• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming on my pc...

Victor286

System Name Black Betty
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Z77
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LowProfile 8GB 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature Edition
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB/ SSD-OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Display(s) ASUS 23"6 Full HD w/Speakers
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Black)
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
Software Windows 8 Professional 64bit
Specs:
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
CPU: i5 3570k: Stock 3.4Ghz / Turbo 3.8Ghz (so far I haven't figured out how to get the turbo to kick on)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: ASRock Extreme4 Z77
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature Edition (Currently running idle at 1138 MHz via the Physic X App)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB (Windows 7 64-bit installed on this drive)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB SATA 6.0 (Currently Empty)
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
Optical: ASUS DRW 24x DVD Burner
Monitor: ASUS 23.6" Full HD w/Speakers (1920x1080P using HDMI to GPU)

I just put this system together and it was my first time building a PC ever. I had a little difficulty figuring out where all the cables plugged into because the overall lack of diagrams or decent information provided with the products. However, I was able to figure it out after a little trial and error (5 hours worth). I still haven't tried to do any cable management really I was more concerned with getting everything connected initially so its not as pretty on the inside as I would like.

I would like to start palying some games on this thing. What are some games that would play well on my current system at 1080P with graphics at the max or as close to max as possible? I currently only have Rome Total War installed on this PC from my Amazon Digital Games Library. I haven't had time to see what it's like on it but it's an old title so I doubt it will show off what my rig can do.

Is it Important that I overclock my GPU/CPU, or should running things at stock settings be fine? How much more performance does OC'ing generate in regards to gaming and everyday usage like surfing the net and messing around on the desktop?

Also should I purchase a gaming controller for games like Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefied 3 and so on or is it just as easy to use a keyboard and mouse? I would think a controller would be more intuitive and less time consuming which would result in a better gaming experience. Am I wrong to think this in a FPS where every second counts I would think navigating a keyboard and using a mouse would be a severe disadvantage over someone using a controller.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
I would like to start palying some games on this thing. What are some games that would play well on my current system at 1080P with graphics at the max or as close to max as possible?

How about almost any game out there give or take a bit of AA.
If I can't play a game with the KB&M, I don't play it.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Specs:
CPU: i5 3570k: Stock 3.4Ghz / Turbo 3.8Ghz (so far I haven't figured out how to get the turbo to kick on)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature Edition (Currently running idle at 1138 MHz via the Physic X App)

I just put this system together and it was my first time building a PC ever. I had a little difficulty figuring out where all the cables plugged into because the overall lack of diagrams or decent information provided with the products. However, I was able to figure it out after a little trial and error (5 hours worth). I still haven't tried to do any cable management really I was more concerned with getting everything connected initially so its not as pretty on the inside as I would like.

I would like to start palying some games on this thing. What are some games that would play well on my current system at 1080P with graphics at the max or as close to max as possible? I currently only have Rome Total War installed on this PC from my Amazon Digital Games Library. I haven't had time to see what it's like on it but it's an old title so I doubt it will show off what my rig can do.

Is it Important that I overclock my GPU/CPU, or should running things at stock settings be fine? How much more performance does OC'ing generate in regards to gaming and everyday usage like surfing the net and messing around on the desktop?

Also should I purchase a gaming controller for games like Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefied 3 and so on or is it just as easy to use a keyboard and mouse? I would think a controller would be more intuitive and less time consuming which would result in a better gaming experience. Am I wrong to think this in a FPS where every second counts I would think navigating a keyboard and using a mouse would be a severe disadvantage over someone using a controller.

For the CPU, turbo should be auto enabled (?)
Use a program like CPU-Z to run while you do something intensive. You should see the processor speed ramp up. If not, then it's disabled in the BIOS - you can enable it yourself.

Make sure your Vertex SSD has most recent firmware *or check that firmware works well without any bugs; it's hard to 'roll back' firmware once you've applied it*

Shame about your monitor. The GPU have for it is .. more or less overkill.
Look to get a 27" or 30" soon if you can. 30" will be costly since the LG w3000h is out of production, but there's a lot of good 27" for $400 or less.

And in conjunction with the monitor comments, you won't need to overclock your GPU as long as you have that screen.

Yes, definitely get a controller. Logitech Rumblepad 2, XBOX 360 or Playstation 2/3 wireless (official only, do not get an imitation third party). The first two can come with PC usb versions (or can get a cheap usb adapter) and work with any game that supports controllers.
It's nice and comfortable for certain game types. You also find that you will switch back and forth depending on the game or if you want to sit further away from the computer.
Certain programs may be written to use both KB/M or game pad, but the experience might be clearly better with one or the other.

As for which games to play, anything you like!

You already made this thread and got an anwser so why are you making another one?

edit: And about using a controller... sure if you aren't planning on playing online FPSs.

Last edited:
System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
If you already have answers I won't bother with that.

But I will jump on the controller discussion, they're great for a limited number of games. Just buy a used wired xbox 360 controller as almost all modern games have built in support for it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
For FPS and some TPS You want a mouse and keyboard because there is never a Deazone like there is on a Gamepad. Driving- gamepad, joystick, Wheel with throttle/brake. Flight- Game Pad or Joystick with Throttle and yaw Pedals. Fighting Games- Definitely a Gamepad.

Specs: