more is expected of them and you. But if you upgrade a CPU, memory, add a network or upgraded wirless network, put in a new vid card, bios update, or what not, you will have a baseline for them to notice the improvements for the money they will pay you if you are looking to make much money, then this will be a hard route to go, but it takes a while. When you have good credibility, and a good response service rate, and a lot of good feedback, then you can dip into custom stuff, good money, a lot of work, a lot of stress.

But definately do a website, that way people can go home and read up on you, what you do, how to get ahold of you and so on. Add a small forum setup to it, keep it updated (yep, more work for FREE hehe). If you can get used to covering a few bases when you start, add one or two more here and there when you're used to the pressure of it, you'll turn out for the better and not bury yourself before you've even begun. Good luck to ya, glad I could help!

kwchang007

No problem. Do yourself a favor, and just go around the web and see what others are doing, look at the more successful sites, look at small time sites, custom places...
Don't make your flyer too flashy..keep it clean and simple..if you over flash it, you'll be compared with Best Buy which is no good (they might suck, but the average person doesn't know any better!). Maybe have a simple business card that you give out when you do such a service...give out a few..they're cheap. Then when someone's giving a good word about you to someone else, they'll have that little card handy with phone number/web address!

And if I were you I'd start with everything but custom builds...upgrading is a very good area, as people want to know what they can do/get for their money...and custom builds are expensive generally, and more is expected of them and you. But if you upgrade a CPU, memory, add a network or upgraded wirless network, put in a new vid card, bios update, or what not, you will have a baseline for them to notice the improvements for the money they will pay you if you are looking to make much money, then this will be a hard route to go, but it takes a while. When you have good credibility, and a good response service rate, and a lot of good feedback, then you can dip into custom stuff, good money, a lot of work, a lot of stress.

But definately do a website, that way people can go home and read up on you, what you do, how to get ahold of you and so on. Add a small forum setup to it, keep it updated (yep, more work for FREE hehe). If you can get used to covering a few bases when you start, add one or two more here and there when you're used to the pressure of it, you'll turn out for the better and not bury yourself before you've even begun. Good luck to ya, glad I could help!

thanks! my parents want me to try and get this thing rolling (website, flyers ready) before break ends. im trying to go for find a place to host the site tonight, tomorrow build site and flyers, thur, start handing the flyers out:) luckily i have parents that understand and are willing to put flyers up at their work. i like the whole give the people free stuff, lol. thanks again!

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
42 0 0
That's awesome dude! Go for it! But keep some documentation, take notes of ideas, services, ideal prices...take notes of others' prices to give you an idea where you need to go. If I still designed websites, I'd help ya, but it's been almost 10 years since I last designed one (that was almost my first business...I designed quite a few for free cause I liked to make them...then I got an offer to do it for cash, but ended up just getting a job). But you can find a lot of free resources to help you.

Make a list of goals you want to hit, not necessarily sales/service yet, but setup stages. Get the website up, get the flyers ready, find a local radio station/business to help you..friends come in handy, so does family, neighbors, etc.

I'm sure that there are some guys here at the Tech that may be able to lend you a hand...you should start your own thread for ideas, help, and just keeping track, don't want to get Ben Clarke too jealous, lol, but he can at least get a taste of the right way to go about this. I'll help you however I can. I'm glad to see you so confident and doing this the correct way, if you want it to, you will get a big payoff in the years to come!

kwchang007

yeah man making a theard sounds good, when i run into some trouble, lol. just got to look at some websites, for prices, that and hw to finish...

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Heh, been away for a while... time for an update.

OK, so I can finally start shipping out globally now, I have suppliers sorted. OK, so while I've been doing this, I came up with a new build, a gaming system. It's maxxed out at what I think seems to be a decent price after trawling through the net for similar.

Ultimate Quad-Core Gaming system:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI nForce 650i SLI
RAM: 2x2GB PC2-5400
GPU: 8800GTX 768MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB Case: Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case
PSU: OCZ 1010W
DVD-RW: 20X DVD+/-RW/RAM

£1550 GBP

Just a note, searching other companies, they were charging £2200+ for a setup like this.

Also, I will have a site coming up soon, with, as I'm sure you want to hear them, a few testimonials from locals who I built for. I'll post a link when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
42 0 0
Seems like you took more time and did your homework this time around there Ben. Looking forward to seeing your page.

Another thing you should list with a "gamer/enthusiast" PC Build is cooling, the type/size, etc. That will not only add credibility, but choice and let users know who may rather buy than build that they're going to have a good PC that stays cool and runs fast. I'm curious to see how you grow. Again, I'm more impressed with you this time around, and glad to see you didn't give up. :toast:

Heh, thanks :)

As for cooling, I'm going to double check that later to see if I can improve it without affecting the price too much. But I can say it will probably have a few back panel fans, and probably a Freezer 7 Pro for the CPU. Also, I'll have to do a local survey, to see if 8GB RAM is really required, as that won't add too much to the price of the next one I manufacture...

