• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Furmark+IntelBurnTest (simultaneously) fail (always furmark crash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Ah right, so now we're only stress testing our cards at stock and with all limits in place. Cool story. Let's leave it at that.
Limits and protections are not easy to remove. Power limit is hard limit for GPUs. Nvidia has an additional hard voltage limit. Cards will not get over these unless you seriously tamper with them. And by that I mean deliberate registry/BIOS switching/hacking or hardware mods. Protections, especially for overtemperature remain and cannot be disabled. This has been the case for a decade or more. You have to try real hard to kill your hardware. Running Furmark will not do it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Limits and protections are not easy to remove. Power limit is hard limit for GPUs. Nvidia has an additional hard voltage limit. Cards will not get over these unless you seriously tamper with them. And by that I mean deliberate registry/BIOS switching/hacking or hardware mods. Protections, especially for overtemperature remain and cannot be disabled. This has been the case for a decade or more. You have to try real hard to kill your hardware. Running Furmark will not do it.

The very moment you click past a warning box that contains a disclaimer is the moment you potentially void your warranty, and that is all there is to that. You can be all stubborn about it not being so but that really doesn't matter. We know how things work when money is involved, manufacturers will use every last straw to deny a claim and this is quite an easy one.

Determine the cause of hardware failure... was it that ESD because you didn't wear a bracelet when installing the card, was it Furmark, was it the cat. Most failures happen over longer periods of time and Furmark may very well make that time shorter. Do cards insta-burn away when you run it? Of course not and nobody is telling anybody that. Does it have the potential to shorten the lifespan of your card? Absolutely. And the question is: for what, because you're not getting useful info out of running it, compared to other testing.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Why are you so incredibly focused on that checkbox?
A lot of restrictions on warranties are smoke and mirrors. They cannot determine why it died. That is why the limits are getting harder and harder.
There is always points they can try to cower behind but that is the nature of business.

I mean continuing your train of thought gaming will probably make GPU lifetime shorter as well because it puts heavy load on it. Maybe we should not game on our GPUs?

And the question is: for what, because you're not getting useful info out of running it, compared to other testing.
What do you mean not getting useful into out of running it? You can see if your system and especially PSU can feed the card properly. You can see if the cooler on the card can cool it (or components of it) down. You can see if the entire computer (usually in a case) can cool itself down.

What would you say is useful information to gather from running a stress test?

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
What would you say is useful information to gather from running a stress test?

If you want to go in circles all day, be my guest, but please, just stop asking the same questions and read back instead. We're at 1,5 page now of rhetorical questions and obvious answers. So I'm just going to quote relevant posts instead.

Different phrasing, same point. I can rephrase - Furmark works well for verifying the requirements for stability.

No it does not, because you're not seeing the clocks you would see in-game. So you may not hit a power or temperature wall, but you can still be completely unstable in-game. These metrics are related, removing one from the equation eliminates the purpose of testing it.

___
Its all very simple to me.
- You don't gain more/better/accurate information from the use of Furmark, compared to any other test application.
- There is a risk involved that other applications do not present.
- It can create confusion as to what the actual behaviour of your GPU is/is supposed to be.

/thread

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Furmark will not kill your hardware unless you have done something very stupid in terms of limits (which is not easy to do).

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
This conversation looks like it will go round in circles forever.

Look, furmark is great for testing thermals, but as has been explained clearly by many members, many times, with examples and screenshots given... it is not good as a stability test due to running at lower clocks and voltages than you'd see in real world situations. It's entirely possible to be unstable under light load, high clocks and crash in games while furmark might lead you to believe your gpu is 100% stable (possibly leading to you question the stability of the rest of the system).
Double check cpu/memory with linpack extreme/prime95/memtest86+/memtest64, play games with gpu at stock for a while to confirm stability of the rest of the system before pushing the GPU OC. Adjust GPU clocks/volts in the games/benchmarks you like until it doesn't crash, that's about as real world as it gets.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Look, furmark is great for testing thermals, but as has been explained clearly by many members, many times, with examples and screenshots given... it is not good as a stability test due to running at lower clocks and voltages than you'd see in real world situations. It's entirely possible to be unstable under light load, high clocks and crash in games while furmark might lead you to believe your gpu is 100% stable (possibly leading to you question the stability of the rest of the system).
Isn't the problem in the beginning of this thread exactly the opposite, making Furmark the appropriate stress test here? Nvidia display driver crashes when Furmark is running together with IBT. Clocks and voltages are (supposedly) low as they should be with Furmark. Also, he stated Furmark by itself worked fine for couple hours.

This seems to indicate the problem is not with the GPU (or CPU) but either an (possibly compatibility) issue somewhere around motherboard/controllers or more likely power/temperatures as loading both GPU and CPU in full swing will inevitably be very stressful to the PSU and rest of the system.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Isn't the problem in the beginning of this thread exactly the opposite, making Furmark the appropriate stress test here? Nvidia display driver crashes when Furmark is running together with IBT. Clocks and voltages are (supposedly) low as they should be with Furmark. Also, he stated Furmark by itself worked fine for couple hours.

This seems to indicate the problem is not with the GPU (or CPU) but either an (possibly compatibility) issue somewhere around motherboard/controllers or more likely power/temperatures as loading both GPU and CPU in full swing will inevitably be very stressful to the PSU and rest of the system.

It's either a CPU/RAM/Mem controller issue (unless he can also run IBT indefinitely on it's own), or it's PSU related, which is probably unlikely given he has a HX850. It might be a good idea for BenchandGames to save his oc profile and go back to stock settings for a moment to see if it stops crashing the driver under combined load.

