1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games raising kids IQ!

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Dec 15, 2009.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I know alot about WW2 because of games. So yeah you can learn alot from them. Also I learned alot about guns and military stuff through games.

3. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I played Civilization II when it came out for PS1 when activision ported it way back in the 90s.
    I was confused back then. Played it so much I hated the new ones.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah same, i've learnt alot from games as well, pretty much the same stuff as you.

I just had a look at your new build, I like your case, we got the same one:toast:, cant wait to see when ur finished;)

DrPepper says thanks.
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I learned that it's not wise to enter the pits of hell with only a dagger and cloth armor, so yes, you can learn from video games. :rockout:

Seriously, it's not the video games per se, that raise their IQ, it's that fact that they have to make some type of analytical decisions in the course of their gaming. They could accomplish this by playing any number of board games also (which would also improve their communication and social skills).

If a parent would take the time to play games like Monopoly, Risk or even card games with their kids, they would learn more (and more quickly) than if they just plunk them in front of a computer or console system.

When I was young there was no internet. We had to blow stuff up the real way.

TheMailMan78 and tzitzibp say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I miss the old days when ppl and kids used to be really active, now all i see in the streets are tumble weeds lol :D:D:D

7. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    If you don't see your kids outside, just look in Azeroth. They're probably there.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  8. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The thing that is really of concern is that if the internet and electronic communications were to cease (for whatever reason), I think that there are many people here in the US who would not have a clue how to survive. Especially in the urban areas.

In the rural areas it's not so bad. Most people (including the kids) have a reasonable grasp of how to go about fending for themselves. You just need the four basics; Shelter, Clothing, Food and Ammo.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:

This is an important one. :roll:

10. EnergyFX

EnergyFX

Thanks Received:

the / goes inside the []... kinda like the underwear goes inside the pants. :slap:

11. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Energy, I lol'd at that. But I'll give Zithe a break as I've made a few BBCode typoes in the past.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes another reason for building a new rig when i get money dam money

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Too bad internet cancels out anything even remotely connected to intelligence.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Join a COH channel and you can see it lowering it also..

15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Oh no, my friend, it simply makes it obvious who are the "haves" and the "have nots".
    Unfortunetly, the "have nots" seem to be the majority on the internet.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I think if we lost the internet the 40 million myspacers would commit mass suicide.

17. Shadowdust

Shadowdust

Thanks Received:
    Intriguing, how shall we go about testing this theory?

I completely agree with you on that one.

18. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Lol i think it would end up like that episode of South Park were there is no net and apsolute panic from the population.

19. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Isnt it like the skills you develop by playing games, in like strategy games you have to develop the tactical skill, some games require a puzzle or a mystery, you enhance your reflexes or eye cordination in FPS games.
    I think im talking BS but then again wtf would you learn from serious sam other than quick thinking and eye coordination.

I learned how to fly a Boewing 747 in MS Flight Simulator... no i didnt really but that would be hella funny if someone actually tried to get a pilots job saying that. I played house of the dead there for i have the skill to kill a zombie outbreak and some boss type characters.

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    games (especially RTS) require logical thinking, lateral thinking, planning, timings, and many other things.

FPS games like CSS tend to not take much, apart from reflexes and a zombie like state of concentration.

(WoW is a good example of mindless clicking that would have minimal benefits, but at least its social)

the (good) RPG's actually have some moral information in them too, teaching kids that stealing gets you brutally murdered by angry mobs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure that teaching children being the bad guy gets you far in life is a good thing lol :laugh:

22. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Or teaching kids its cool to have stupid hairstyles.

23. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. tzitzibp

tzitzibp

Thanks Received:
    you are so right!

any experience will put their little minds to work...
    the other important thing about games on youngsters is that it actully enhances their reflexes!:D

25. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Glasgow monopoly is fun but i never have anyone to play it with : (
    EDIT: i forgot to add that computer games can be social if you play with a friend, online or local

26. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    From what I have read even those specific exercises meant for IQ improvement are not improving IQ only to help people get higher IQ scores because of improved ability to solve those test.
    I think that kids are much better with doing sports than sitting on PC 10 hours a day. Even doing nothing just being out side is much better than wasting time on games.
    Better reflexes - yes in games you play I don`t think that will help you dodge a flying fist towards you.

27. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    The problem is these days there arnt the places to play for kids like there used to be and there so many options for television. When i was growing tvs were small and crap and vhs or beta was king these days its hd tv with mutiple channels pay tv blue ray dvds digital dls and all the portable media players and smartphones.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  28. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    personally i'm opposed to kids doing too much sports. all it does is encourage them to take physical actions to everything, usually violence.

I know a lot of people from the two sides of the fence, and 90% of the heavy sports players i know are extremely aggressive, and most of them heavy drinkers (which if you ask them, they all started drinking after their sports events, copying the parents/coaches)

douglatins says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  29. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    What actually needs to be in place is a balance like a mix, sometime on the computer sometime doing other things.
    Your not better off being out doors for the sake of being outside, that make no fucking sense to me.

Parents need to take kids to places, the emphasis is for the parents to take their kids places, usually in Glasgow its park the kid outside with his mates and then sit in or go to the pub, then they wonder where the fuck the child ran off too.

Sports isnt everything well not to me anyway, as long as people get a good diet and some movement everyone is fine.

Id rather kids kicked around a football in the grass for fun rather than a serious sport but they make out like games are the route of all problems, i think its the food! Its far to easy to give your kid £2 for the shop and they can buy a ton of sweets, then in the house they dont get the proper diet from a healthy balanced meal. I dont know any kids who sit in all day and play Playstation they do it sometimes but most are running around shouting and calling me swear words ive never heard of before, which can get annoying when you just want to go to town on the bus or walk to the paper shop.

In the UK we get the impression Australia is big on sports, the cricketers and people that come over here tell us that. They act like because kids are made to do sports at a young age up to adult life they are better for it, they have better sports facilities because everyone does it. I dont think you are into sports that much.

30. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i have no problem with kids being outside, it just seems that theres an over-excited group of people who think that you're either a nerd, a pussy, a girl, or you're playing contact sports and seeing who can drink the most before throwing up.

10 Year Member at TPU