• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game Content, The Good, Bad and Ugly.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
In another thread I made a comment about Skyrim having lots of content (which is true).
My pal Frick, made the comment that while there is indeed a lot of content, it's shallow.
While I don't agree that it's shallow (the amount and depth of lore in the ES series in incredible) it is rather generic fantasy fare.

Note : Content in this context is storyline, not graphics or other game assets.

There aren't a lot of games where the experience is a ride into a philisophical one that makes one think on a deeper level, but that brings up some interesting questions.

Do you buy a game for pure entertainment, or do you want a thought provoking experience?
Would you prefer less, deeply involved content (a shorter game) or are you fine with just lots of generic content?

The two are by no means mutually exclusive, but as the content of a game grows it does become much harder to make every experience a deep meaningful one, and the question becomes, "is this even necessary to create a thoroughly enjoyable game?"

So .. what do you all think?

PS. No, this is not a stealth contest. lol

FATKONG

Processor PHENOM II X2 550BE
Motherboard M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling AMD COPPER BASE STOCK COOLER + IC ESSENTIAL E2 ( COOLER MASTER)
Memory TRANSCEND 4X1 , 2X1 - DDR3 1333MMhz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE RADEON 6850 X 1 GB
Storage WD - 500 GB HDD
Display(s) BENQ V920 LED 18.5"
Case ZEBRONICS < BIJLI>
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD
Power Supply ZEBRONICS PLATINUM 600W
Software W7 ULTIMATE
Game content + a bit of decent gfx dosent harm

here is my top 5 gaming xperience (content wise )

1> Medal Of Honor allied assault ( i remember those good o'l days )
2> Max Payne 2
3> GTA Vice City
4> NFS Underground
5> Batman Arkham Asylum

[ note these games narrowly missed the margins --- mirror's edge , cod black ops ,bf3 , bf2 , crysis 2 ]

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
OFFICIAL CONTEST ENTRY:

I love content rich games that really bring alot to the table. They submerge the player in a world or environment that can be a welcomed escape from reality, which is why games were created. :)

Also, some of my favorite games are: Starcraft 2, GTA 4, Prototype, NBA2K, Skyrim, COD 2, and the originals like Doom, Wolfenstien, and Decent.

I still think System Shock 2 tops all my charts. If anyone remakes it to work on Win7 or Win8, i'm willing to pay 50 EUR for it (again).

The immersion level in this game is just jaw dropping. Anyone who played it will know what i mean. When you walk the decks of Von Braun and UNN Rickenbacker, you can just feel the metallic floor beneath your feet, everything about it is so believable. And i still think that if this game was done in any other engine than Dark Engine, it wouldn't feel like it did. The game was released in 1999, but it looked better than games released years later, mostly because they employed an artistic touch to textures that added the unique feel of bump mapping. Objects just felt like they have more detail and depth because of it even though they were still very low poly objects.

If there was a possibility to erase my memory of System Shock 2 gameplay i'd do it several times a year just to experience that pristine experience of playing it first time. Over and over.

loloTHUNDAH

Content wise, I don't need that much content to get me addicted to a certain game. I'm after the story, plot and the likes.

For me, the Assassin's Creed series gives one of the best storylines and gameplays a modern day game could provide. Still can't wait for AC3

I was kinda Sad with Skyrim since there's just too much to do. Compared to Fallout (which I'm currently playing), Fallout has more immersion (for me).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Note : Content in this context is storyline, not graphics or other game assets.

This is where Bethsoft falls short. The storyline in Skyrim (and Fallout 3 for that matter) is just a sideproduct, and it's not made that good. The dialouge (which carry the storyline) is generally speaking pretty stupid. Yes the ES universe has a ton of interesting stuff, but it's all relegated to the background, and hunting butterflies for wings and trying to climb mountains with a horse while turtles snap at your feet is the foreground. And that bugs me. In a game where you can do "anything", the specifics and fine detail is pushed away. But credit where it's due, Skyrim would've been a better game if they included a hardcore mode, you know when you have to eat and sleep etc. Now it's just a bunch of stuff to do but you don't gain anything by doing it, except levels, but when there's nothing to do other than randomly explore and fight of wolfs that keep attacking you (and the occasional dragon fight) it gets rather pointless. Yes you can shout, and the shouts are pretty cool, but to what end? The world is so open it feels cramped and pointless. There's no effort to anything, except grinding (which shouldn't exist in a SP game and anyway it's not a real effort), it's an empty shell. You're pretty much a God, and that is not a good way to do these kinds of games.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I never finished oblivion for the same reason. While there is a lot of content, it tends to be generic.. Same reason I find myself having stopped playing Skyrim.
Mass effect had a nice story until ME3 imo..
I like well developed characters and plot lines.
Things that drag me in. Shallow is garbage to me.
I find myself playing L4D2 more than Skyrim now a days.. That in it's self is sad.

Personally I think it is a terrible strategy, to make a huge game, that is absolutely boring.. Yay there is so much to do! But it's all the same thing, repackaged.. Go here do this, go there kill that.. Bleh..
I want a solid story..

loloTHUNDAH

I want a solid story..

I totally agree with you on this one. Games nowadays are just made for the sake of making one and making money. I compare games to modern storybooks since to be honest do kids today pick up a storybook about princesses and same crap and read through them? they're more likely to grab a controller and mash away turning them to rotten spoiled brats.

If a game delivers an amazing story, with the right amount of content, that would be a great buy.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I totally agree with you on this one. Games nowadays are just made for the sake of making one and making money. I compare games to modern storybooks since to be honest do kids today pick up a storybook about princesses and same crap and read through them? they're more likely to grab a controller and mash away turning them to rotten spoiled brats.

If a game delivers an amazing story, with the right amount of content, that would be a great buy.

Go play The Longest Journey.

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Well, they are re-releasing ff7 from what I hear.. That was a great story.. :p
Can you tell I'm biased? lol..

Go play The Longest Journey.

Yea I heard great things about that game.. But it's very old now I think. ; ;..
While I :love: story, I also require graphics. :ohwell:

I like games with deep plot and games with multiple choices.

Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness - this has the most complex and interesting plot ever written, plus graphics which was quite mind blowing for 2003, plus amazing music. I'm a plot whore.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy - One of the best games. It's deep and even has some philosophical moments.

No One lives forever: The Operative - Pretty long game full of funny moments and humor.

Perfect Dark Amazing gameplay and great plot.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates It has a very strong plot and a really big world to explore.

I don't think I've ever played any other game which had so many cool elements like these 5 games.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Sigh storyline arguments, if I want to read a book, I'll read a book. I can guarantee you that no studio is our hiring the next Tolkien because 1. it would be impossible to live up to, 2. it would completely take away any control the user has over the outcome of events.

Instead they try to give the user the most control they can while trying to tell the best story that is possible with the time constraints, user choice limitation, and budget contraints.

PLUS it's foolish for any game studio to put too much into story because everyone likes different things.

I personally love the max payne series for the gameplay, but think the storyline sucks ass and is completely unbelievable, especially number 2. Yet maxpayne 2 made the favorite list for storyline for someone else in this thread.

This is the same as those who don't like cutscenes made with in game graphics, sure the pretties are nice but if I want epic cutscenes I'll just watch a movie...

again people it's gaming! as in I want to play, relax, kill things, and otherwise do cool crap that isn't possible in real life.

Stop trying to put gaming in a sub genre of something else. Video games are their own genre and they serve their own purpose.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
again people it's gaming! as in I want to play, relax, kill things, and otherwise do cool crap that isn't possible in real life.

Stop trying to put gaming in a sub genre of something else. Video games are their own genre and they serve their own purpose.

They do serve their own purpose, and to me that purpose is to tell/experience stories in new ways. Yes, cutscenes are bad (generally), but lenghty dialouge is not (if done right).

Also, I find it pretty funny that you don't like the story in Max Payne because it's unbelievable and then claim you play games to do stufff that isn't possible irl. :laugh: (no offence (as this is a Civilized Thread), I just laughed)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Video games are their own genre and they serve their own purpose.

Video games aren't a genre, they are an interactive medium. How that interactivity plays out, and what suits you, is what I'm interested in hearing from you all. This is, of course, all subjective and there are no right and wrong answers ... just opinions.

It seems that most of the people who've posted thus far prefer following along a story (assuming it is well written). These types of games remove most of the control from the player even if the game appears to not do so, as the developer's must keep the story flowing in one particular direction or another. There is nothing wrong with this as I personally love a good book.

There are, however, a lot of people who like sandbox types games where the story is minimal (if there is one at all) but gives the player a huge amount of freedom (and content) to do their own thing, even if that thing has nothing to do with the intent of the game.
A few good examples in different genres are Minecraft, the ES Series and EvE Online. These games sell extrememly well, and their longevity is a testament to how much their fan base likes them.

So, this introduces another question. If someone is tossed into a sandbox game (with no particular direction), where they have the option to do anything their heart desires, and they don't like it ... why?
Too unstructured? Too much of a creative investment when all they want is to be entertained? Lack of imagination or find setting personal goals in a game undesirable?

I personally enjoy the sandbox games more, but that is my own opinion and I would like to hear what makes everyone elses' boat float.
Again, there are no wrong answers (and there will not be a quiz at the end :D )

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Sadly the game with the most content that ive ever played is...... Dwarf Fortress.. easily

PLUS it's foolish for any game studio to put too much into story because everyone likes different things.

And why is that? The more diversity the better. Otherwise there would be a lot of braindead games that just clone each other. I don't want to play cod, bf and all that meaningless stuff I don't care about. It's boring and dull. Video games can't be called art it's rather entertainment but it doesn't mean it has to be about wsad and mouse clicking. There has to be originality.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
There are games like Skyrim, which after playing for quite a few hours I can honestly say that the default experience is a vanilla cone with some sprinkles as far the depth goes, however, it does allow for individual gameplay that keeps you occupied if you don't mind some monotony.

Then there are games that require a player to actually work for the win, and while I agree after playing Skyrim it does seem a bit shallow, if it hadn't been so shallow for new to RPG users like me it would end up like Morrowwind, or numerous other RPG's I have, too little time to invest in a game makes it annoying to play. Skyrim once you learn the basics, the rest gets picked up and the fact you can float by on a few skills makes it (almost) too easy to play, but hard to stop.

In the end I feel that having played Skyrim now I will be able to understand the genera of RPG enough to play Morrowwind and other games and appreciate them if not like them.

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
I still think System Shock 2 tops all my charts. If anyone remakes it to work on Win7 or Win8, i'm willing to pay 50 EUR for it (again).

The immersion level in this game is just jaw dropping. Anyone who played it will know what i mean. When you walk the decks of Von Braun and UNN Rickenbacker, you can just feel the metallic floor beneath your feet, everything about it is so believable. And i still think that if this game was done in any other engine than Dark Engine, it wouldn't feel like it did. The game was released in 1999, but it looked better than games released years later, mostly because they employed an artistic touch to textures that added the unique feel of bump mapping. Objects just felt like they have more detail and depth because of it even though they were still very low poly objects.

If there was a possibility to erase my memory of System Shock 2 gameplay i'd do it several times a year just to experience that pristine experience of playing it first time. Over and over.

OT: i've successfully managed to get it working using the SS2 ModManager and SS2Tools plus a lot of re-skinned textures, models and sounds (all optional) not to mention full 1920x1080 resolution. I share your love and admiration for the game as I bought it back in '99 and only recently just re-installed it after determining to see it through to completion. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the link for everything you'll need for it.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Steevo : If you can get past the really dated graphics, Morrowind is a better game from an imaginitive standpoint. It's much more surreal and interesting than either Oblivion or Skyrim.

@Drone : RE: Originality. : One could argue that there is no originality in video games as the developers' had to get their inspiration from somewhere and are just expanding on previous ideas. Thoughts?

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
I have understood after a lot of years of gaming, that difficult games where you try to complete levels, they get a storage in mind.
It has to do with your real life experience though. I hate Call of Duty and there is a big chance i hate people who play call of duty. You dont need any brains to complete that, just kill people.

Good)My preferred games are those where you use your brains, have a logic why you should use your brain and the story. Buying and selling in a game is optional and it seems great.

For example where you use brains is the tomb raider(1-6) series. The objective is to find secret places, but that experience can even be used in real life!

Dead Space, Indigo Prophecy and Condemned story are my favorites. They have a great stories.

There are normally other great games which i have played from NES to PC.

Bad)For example i hate sports games. You better play them in real life. But if a basketball game, gives you a T-Shirt if you complete 3 point, than it has a good reason to be played.
I totally hate games where you should find pieces in the screen from a picture, or girls games.

One last thing is the graphics. I like cartoon graphics like GTA San Andreas than real life graphics

System Name demon tower ( Died 2020 and no funds to reserect)
Processor I7 920 oced to 4.0 gig
Motherboard evga X58 classified
Cooling corsair H100 water cooler
Memory Kinston extream 2000 MHz 6GB
Video Card(s) nvidia gtx 680
Storage 250 gig ssd
Display(s) ASUS 24 in 144 htz
Case Antec full tower
Audio Device(s) creative sound blaster Z
Power Supply 1000 watt evga
Mouse Torq carbon
Keyboard Logitec G710 and a G13 game board
Software win 7 ultimate
I personally play games to get away from the day to day stress that is real life. I like to take my frustrations out in a virtual world( you generaly dont go to jail for it) I happen to like the shooters as the multi play against other people presents a never ending challenge as no two people react the same. But I also play games like diablo which is a hack and slash game.

Games in my opinion with the best stories were crysis,medal of honor. and a very old game Mechwarrior4.

System Name HAL
Sigh storyline arguments, if I want to read a book, I'll read a book. I can guarantee you that no studio is our hiring the next Tolkien because 1. it would be impossible to live up to, 2. it would completely take away any control the user has over the outcome of events.

Instead they try to give the user the most control they can while trying to tell the best story that is possible with the time constraints, user choice limitation, and budget contraints.

I personally love the max payne series for the gameplay, but think the storyline sucks ass and is completely unbelievable, especially number 2. Yet maxpayne 2 made the favorite list for storyline for someone else in this thread.

This is the same as those who don't like cutscenes made with in game graphics, sure the pretties are nice but if I want epic cutscenes I'll just watch a movie...

lol.. Ok everyone, conform to Yogurts way of gaming or you're just idiots.. You see how dumb that sounds now? lol..

Ug, I could dismantle these series of statements easily for the next few minutes but I think it's best to just move on..

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Let's try to present our own opinions and not react to others because we may not agree. Okay?
This is not a suggestion if you get my meaning.

@Drone : RE: Originality. : One could argue that there is no originality in video games as the developers' had to get their inspiration from somewhere and are just expanding on previous ideas. Thoughts?

But this can be said just about anything else that people ever do. Don't you think so? Everyone reinvents a wheel somehow, everyone "steals" ideas (even unintentionally). Originality should lie somewhere else. It's not like "wow this is kewl, no one ever did this before!!!" it's rather "I found another way to do it".

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
But this can be said just about anything else that people ever do. Don't you think so? Everyone reinvents a wheel somehow, everyone "steals" ideas (even unintentionally). Originality should lie somewhere else. It's not like "wow this is kewl, no one ever did this before!!!" it's rather "I found another way to do it".

I agree. So what are some games that you think used previous ideas to good new effect?