System Name BUILD
Processor INTEL® CORE™ i7-13700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI
Cooling NOCTUA NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB G.SKILL 5600 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Storage 2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO
Display(s) GIGABYTE M27Q 1440p 170Hz IPS
Case PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A DRGB
Power Supply ORSAIR RM1000x SHIFT
Mouse COOLER MASTER MM711
Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB TKL OPX
I already said about 100 posts back, that I was going to return the graphic card, and buy a new one. But I did not want to get in the way of the conversation, because they put a lot of effort into it.

@infrared It fail at stock, just take like 20 minutes to fail, but it does also, with some OC on CPU and RAM at 2133 or 2400 it fail in 5 minutes.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
System Name BUILD
Yes running IBT or furmark solo, no problems. I had crash when running togheter, but anyway its not only that, all this was coming from a nvidia driver crash on idle, + lose singnal of my monitor, all this was on idle on chrome exactly, so from this I started to test to try find why I lose signal of my video card. Just after 3-4 days of installing the new RTX 2060, and I remember few years ago, also when I intalled a new video card, (GTX 970) had exactly same problem, monitor go on blank or green, pc freeze, sound freeze idle or load, so I replace that 970 card for a new one, and with the new one 0 problems.
So I want to avoid those problems, and thats why I returt this new card, and I will buy a new one.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This conversation looks like it will go round in circles forever.

Double check cpu/memory with linpack extreme/prime95/memtest86+/memtest64, play games with gpu at stock for a while to confirm stability of the rest of the system before pushing the GPU OC. Adjust GPU clocks/volts in the games/benchmarks you like until it doesn't crash, that's about as real world as it gets.

I say lock this thread down @infrared

Award goes to @BenchAndGames
b7d.jpg

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Yes running IBT or furmark solo, no problems. I had crash when running togheter, but anyway its not only that, all this was coming from a nvidia driver crash on idle, + lose singnal of my monitor, all this was on idle on chrome exactly, so from this I started to test to try find why I lose signal of my video card. Just after 3-4 days of installing the new RTX 2060, and I remember few years ago, also when I intalled a new video card, (GTX 970) had exactly same problem, monitor go on blank or green, pc freeze, sound freeze idle or load, so I replace that 970 card for a new one, and with the new one 0 problems.
So I want to avoid those problems, and thats why I returt this new card, and I will buy a new one.

Running Linpack + FurMark simultaneously require increased value of TdrDelay to prevent display driver timeout.

System Name BUILD
I had already set to 8 value when I was running those

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Try those values:

TdrLevel 0
TdrDelay 60 (decimal)
TdrDdiDelay 60 (decimal)

Also make sure to use the latest Nvidia driver and close any GPU monitoring apps like MSI Afterburner.

RTX 2060 was launched more then a month ago, this can be a bug in the driver or VGA BIOS.

Last edited:
It is not, yet is checked by many users because 'balls to the wall' overclocking. Then users stress test their OC (with Furmark). If the card then fails, your warranty claim will not be quite as straightforward as you might think.
Having it checked means you can adjust voltages manually with Afterburner. It means 100% abso-posi-lutely nothing else. Including having anything to do with Furmark. And no, Furmark has no way of circumventing power limits or affecting operating voltages...period. You're extremely naive to think so. Not only all that. Nvidia, or anybody else for that matter, would have no way of knowing if Furmark had been run or not...even if it did all that BS you think it does.
The very moment you click past a warning box that contains a disclaimer is the moment you potentially void your warranty, and that is all there is to that.
Except that it isn't all there is to that. As, just like not being able to know whether or not you ran Furmark, there's no way to prove you checked that box either. Your warranty is unaffected. Unless they are spying on you(which would be illegal in most instances), or you are stupid enough to admit it when asked. Even then, you would still have a strong case that you did nothing wrong. If they didn't want you to be able to adjust the voltage they can implement a voltage lock in the BIOS that prevents it from happening(even with the box checked). Which is what they have done with many cards. Setting a precedence for it being what they should have done, if they didn't want you to be able to do it. And giving them no real right to deny your warranty for having done so.

Last edited:
System Name BUILD
Try those values:

TdrLevel 0
TdrDelay 60 (decimal)
TdrDdiDelay 60 (decimal)

Also make sure to use the latest Nvidia driver and close any GPU monitoring apps like MSI Afterburner.

RTX 2060 was launched more then a month ago, this can be a bug in the driver or VGA BIOS.

The thing is I will not pay 370€ for something that I need to change and tweak stuff on my PC for fix it. When you buy a video card It has to work correctly. Installed the last driver and voiala, but that wasant my case.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
if i buy a car and drive it as fast as i can in 1st gear whilst towing a massive weight you think i should return it because it overheats?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
if i buy a car and drive it as fast as i can in 1st gear whilst towing a massive weight you think i should return it because it overheats?
Depends, if you are driving up an incline and it requires a low gear, and ambient temperature is not in your favour, then you can't avoid overheating unless you take regular rest breaks ;)

System Name BUILD

We are talking about video cards not cars, I dont know in you country, but here, if you buy something you have 30 days of return it without any reason.
In addition, in my case I had failures with the video card navigating on the internet, or playing whatever, (this is the purpose of a video card) but of course if you do not read my posts. I dont retunt it cuz its crash on furmark, and if is the case, as I told you I can return it with no reasons.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Good to know where some people draw the line with their morals (not you BenchAndGames). Nothing like clicking on a check box that warns of damage, using it the software anyway, damaging the card, then returning the product like the button wasn't clicked and warnings weren't shared from NVIDIA...especially if asked and you LIE so it can be returned... some shady souls around this joint. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.