• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming.

KSHORNTV

So a few months ago my battery died, which in turn made my computer turn off while gaming. It seemed that the computer (GPU?) needed more power than the AC could give causing it to shut down.

So I got a new battery, and everything worked fine for a week or two. Now when I play demanding games like PUBG the AC charger disconnects and reconnects frequently, and sometimes the computer shuts down. GPU-Z logs say that the temperature is not above 80' degrees just before the shut downs, which leads me to believe its a problem with energy consumption.

The computer is an ASUS ROG G751JY with Nvidia 980m. The AC part is original, and the seller said the battery is original too (and it looks identical to the original).

Other things to note is that during gaming the right side of the laptop is significantly warmer than the left side. The right side is where the AC intake is. The AC jack (?) is also pretty warm when gaming.

Again the disconnections and shut-downs only happens during demanding games. Never during browsing. Stress tests with FurMark will sometimes shut my computer off immediately, other times just disconnects and reconnects of the AC charger.

I am attaching some photos from a gaming session, with information form HWiNFO64 and GPU-z. The last picture is taken just as the charger disconnects and reconnects.

https://imgur.com/a/pgjnY

If I understand correctly my AC charger has 220 watt (19,5 V x 11,8 A), so I don't understand why its disconnecting. I thought maybe I could try to undervolt the GPU, but I dint find a program that could do it. The volt option in Afterburner is already at minimum it seems. I can only overvolt?

Regards

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You are overheating. Clean the unit out really good. Of dust.

if you have the disassembly manual, follow it carefully and apply thermalcompound to the cpu and if it has a separate gpu, that too.

You have have a bad power jack solder joint in the laptop motherboard.

Bad power circuit in the residence, bad power cord/brick/battery.

Easiest solution for you would to find a reputable shop for repairs.

KSHORNTV

Thanks alot for the reply @eidairaman1 - that is alot of good tips. I was just inside the laptop when I changed the battery, so its clean but I can look into applying new paste.

You think I would be able to fix the power jack solder joint?

What do you mean when you say bad power circuit in the residence?

I wouldnt trust the shops around me with my laptop, but maybe I have no choice.

Again, thanks alot for the reply.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Depending on your residential home wiring standards for your country you should have a box outside with a breaker next to a power meter there lines that run from that into the room where you're plugging in your laptop to that's your Source power if your Source power is not good things don't work correctly at times

KSHORNTV

Ah, I understand now. I have the same issue in different neighbourhoods so I was ruling this one out, but we never know.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Dirty power is dirty power

KSHORNTV

Update: When I run Furmark now, every time the laptop shuts down immediately when starting the stress-test. So its definitely not a problem with heat, and probably a faulty PSU problem :(

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Update: When I run Furmark now, every time the laptop shuts down immediately when starting the stress-test. So its definitely not a problem with heat, and probably a faulty PSU problem :(

Yeah, it seems your powerbrick may not be original for this specific laptop afterall since it wants to draw more power than it can deliver.
I have an Asus gaming laptop as well, bought it new, never had these problems.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Some power bricks are under rated for the laptops. A buddy bought a cyber power "Gaming" laptop and it would do this constantly. He ended up ordering a universal high amperage power brick and wired it with the original bricks plug and never had a single issue after that.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So a few months ago my battery died, which in turn made my computer turn off while gaming. It seemed that the computer (GPU?) needed more power than the AC could give causing it to shut down.
Not likely unless the problem started from day 1.

Some power bricks are under rated for the laptops. A buddy bought a cyber power "Gaming" laptop and it would do this constantly. He ended up ordering a universal high amperage power brick and wired it with the original bricks plug and never had a single issue after that.
This is highly unusual - and frankly, not likely (at least not with any name-brand notebook) - assuming everything (power supply, battery and notebooks charging circuits) was in perfect running condition and not faulty in some way.

A notebook's power supply should comfortably (without overheating or shutting down) not only support the requirements of the notebook while performing demanding tasks (including heavy gaming) but also charge a deeply discharged battery at the same time.

brandonwh64

Not likely unless the problem started from day 1.

This is highly unusual - and frankly, not likely (at least not with any name-brand notebook) - assuming everything (power supply, battery and notebooks charging circuits) was in perfect running condition and not faulty in some way.

A notebook's power supply should comfortably (without overheating or shutting down) not only support the requirements of the notebook while performing demanding tasks (including heavy gaming) but also charge a deeply discharged battery at the same time.

Cheap "Gaming" laptops are what I am talking about. The PSU's are some no name china brand that struggles to handle the load of the laptop during peak performance. I don't see how you cannot understand that some of these companys would cheap out on item like this? Dell does this all the time with their XPS desktops that are geared toward gaming. We tore into a new one at work and the PSU was like a 400W generic style PSU and was not even 80+ rated running a I7 6700 GTX 1070

KSHORNTV

I bought the computer used, it was 5-6 months old. But it worked flawless until the battery died last month - it never had these PSU disconnects before the problems with the battery.

