1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games give-away - Build a PC!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Hellfire, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    the gpu in a p4 is about "actually quite a bit less powerful" than a mobile 7970 (alot less powerful than a full on 7970)
    you can easily do better in terms of gpu. "the p4 is the gpu to beat as its the stronger"

an fx 6300 would beat a 8 core jaguar apu even if games were optimized for multi threaded. the individual cores are better than the mobile jaguar cores and also run a lot faster. saying the jaguar is better than a quad core dedicated cpu is a bit like saying a pentium D@1.5ghz is better than a I5 running on a single core@3ghz. even if games can utilize all core 100% the i5 would still be better..
    ( i could make a build around the above points, but honestly could not be bothered to put that much work in to finding the parts lol so i settled on the fx 4300 with the full fledged 7970 which is more powerful than any console. and i decided to throw in a blueray because consoles have them.. )
    although i must admit making a MUCH better pc is prety damed difficult. but making a better pc is possible. and its missing the bigger point of you can spend the £100-£200 extra on your pc build, and you made that money back after buying 5-10 games. "the difference saved" and that saving only ever goes up the more games you buy.

@kursha its all good lol.

2. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    OK, here's my build on parts picker.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rvXC4D

Motherboard gives one space to upgrade.
    The 260x is a nice card.
    Hitachi HDD, it should last a while.
    Cougar PSU, heard good things about these.

Very basic build, very capable of beating a console.
    All for under $500! ($52.19 to load up the Steam Library!)

:D

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Breaz

Thanks Received:
    ok maybe a 6300 would beat a jag but I was not talking about a 6 core. By the time you put the 6 core in you are over. I find 4 gigs of ram now day is getting small for gaming that's probably y the ps4 has 8.

You did however get my with the repaired 7970 never thought if that.

4. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    its 8gb of shared ram on console though.. gpu uses it too.. so a 3gb card and 4gb system ram is 7 gb of ram vs 8gb of console ram. but with better cpu and gpu. and bandwidth may be faster on the console ram but again its shared so you dont really get that much benifit

5. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Have you actually seen the specs for next gen consoles, they're EASY to beat.

CPU - 8core Jaguar at 1.75Ghz with only 2x2mb Cache
    GPU - Custom onboard APU which equates to a HD7770 with NO dedicated memory at only a 800mhz core clock speed and 768 shaders (Xbox)
    RAM - 8 GB of ram shared between Applications and GPU. in a 256bit bus (PS4)

So yeah, All in all.. Not that impressive.

XSI says thanks.
  6. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Really.... that is a sentence I'd never thought I'd hear.... Hitachi mixed with Quality :p

7. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I believe the word "Quality," was never used. "...should last a while."
    Not quite the same meaning, not even close! :D

Hellfire says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else? 4 days left to submit your builds folks

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, tough one. Way too many different build combinations for you to be able to test or find independent review of and draw a conclusion.

And what qualifies as 'beating' or 'better' than a current console? Framerate? Image quality? User experience? Flexibility? Energy use?

10. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    i just went with what i would consider better than a console lol.
    so im probably no where near it

11. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Two questions.

1) Do we have to provide an OS with the build? That saves at least 100 USD right off the top.
    2) Do we need to provide a case?

12. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    the 1st post seems to say it has to be pc tower. which i assume just means case..

and as for do you have to have an os.
    it was asked on page 1. and the answer was

"That is a choice people will have to may when it comes to their builds. As I said I will take everything into consideration."

Hellfire says thanks.
  13. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    With respect, you don't seem to be running the competition. What questions I posed were for everyone's benefit, and neither of these two questions have been answered clearly.

Technically, a NUC would satisfy all the requirements, be smaller than the PS4 or Xbox One, and provide its own case. I'm assuming that this isn't in keeping with the spirit of things, so I'd ask the OP to offer some restrictions. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable question to ask them.

