• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming consoles and USB mice

I didn't know where else this would fit in terms of subject so I figured I'd shoehorn it here.

What exactly do PS5, XBone, Xbox One X users get out of connecting USB mice to their systems? Can they use the mice in gaming? What about 1000Hz+ sampling rates or high DPI mice? Does that get them anything? What about the ability to switch the mouse DPI on-the-fly?

System Name Black Diamond
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Motherboard msi a320 a pro max
Cooling Default
Memory 32 GB ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Rtx 2070, 86 F no extra fans or stuff.
Storage nvme samsung (the fastest one) 1tb
Display(s) Some sceptre monitor and a tv
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
Pretty sure you cannot use mice with any console directly, You would have to get some sort of mod usb to use one.
Like this for example. It looks a bit expensive tho. But this is just one example.
"https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-Remapping-Crossover-Converter-PlayStation-4/dp/B07SXBW6XC"

Screenshot 2021-07-03 011654.png

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
What exactly do PS5, XBone, Xbox One X users get out of connecting USB mice to their systems?
Better typing experience? :D
The only time I had a KB+mouse connected to console, is when I had PS3 running YellowDog Linux. Otherwise there's little to no practical reason to do it, even today.
Can they use the mice in gaming?
Only in supported games. Back in my times it was near none, nowadays it's still only few games, which I can count on my fingers.
Unless you need a little competitive advantage in Overwatch - don't bother.

Pretty sure you cannot use mice with any console directly
You can use it, there's simply not enough games that support it. That questionable overpriced remapper can be a solution, but it's $99 and you still have to program it.
from personal experience I can tell that remapping XY axis on thumbsticks to XY on the mouse, or vice-versa is always a janky process with less than desirable results.
What about 1000Hz+ sampling rates or high DPI mice?
High polling rate not gonna work. PS/XB use bog-standard HID driver, so your mouse will likely be capped at 250pps.
That's also a reason why some high-polling rate keyboards don't work - need to switch it to legacy mode in order to function properly.
DPI switching will work. Swithching DPI on the fly should also work.