So, if the seller sold me an unoriginal PSU it did work for one year though. It looks like the original ones when i google for them, and its very heavy ;D

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't see how you cannot understand that some of these companys would cheap out on item like this? Dell does this all the time with their XPS desktops that are geared toward gaming.
First off, I never said I didn't understand. I said it is "unusual", not impossible or that it never happened. Second, there is a big difference between notebook and PC PSUs so you cannot compare. Third, IMO there is no such thing as a good "gaming" notebook. Makers can pack the power of a PC into a tiny notebook case, but not the cooling. And if you consider even good mid and full tower cases are challenged to keep the innards properly cooled, it is no wonder notebook cases cannot.

But this is about power, not cooling and as a tech, I stand by what I said. The power supply that comes with any notebook (cheap or otherwise) "should" support the notebook while tasked and charge the battery too.

KSHORNTV

Yeah, it did support the notebook. And it supports the notebook of my friend who has the same excact model. So I guess have to guess that its the PSU that has some problems and it needs a replacement?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I'll look up the brand I got when my OEM laptop charger died. Took a huge OC like a champ directly off the power brick and was way over the watt limit the laptop manufacturer specified.

I like overclocking laptops.

EDIT: AcBel is the brand I got and it's been solid for the two years I've had it. Mind it handled a 100% overclock if that says anything.

Last edited:

brandonwh64

First off, I never said I didn't understand. I said it is "unusual", not impossible or that it never happened. Second, there is a big difference between notebook and PC PSUs so you cannot compare. Third, IMO there is no such thing as a good "gaming" notebook. Makers can pack the power of a PC into a tiny notebook case, but not the cooling. And if you consider even good mid and full tower cases are challenged to keep the innards properly cooled, it is no wonder notebook cases cannot.

But this is about power, not cooling and as a tech, I stand by what I said. The power supply that comes with any notebook (cheap or otherwise) "should" support the notebook while tasked and charge the battery too.

Have you seen some of the newer laptops that feature the 10xx series Nvidia cards? They are within 5% of their desktop counterparts. I have a MSI GT62VR Pro-Dominator87 with the I7 6700 and GTX 1070. It plays at almost the same level as my desktop does with a I7-6700K and a GTX 1070 (before I changed to a 1080ti). Gaming laptop are becoming more powerful that the older style that feature mobile GPU's

KSHORNTV

One more thought. I just tested fumark with only the battery, and the laptop shut down after 2 seconds. So how can the PSU be the problem when the same thing happens with just the battery?

I wish I found a way to undervolt the GPU.

Thanks @Toothless I'll look into that

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, it did support the notebook. And it supports the notebook of my friend who has the same excact model. So I guess have to guess that its the PSU that has some problems
If that power supply previously supported the notebook and it currently supports your friends "exact same" notebook, how can you conclude or "guess" it is bad?
So how can the PSU be the problem when the same thing happens with just the battery?
And how can it be the PSU when it works fine your friends exact model?
Have you seen some of the newer laptops that feature the 10xx series Nvidia cards? They are within 5% of their desktop counterparts. Gaming laptop are becoming more powerful that the older style that feature mobile GPU's
:( Gee whiz, dude! I clearly said, "Makers can pack the power of a PC into a tiny notebook case, but not the cooling."

KSHORNTV

I thought the PSU was the problem. I thought it have gone bad after time - but since the same happens with the battery, I dont know anymore.

To be clear I never tried my PSU on my friends laptop. But he has the same exact looking PSU.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But he has the same exact looking PSU.
You cannot go by looks. The output voltage must be the same. The output current must be the same or greater - not less. And the connector not only must be the same, but the polarity (+ and - ) must also be the same.

KSHORNTV

True. I live in a different country than him now so I cant test. I will try to get my hands on a measuring device to see the output. But dont you agree its weird that the same thing happens on the battery?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But dont you agree its weird that the same thing happens on the battery?
Weird? No. This could still suggest a heat problem, or a component failure within the notebook.

Note you cannot conclusively test a power supply just by measuring its output. The supply (whether a power supply or battery) must be tested while under a variety of realistic loads.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
You can still run normal programs like internet explorer or any internet browser without shutting down on battery power.

When it shuts down, does it blue screen or just shut down.

KSHORNTV

Yes @yotano211 I can run normal programs, browse, watch movies, probably play a little (didnt try)

No blue screen, just instant shut down. (not reboot)

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Yes @yotano211 I can run normal programs, browse, watch movies, probably play a little (didnt try)

No blue screen, just instant shut down. (not reboot)
When you replaced the battery was it a Chinese battery that fits or the real name brand battery.