Edit:

My entry is as follows:
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945 - The dual core nature is offset by higher clocks, hyper threading, and much better power consumption than the APUs utilized in the consoles.
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731 - Compromised here. The feature set is paltry, but the cost was right. I'd prefer to go with something in the Z series of PCH, but the budget wasn't there.
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313345 - My god are these things ugly! The price battle won out again here.
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159124
    - 80+ certified and rated for 500 watts. It isn't bad, and even offers some expansion with the 6/6+2 pin power option.
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840 - It's hard to find an HDD as crappy as the ones used in consoles. 5900 RPM drives need to be jettisoned, and the 500 GB size is a cruel joke. I shot for 7200 RPM, and a more spacious 1000 GB.
    GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131564R - Not what I wanted, but not bad. Another few bucks might offer you a slightly better brand, but it'd still be in the same general family (260x). AMD offers the best bang for the buck at the low end, and the 260x almost directly competes with the GCN features present in the consoles. While optimization may never allow the 260x to see the performance gains consoles will, in 18 months the next generation of cards will out perform it at the same price point. Consoles will remain relatively static in comparison.
    Tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353043 - No frills. Standard black tower, again a compromise to meet budget.
    Controls: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104402 - The OP assumes that a mouse and keyboard are the way to go, but I disagree. This controller feels like a good old PS2 one, while offering some very useful PC tricks. No need for the expense of a mouse and keyboard here.
    Assuming that you can't do away with the mouse/keyboard, replace the controller with this combination:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129030. Same price as the controller, so net build cost doesn't change.

- This is a minor cop out. I'd have preferred Windows 7, but that's a budget breaker. SteamOS offers tons of games (more than the Xbox One and PS4 library combined at time of writing), if not everything that a Windows based system would offer. For the $100 you save, you can buy several excellent games.
    ODD: None - Not sure I have to justify this one. Steam, Origin, and other online stores offer better selection and game pricing than the brick-and-mortar stores. Having that ODD, but not using it 99.99% of the time is a price that a build like this cannot sustain. If RAM pricing comes down from the moon, it might be worth including. As is, it's a vestigial component that can be removed without too much pain.

Total cost: $493.92 (483.92 with $10 rebate)
    Factoring in slow shipping, the mail-in rebates, and the discount if you're a premier customer, you're looking at significantly less than a console ($499.99 plus tax).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  14. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

A case is a requirement yes.

As for OS you're welcome to use open source but using a Windows OS will gain extra points

lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
  15. MustSeeMelons

MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    This is the best idea for a giveaway I've ever seen, great work! :clap: Will enter at the evening :)

16. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Do we think the O/S shell used on consoles has a factored cost in the price?

18. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    No, which is why those that use Steam OS is not penalised.

BUT if you manage to get a build which is better than a Console which includes a Win OS then that deserves something ;)

19. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but without links to confirm prices, I can't accept the entry bud.

20. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    http://www.enterkomputer.com/simulasi.php

the links are here
    but you have to input it yourself because when i go to the final page, the input link get reseted

21. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Okay guys, Few more entires welcome, Competition closes tonight at 23:59. winner announced shortly thereafter

22. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
  23. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

The winners have been notified, they have 48hours to claim their prizes.

Winner
    Devon68

Reason: He built what I feel is the best powerful rig in terms of CPU and Graphics, did not compromise on parts and managed to get 8Gb DDR3 of DDR3, a 1TB HDD as well as a DVD drive which most people missed out on. Points were lost for the drive not being B-Ray but the same with almost everyone else

Runner up (worst build)
    mafia97

Reason: Whilst being massively over budget in terms of price in USD (works out at $600) I felt that Mafia built a very powerful gaming rig which beat / was close to the price of the console in his country, (which he did link to) But as he was WAY over budget he can not be a contender for the top spot. Nothing was compromised and was using quality killer parts, the fact he got a full A10 in there also made me giggle.

Well done everyone else, All bar a couple built what I would say is a rig which would beat a Console easily.

Shambles1980, Devon68 and mafia97 say thanks.