OK, for the cooling there, it's stock, because I can't find any respectable coolers. BUT I am going to work on finding cheap but effective water cooling.

EDIT: A watercooled model will be priced at £1600.

GJSNeptune

Heatware
14 0 0
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
Like the title says, I will build custom PCs for you. You tell me what specs you want, any specific parts you want to be included in the system, I'll get a price to you within 48 hours, you decide if you want it doing, send me a check, I'll email confirmation I've received it, then I'll start building. If theres a problem or delay, I'll let you know. If you receive your computer, and within 2 months a part is damaged, and you haven't upgraded, overclocked, etc. I will happily replace the part for you, at a discounted price If you don't want a custom system, I will post a catalogue of ones I customised, and you can choose one of them. I'll also do case modding, if you scan a design in, and pay for the materials / equipment. And before anyone says "You can't do that", W1zzard has given permission. So, I'll just wait for a customer. Prices given will include Postage. If you give your Geographical location, I will check how much it is in your currency. I live in England, so if your geographical location is not provided, you'll receive the price in British Pound Sterling.

NOTE: Orders will be taken, but I will not be able to start building systems until after Christmas, due to a lack of contingency funds.

Very promising, and I didn't really touch the run-on sentences/fragments.

Yeah, I wrote that one night at about 1 in the morning, was tired... I'll corect it later... I'm working on the site as I type.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Yeah, I wrote that one night at about 1 in the morning, was tired... I'll corect it later... I'm working on the site as I type.

Good luck m8, Ive always wanted to do the same myself (build PCs to sell) Ive mainly done builds for friends and family for a small charge, but its hard to find people that want the top spec stuff :(

GJSNeptune

Heatware
14 0 0
Feh. I don't charge family.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
42 0 0
I wouldn't think 8GB of ram is necessary, I'd say stick to a max of 4gb, but you could give the customers options if they desire it. Also, there are plenty of reputable air coolers out there that are easily accessable and cheap, I'd go with that before digging into water cooling. Or if you insist on selling water cooling, look for those sealed packages that require no maintenance, would be a good selling point to have a maintenance free water cooling setup.

And back to air cooling, even listing case fans, fan filters, etc I think would be good. I'd still recommend you look further into providing a decent air cooled setup, but I don't know what you may be able to find in your area, but I'm sure there's something! :toast:

OK, every page of the site is now up, but may be buggy because I don't do the HTML, my software does. Anyway, the layout I'm working on now, and then I'm going to work on improving the advertisment on the front page for the first series of desktops. Then I'm going to put in a way to actually order them.

Any bugs you find, let me know. Thanks.

Ben

Site is now completly up, except the forums. Layout is still being worked on, as is a payment system, but feel free to check it out so far, let me know about any bugs or suggestions.

Thanks, Ben

Heatware
9 0 0
System Name AMD/ATI PHENOM MONSTER
Processor AMD Phenom II 965BE
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVA
Cooling Air right know. Water later
Memory 4bg Corsair Dominator PC3 8500 9,9,9,24 2t timing
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X
Storage 5x 500gb sata3.0 Seagate in RAID 0 - 2x 160gb Seagate for backup
Display(s) MAG INNOVISION 19in LCD 2ms 1600:1cr, 22in LED 2ms-5ms
Case Thermaltake Armor QuadFX edition
Power Supply 1000w Thermaltake toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 10712 single card and no oc, 12071 with cpu @ 2.8ghz and card oced, 13877 with crossfire.
Nice site!

"Please not that this site is still under construction, so some pages will be missing or blank. We are working on getting the site up by Monday though. Thank you for your patience."

fix the "not" to "note" :toast:

Heh, didn't notice that, thanks. It's fixed now. Anyway, I should have a new layout for the site some time next week.

Can I just ask, how would you feel about a media centre PC that comes with a 50 inch HDTV?

GJSNeptune

Heatware
14 0 0
You guys need a proofreader. You won't be getting any sales by misspelling paralleled. I would be utterly embarrassed by these mistakes.

Ooops... my fault... fixed now, anyway.

Well, I was in for a pleasant surprise today... my site was visited by the Googlebot :) This could mean a major milestone next time it updates it's listing... Whenever someone searches for "computer" I'll be in the listing somewhere...

Which brings me to ask, what's the best way to advertise without spending loads of cash on sponsored positons on search engine sites?

Also, how mwany of you would buy a Media PC that comes with a 50'' HDTV as a monitor?

Thanks, Ben

GJSNeptune

Heatware
14 0 0
Word-of-mouth is the cheapest. Not always the most effective.

To be honest, the website is pretty far from looking professional, and the front page with the huge graphic at the bottom is pretty tacky.