• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G.Skill TridentX Nominated for 2013 Edison Awards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
G.SKILL International Co. Ltd., manufacturer of high performance memory and solid-state storage, is proud to announce G.SKILL's TridentX Series DDR3 Memory is nominated for the world's fastest DDR3 memory frequency achieved - DDR3 3,900MHz by Edison Award.

Since 1987, the Edison Awards have recognized and honored some of the most innovative new products, services and business leaders in America. The Awards are named after Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) whose extraordinary new product and market development methods garnered him 1,093 U.S. patents and made him a household name across the world. The Edison Awards symbolize the persistence and excellence personified by Thomas Edison, while also strengthening the human drive for innovation, creativity and ingenuity.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

It has a high clock, fair enough but it's not exactly a jaw dropping innovation. It's just a DDR3 RAM with high clock.

I'd give this award to whoever first started with closed loop water cooling systems. This was a true innovation that brought high performance water cooling to the masses and it was as big game changer as it was the first introduction of heatpipe tower coolers that superseded the old standard "blocks of copper/aluminium" coolers...
Ppl will say that air coolers can achieve that as well, but they have to be massive chunks of metal compared to rather compact water coolers.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
It has a high clock, fair enough but it's not exactly a jaw dropping innovation. It's just a DDR3 RAM with high clock.

I'd give this award to whoever first started with closed loop water cooling systems. ......

totally right.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Disagree, Closed loop water coolers are hardly a groundbreaking development. Water cooling has been around for years, its the same system except they made it all-in-one.

Even the smallest radiator is as big as an air tower heatsink, but instead of fixing it to the CPU you fix it to the case. Those double fan radiators are ridiculously big just to cool a modern CPU.

Its really only the big double radiators that can out perform an air cooler, even then its only a few degrees. A good tower air cooler will still beat most of the single fan radiator coolers.

High speed ram isnt anything new either I dont understand what this award means. I would look at something that has revolutionizes the industry like SSDs.

1) Althoug beinig my very own memory, I can never feel comfortable with the naming: "G.Skill" Sorry? "TridentX" Pardon? Sounds like cyberpunk novels and such. Kingston HyperX is soo much easier for the ear, or just give us Walking Dead Corsair Captain, Pirates of the Caribiean TripleX WTF Edition.

2) Edison awards? Any word about who gives them and if it "matters"?

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
People praise GSkill memories.
I would love to try their TridentX 2400MHz 2x8GB on Z77 FTW but GSkill is absent and unreachable at my home like many others...

Disagree, Closed loop water coolers are hardly a groundbreaking development. Water cooling has been around for years, its the same system except they made it all-in-one.

Even the smallest radiator is as big as an air tower heatsink, but instead of fixing it to the CPU you fix it to the case. Those double fan radiators are ridiculously big just to cool a modern CPU.

Its really only the big double radiators that can out perform an air cooler, even then its only a few degrees. A good tower air cooler will still beat most of the single fan radiator coolers.

High speed ram isnt anything new either I dont understand what this award means. I would look at something that has revolutionizes the industry like SSDs.

Well, there is no possible way to stick those big ass Thermalright or Noctua coolers inside my tiny Lian Li case. But i could easily fit the Antec 920. And the performance is ridiculously high without any noise. Where with air coolers, you need much higher air flow to do the same job.
And the fact that they are all in one and maintenance free, that completely separates them from the custom built water cooling systems.

And as for the size of those double closed loops, you do realize they are designed for hardcore enthusiasts that don't want custom build water coolers?
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=7

Look at the temperature and dB figures and you'll see what i mean. 3 dB difference is technically twice the perceived loudness.

SSD's, haven't exactly revolutionized anything because they are just too small for data storage and still too expensive despite massive price drops (i do own SSD so i'm not just saying BS). But i would give the award to Seagate for being the only one who came up with Hybrid design with their Momentus XT series, because it basically combines best of both worlds while not being too expensive and offer big capacity.

There's no justification for any special prize of any kind for memory DIMMs.
I agree with RejZoR

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06

My 23c/37c overclocked Phenom II 945 under a plug-and-play H80 would like to disagree with you.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Where with air coolers, you need much higher air flow to do the same job.

Thats not my experience. I have a thermalright tower that has been on a few different upgrades. I run 1x120mm fan at 1200rpm. I am extremely anal about fan noise. I run a silent system and have done so long before it became a popular thing.

It has kept my overclocked CPUs running silent 24/7 idle and load. Not all fans are equal too at the same speed, some are audible at 1200rpm while others arent.

Thats frosty tech thing is a little flawed, says fanspeed "high" meaning different coolers will be running at different speeds.

Linus just did a video testing the new corsair closed loop coolers and tower cooler, and he does the right thing by running the same silent fanspeed on all of them. So noise is the same. Its really only the newest highest end double fan rad cooler that comes away a few degrees cooler. The tower beats the single fan rad cooler.

Best Type of CPU Cooler Final Answer Linus Tech Ti...

Linus is a fan of them too but when you look at the numbers its really only the expensive double fan rad coolers that come away a few degrees cooler.

Dont forget, we are on the 2nd/3rd generation rad coolers and they are only now just pulling ahead, thats if you buy the highest end double rad version.

It was much worse with first gen, I remember when the closed loop coolers first came out, I thought wow these are gonna kick ass and I'm gonna buy one. But I looked at the numbers and it was the same or worse than my tower cooler.

The closed loop coolers are OK dont get me wrong, they're getting better, but I just think they are over rated a little, expensive and not that efficient when compared to a good tower cooler.,and the double rad coolers limit your choice of case.

Theres also issues with vibration and pump noise as they wear out, with a fan you can just replace it but with closed loop you gotta buy a new one, and leaking issues, I dont know just seems a hassle to me. Once my cooler is installed I dont have to set fan speeds or monitor it, It just takes care of itself.

My 23c/37c overclocked Phenom II 945 under a plug-and-play H80 would like to disagree with you.

I'm not saying they suck, just over rated and dont do much better than a tower air cooler for the price. Anyway, do you live in Joplin MO? Is that Missouri? Isnt that where its freeezing cold and snowing all the time? It was 41 degress celcius where I live yesterday. Thats like 105 faranheit and my cooler was silent and does the job.

I might eventually get one in a generation or 2 when they really pull away from the air coolers, but then again with computers going to low power, maybe none of us will need a aftermarket cooler in a few years.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
What if another ram in 2013 achieves more than that?
What about ddr4 which is around the corner?
This is totally not right

About Edison, I read 9 chapters of electronics and it wrote clearly that he was not the inventor of anything
and history students will disagree with him as an inventor.

I think he was just a figure used for the 'patents' so people pay to the state imaginary patents
Even if he was the real inventor, they never show in public

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
This award is very ironically named. Edison was a total D bag.

They should try naming it after someone truly awesome like Tesla.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This award is very ironically named. Edison was a total D bag.

They should try naming it after someone truly awesome like Tesla.

He is from Serbia.
People from Croatia talk they are from Croatia, xexe
His father orthodox priest.