1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gaming and youtube

Discussion in 'Games' started by WhiteNoise, Oct 9, 2017.

1. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    So my daughter has been wanting to record, edit and post gaming videos to Youtube for awhile now. I wasn't really into this but the wife finally caved and said ok. (We plan to let her do it but the videos will be private until we feel going public is ok.

Anyways I can google this but I thought maybe someone here has experience and can tell me what I need.

Best software for recording gaming (not streaming)
    Best software that is user friendly for editing videos and adding voice over.
    Best software that allows me to add video overlay of her while gaming.

I have a Snowball Ice mic packed up. Would this work well? Should I look into a better mic?

For recording her (when we get to that point) I have a HD video recorder. Does 1080p/60 is that good enough or do I want something special for PC duties?

She has a pretty beefy PC. Her PC specs:

i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz
    DDR4 32gb
    GTX1080 FE
    on-board sound (though I have several quality sound cards on hand to install if need be)

Anyways thanks for any help. I have never had any interest in this stuff myself but my daughter is pretty determined.

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Cant remember what software Twitch, Nvidia shadow play does overlay for you. Too easy.

Sony Movie Studio is like $60. Easy to use

As far as sound the mic is more important than the hardware

WhiteNoise, Kursah and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Frankly I let my son use the built in recording software from Geforce Experience, works great. Doesn't seem to harm gaming performance too badly either. I did give him a spare 1TB hard drive for video files to be stored.

He was using my Samson USB mic before we got him a gaming headset with a working mic, and while it isn't pro-grade it is plenty good for the kinds of videos and tutorials he is doing. That mic will be more than good enough.

His system specs are in my signature (the GTX770 one), and it works very well overall. He was recently doing some videos for his Doom 2016 playthrough. I think you'll be in good shape. If anything, you may want to look into video editing software...I need to do this for my son as YouTube has taken their online video editing suite away...leaving us to do it offline, which is better anyways. I've been lazy and haven't gotten around to it but need to now. :)

WhiteNoise and rtwjunkie say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    I'll second (or third) the GeForce app. Although I don't stream or include myself playing. Just record.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  5. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use/used Open Broadcaster Service, it allows you to capture entire displays, specific programs, full screen applications, and even allows you to overlay a combination of any at the same time, resize etc. It'll allow you to record yourself and a game and arrange them accordingly and do the encoding real time. It even has transitions for production. The realtime encoding is pretty efficient, not to mention the software is completely free and open sourcee. I will however mention it is quite easy to use (most open source free software looks like ass and requires Linux levels of comprehension, this does not).

As for recording yourself/your daughter's self, I used a logitech C920. It does 1080@60p and has half decent hardware properties that allow you to adjust white levels etc. I started off with a Snowball iCE and then moved onto the Yeti. The Snowball is certainly good enough for most.

As for video editing software, that's where it gets a bit hmmmm. The good stuff is difficult to learn (I used Sony Movie Studio Platinum). The easy to use stuff is kinda trash (Movie Maker).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Solaris17, Kursah, WhiteNoise and 2 others say thanks.
  6. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    I haven't done this stuff in quite a while but that mic is nice, the only problem with it would be noise from it being on the desk with everything else along with no pop filer and the struggle to keep it as close to your mouse as possible so quality of your voice is good.

I think ShadowPlay is great too just keep the bitrate sky high to reduce quality issues, YT will introduce enough no need to add to it.

I have heard that people use Audacity to record mic separately I have no experience using ShadowPlay to record a mic.

I don't think there's a good near free software solution to edit video/overlay. I would recommend Jester's option, Sony Movie Studio.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    it used to be OBS & a logitech C920, for rec..... Dxtory works good , but costs iirc.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  8. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    I used shadowplay for recording mostly, but also for streaming a couple of times, its quite easy to use and works quite well. But I started using OBS more, as it gives a lot more options in setting things up, like different audio channels (quite useful if you want to separate your annoying buddies over at discord when you're trying to record something while talking to them), different resolution presets and so on.
    As for Mics, I've had both Snowball and Yeti, and looked to me that snowball picked a lot less background noise than Yeti, but I did miss a mute switch on a Snowball, so if that's something that you're worried about, might wanna look at something like a gaming headset.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  9. mac_user

mac_user New Member

Thanks Received:
    The best software for recording is OBS. You also have the option to stream, if you want to in the future. And for editing, you can use Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X which are really easy to use and precise. Good luck! :)

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  10. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I began using OBS along time ago when I used to twitch stream quite a bit, in my opinion one of the biggest mistakes people make is setting the bit rate to some ridiculous number like its gonna make things magically better :) . iirc, 2000-3000 was sufficient, but its been a few years.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I tested shadowplay yesterday. Set it up for 10gb of storage and 50mbps. It actually worked very well. For testing I just used my headset mic and it recorded my voice perfectly. I play at 4k so I did get a bit of slow down here and there while recording Dyinglight. Funny thing though; the recording did not show any of that slow down. Is that strange? The recording was perfect. I couldn't even see any issues with picture quality. So Shadowlight worked perfect and I think is pretty easy so my daughter shouldn't have any issues.

I looked into OBS and that does look like it has much more to offer so I will try that next.

