1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Mouse and Keyboard

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Exile_Chavez, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey dudes of the forums! I am back with another question.

I have atm the Logitech EX100, and as most might note, not for gaming. I have had this for 8 months now and the keyboard and mouse are both going glitchy. Im not going to bother going into detail.

So I am after a gaming mouse and keyboard that will:
    -Last a long time
    -Cheap as possible, aka <110(dollars, not euros)
    -And has proven performance by others
    -Right hand oriented mouse, with preferably >3 buttons

I have already considered the common Logitechs G500s, MX118, G5, G9; and the majority of Razor's collection. So pretty much I need help with what to go with. And when it comes to purchasing from, I do prefer newegg, or the brand site.

PLZ HELP MEH! :D

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I've never tried it but given your budget try the Logitech G9X. It fits all your requirements and if it ever fails on you Logitech is one of the best companies out there in terms of warranty service.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got a saitek eclipse II keyboard, its taken about 4 years of abuse and still going strong. standard layout, LED backlit, tough as a brick, basic media keys.

as for mouse, logitech G500 is my current favourite. G500 has... 8 usable buttons.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I also really like my G500 mouse. It has more buttons than most other gaming mice, and feels solid. I wish it wasn't such a funny color, but oh well.

My keyboard is a Logitech g110. I got it for the ability to plug in my headset/mic into the keyboard, the back lighting, and the macros. It turns out I never really use the macros, I love the backlighting, and I always have my headset plugged into the back. It was the multi color backlighting and headset jacks that swayed me from a Saitek. Can't go wrong with either.

I am by no means loyal to Logitech, it just seems that I always end up buying their stuff.

5. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried them yet, but I plan on getting into the sidewinder series by microsoft. They go on sale often on amazon.

6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    microsoft sidewinder x6 keyboard detachable numberpad has macro functions volume knob and led lighting knob along with media keys. i have it paird with a logitech MX 518 gunmetal mouse if you shop around should come to under $110 and i have to say its worth every penny best keyboard / mouse ive owned

keyboard has short strokes but there resilient and bounce back nicely overall great keyboard has smaller keys tho so may take some getting use to but as of now i love it for FPS games my fingers dont need to travel as far to hit the keys i need at a moments notice. as for the mouse is rock solid 1800dpi with good tracking on most surfaces its comfortable to use and extra buttons do what there suppose to over all great mid range mouse without breaking the bank

7. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a used G15 I got about a year ago for around $45, it looked good as new though and still does. The LCD is nice for a few games and monitoring GPU temps/fps w/o needing to take up space on the screen with OSD. My Logitech G5 mouse rocks for sure, it's taken a beating and is still going strong...got that for $45 at a BestBuy sale...the one time something I was looking for they had cheaper than Newegg! Both have treated me well, though I've used Logitech keyboards and mice for years and gaming oriented or not worked well for me..but a gaming mouse was a nice plus with better DPI and feel to it.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a Sidewinder X8 Mouse and Sidewinder X6 keyboard. I cant fault either of them personally. I abuse my keyboard alot as i like to beat hell out of em when im frustrated in a game, etc. And the sidewinder keyboard laps up the abuse. The red backlight is perfect and you can dim it to any level you like. It also has media keys and some u can programme yourself.

I love the mouse also. It's rechargable but you can charge and use at the same time. I like how i can change the dpi on the go with its three buttons which you can set to varying dpi. Usefull if you play fps, etc.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i have heard a lot about the G15 keyboard and the G500, my friend owns the latter, and he says its the best thing he has ever had. As for the sidewinder series, I haven't even thought about it, let alone knew about it. I have some looking to do.

What you guys think about Razer?(PS they match my case LEDs[:)])

10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    G500 mouse and G13 keyboard are my choices.

g500 is awesome. everything that was great about the 518, with an extra button and a better surface, that doesn't slip after extended sessions.

the g13 may not be worth the price for some - but for gaming i hate a full keyboard, and i want reprogrammable keys with quick macros. that left me pretty much one option.

11. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking at the G9, looking pretty good.

Still have this odd pull to Razer for some reason

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a G9 its pretty solid,plus you can load your profiles to it and uninstall the software,if you wanted.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long have you had it for? And is it close to what it was out of the box?

Cause that is what I am really looking for, a mouse and keyboard that hold their own for a long long time

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I have had it for about a year,its still perfect,the feet have still not worn away after all this time.There are two tops depending how you prefer to hold your mouse.I'd recommend it totally.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I just watched like an hour of reviews on the G9(x), so that is probably what I am going to go with. Now I just need to find a keyboard, and a good place to get the G9 really cheap

16. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    But I still don't want to get a really freakin expensive keyboard, so logitech is providing to be issuees.

17. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    So been looking around some more, and I think I might go with the G9 and G110(both Logitech). Anyone know a good place to get them cheap?

Also update with the EX100, it is so glitchy during gaming that any game(including Flight Sim X) is so ridiculously unplayable that I have given up until I get a new set.

18. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    DUDES i have found the logitech G15 and G9 for a total price of 100 dollars!!! UNFREAKIN HEARD OF.

FYI im ordering it now :)

19. MadClown

MadClown

Thanks Received:
    I got a Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard, I've punched and slammed it multiple times and only the tab key flew off(easily put it back on though). Very solid, and has some nice extra hotkeys to use, which should be re programmable, not sure, haven't tried. As for a mouse, I got a Logitech G5, which looks alot like a MX518 and G500. Works great aslong as you have a relatively smooth surface to use it on.

20. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can a mouse pad effect the laser in the G9?

21. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    in what way? it should be fine on a mouse pad.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    so you know, the G500 has the same features as the G9, its just newer and in the old (G5/G7) shell.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Tartaros

Tartaros

Thanks Received:
    You can try the apple keyboard. I have been using it for 3 years for gaming and it's the most comfortable keyboard I had. At first it's a little weird (specially because the alt and command/windows buttons are switched) but once you get used to it is the best. It has no programmable buttons but if you aren't used to that is a minor problem. Also is very quiet, sturdy and easy to clean.

24. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I use the G9 and a standard mouse pad that is over 2 yrs old and have no issues.

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes a mouse pad can effect it, but pretty much only in good ways.

The better the surface, the more accurate the laser is - whether or not you notice it, is another thing.

The main thing that matters to me is how smooth the surface is. I like a friction-free, silent glide over my mousepad.

10 Year Member at TPU