• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gainward AGP 7800GS 512Mb GPU - adding watercooling to an ol' rig!!

Bob Wya

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice over what block to use for an old AGP 7800GS+ 512Mb Gainward card. I haven't quite got round to ripping the heatsink off yet (as the PC is still be used on aircooling for a little longer).

I gather people had lots of problems getting the bridge chip (AGP-PCIe) cooled when the card first came out. I contacted Danger Den about whether their old full coverage block (7800 - non-SLI) would work with the card... They wanted details of the chip and hole spacing (which I can't provide yet). NB they don't even list their old 7800 block (on the DangerDen website) but you can still buy it.

Just wondering whether I can get a stock full-coverage block that would do the bridge chip somewhere for a 3/4" I/D loop? .... Or do I have to use generic block (Maze 5) and something like the mini-cooler blocks that Alphacool produce?

Sorry I've only built up one watercooled rig before so I am still total newbie at this!! :confused: (I must confess to even being a virgin GPU BIOS flasher :eek: - but I have flashed DVD drives to make them region free :slap: )

Thanks if anyone can help in between rewiring your graphics cards!! :pimp:

Bob

I think a generic block, and a seperate cooler for the bridge chip may be a better option, since I don't remember seeing a full-coverage block for the 7800GS AGP cards.

Bob Wya

Yeh,

Thats kind o' what I was thinking having read old forum threads on the topic... :toast:

Thanks

Bob

Bob Wya

Hi,

I feel bad because I hadn't noticed that AQ had released a suitable block. Sorry I didn't really want to put you to the trouble of looking around.

I am no big DD fan. But I do prefer Copper over Alu for my loop parts. However it looks like it might be the best option... Its available to buy in the UK so thats looking even better!!

Now I just need to strip the motherboard down to see what coolers I need for the cooling the Mosfets on the motherboard... :cool:

Bob

lac

Last edited:

Bob Wya

Ah great,

That saves me a lot of hassle buying that block!! Also useful to see the layout before I rip of the stock cooler... Uhm do you think a Maze 4/5 would fit the core chip? I ask as the main core cooler holes have funny layout... Aren't they normally diagonal across the chip - not in a line at the top? Maybe a bit of drilling would help... :pimp:

Whats wrong with the Aquacomputer block (i.e. can it be tinkered with or is it totally pawned??)

Like the DIY look of your card... I take it you don't have a rig with a side panel window (I agree all that EMI :toast: )

Thanks and all the best,

Bob

lac

i dont have any xperience with maze block but i think it will not fit the bliss cause even with the reference design this guy here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4331698#post4331698 still needs to mod his maze to fit his evga w/c is a reference board. i have been searching the net for info on a water block for this card but to no avail cause i think gainward only made 1500 units of this card ( http://web.archive.org/web/20060617...co.uk/acatalog/Nvidia_AGP_Graphics_Cards.html ) and their is no incentive/profit for a cooler company to make an after market cooler for this board.

the Aquacomputer block is design for the reference board i think, like a board with this layout http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/agp/leadtek-7800gs-scan-front.jpg and this layout is completely different from the bliss.

this card still has some life left in it, i can still play clive barker's jericho in it at 1680*1050 at max settings with shadow disabled.

Last edited:

Bob Wya

Hi

Yeh, I can't do much till I can take the GPU board out and have a look at it naked... I am sure I can get a cooler out their somewheres :rolleyes: for the core... The RAM and bridge look like less hassle to W/C (a chipset block for the bridge and 2x MOSFET blocks for the RAM). Its just the funny position of the holes for that core chip and the fact that the core needs some serious cooling :cool: I need a block with large hole flanges to spread to those diagonal holes (bottom left and top right) of the core chip... No bother heh heh!!

I am just moving some parts into a bigger case as a wedding gift for my sis... As long as the card can handle HD .mkv and .avi thats my main concern... I doubt she will be doing much gaming (can't speak for her hubbie of course :pimp: ). So I am really watercooling it for quietness (and to try for the holy grail 4Ghz P4 overclock :) heh heh :eek: )

Bob

P.S. I had read that EVGA board mod. article already... Thats the one that got me to start this thread!!