I'm going to order a webcam soon. I was leaning towards the Logitech C922 but I will look into the C920.

Thanks for the help everyone.

12. GorbazTheDragon

GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    I would back OBS.

Very versatile software because it supports many different encoders, and hardware.

Used it on 3 different setups for lots of different stuff and with enough tweaking it did everything I needed. Streaming, local recording, high quality, low-loss. Especially with modern hardware you can really adapt to just about anything except completely lossless encoding.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  13. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    Blue Yeti Mic is good start up

seem every kid wants to be youtuber including my kid

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  14. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    C922 has a virtual green screen and as far as I remember 60fps sensor as well. If youre not interested in that, you can save a couple of bucks with the C920.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  15. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Best practice is to have the software recording to a different HDD to the one the game is running on. If you record to the same drive you're running from, you'll get stutter.

In terms of bitrate, there's really no need to record at 50Mbps at 4K, since YouTube will only display it at 1080p anyway, and it'll just add time onto the upload speed and force it to do more compression. Better to record at similar settings YouTube would use to cut down upload times and prevent your videos going blocky during downsampling.

I can drop you my settings for OBS recording 1080@60p since there's a lot of tweaking involved for the initial setup.

I was actually wrong about the C920, its 1080@30p, but I found 60FPS wholly unnecessary for recording myself in a tiny box at the top corner.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  16. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...I have been fighting against this for a few months now. When she asked me (around 3 months ago) what I think she wants to be when she grows up? and I responded with "a vet?" she said..."No dad I want to be a youtuber." So I sat there and explained to her how that is a bad idea. I told her it is fine as a hobby or project but not as a career path. She is just a kid though and doesn't see the big picture yet.

So I've been against it but the Wife decided it was fine since my daughter is so into doing this. Once I have everything set up I plan to keep her videos private on youtube until she knows what she is doing and we decide she is ready to go public.

flmatter says thanks.
  17. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    In that eventuality, disable video comments. I believe you can also invite people to view private videos with email links. So send a couple out to friends/family so she doesn't get disheartened by 0 views.

ERazer and WhiteNoise say thanks.
  18. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Its the virtual green screen that is a selling point for me. I watched it in use and it works pretty good. This would save me the trouble of using an actual green screen, and also block out the background of the room.

Great info thanks dude. Yeah that would be awesome if you can drop me your settings. I have no idea what I'm doing so any help is a plus.

I'm running everything off my PC while I figure this all out then plan to move it to her PC and train her.

I am looking for an easy to use video editing tool. I was looking at that Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14. That is what I'm leaning towards.

19. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    I feel ya but im staying strong dunno how long ima last with constant nagging :banghead:

Generation with gamer dad :laugh:

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR

Thanks Received:
    GTX1080 FE -> Shadowplay for everything.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  21. mac_user

mac_user New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a current tendency. With the perfect life, they all claim to have it is not a surprise that our kids want to follow their example. I would if I was young too. :laugh:

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  22. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered the Logitech C922x and will receive it tonight. I noticed shadowplay has a webcam feature so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

As for video editing I'm thinking about using Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X10. Would this be a good alternative to Sony movie maker? Corel looks to be the more robust and feature packed tool.

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I concur with ShadowPlay, and GeForce Experience for a beginner. It's the easiest and most convenient (time and space saving) option. I've used a variety of capture tools and editors from Fraps, to GameClaw, to DxTory to ReLive, to Afterburner, to OBS, and ShadowPlay is actually more reliable, convenient, and easy to use than any of them.

I've also used a variety of tools that can be used for video/audio editing muxing/remuxing from Movie Maker, to VirtualDub, to Vegas, to Adobe, to Audacity, to OBS, and the only one of those that's as easy to use as GeForce is Movie Maker, and not included in Windows anymore.

Trust me, if your daughter is into social media at all, she'll likely want something that's quick, easy, and takes up little space. That's ShadowPlay and GF Ex in a nutshell. Just make SURE she doesn't post her pic, or any personal info, including her name, on YouTube.

There are also some tricks you can use to get best visual quality out of YouTube, and they have guides on that on their site. One thing they DON'T tell you though is you can get slightly better image quality on 1080p vids by saving the captured and edited 1080p file to a bit larger 2048x1152 copy before uploading it to YouTube. This makes the vid very sightly blurrier, but tricks YouTube into using a higher compression rate when converting to their format. That easily more than makes up for any loss from the slight over sizing, and results in a better looking video.

If her ISP doesn't have great upload speed though, she may want to stick to 720p videos.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Kursah and WhiteNoise say thanks.
  24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    We do not have many options for internet here where I live. Currently have a 100/10 mbps service (though realistically we get 117/14). I've been thinking about upgrading to the 300 Mbps service since we cut cords and went full streaming in our home but haven't bit the bullet yet. Even the 300 Mbps service it only provides 20Mbps upload.

That said I have uploaded to youtube recently and it didn't take long at all.

25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's not bad with a 14Mb upload speed, you should be fine with 1080p vids. I'm currently stuck at 3/4Mb upload with my 15Mb CentruryLink, and even if I change to the local 100Mb cable ISP, the upload is only 5Mb. So trust me, I know what you mean by limited ISP options, and mine are way worse than yours.