• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Futro A250 Thin Client hangs under heavy USB drive load

Hi Everyone,

I've got a little problem with my newly bought Fujitsu Siemens Futro A250 Thin Client. But specs first: :)

AMD Geode 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM and external 2,5" 120 GB 5400 drive. The drive doesn't have dedicated power supply; it just has two USB plugs. The temperatures are more than good - the machine is almost cool.

On this little machine I installed Win 2003 x86 and use it as a NAS. Windows boots from the external HDD. The problem is that it hangs under heavy drive load, eg. hashing torrents or uploading files through fast ethernet (11 MB/s). It only works again after a restart. I've also run some tests with Prime95 and the CPU completed them without any crashes.

I really don't know what might be the cause of such behaviour - maybe some of you had some experiences with these machines (Futro Axx series are very all nearly the same) and experienced sth similar?

The only thing I came up with is that my pseudo-NAS needs 12 V 1,6 A PSU (but I have external HDD, which obviously also draws power, increasing the power needs of the whole system). I only have 12 V 1,5 A PSU for this machine. Might it be that the lack of 0,1 A causes these hangs? It's also worth mentioning that the PSU I have looks as it's been of poor quality - its efficiency is 70% at best.

Could you think of any other reason? Any help is much appreciated :)

Last edited: