1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game won't run when I switch it to onboard sound for headset

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Red_Machine, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, not sure if this is the right section or not, but oh well.

Basically, this morning a game I want to play has decided to refuse to run when I set my VIA intergrated audio as the default audio device so I can get sound output through my headset. It was working fine last night.

Now, this isn't your usual game, it's a Japanese visual novel that I'm running in a window. I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the game and rebooting my machine (first thing I tried) but I can't sort it. When it loads up, with the VIA set to default, it just stays on a black screen. If I unplug my headset and plug it back in again, the game will progress to the developer's logo but go no further.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I was thinking I could maybe use a program to force the game to use my VIA chip when I have started it up with my Audigy2 set to default (which works fine).

I'll try reinstalling the drivers for it and get back to you.

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    btw have you disabled the onboard sound when you run dedicated soundcard?
    And why dont you plug in on speaker so you dont have to switch switch again? I guess it simplier than switch the sound

3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I have both the SoundBlaster and the VIA set up together and I have been using the VIA to drive my headset since I set this PC up with no issues up until now.

My monitor has no headphone jack, so I unfortunately cannot use that method.

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Driver reinstall does nothing. It is the lastest.

5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    The "Jack Detection" feature has given me a few problems in the past (not like what you're experiencing) but I'm unsure if VIA even uses that feature?
    Try disabling Jack Detection if possible.

How are your Windows updates set? Could it have updated itself last night/this morning?

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    The jack detection is on, but it doesn't matter now. It magically sorted itself out!