• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Router for PS5

James Banon

Hi all,
New to this forum, I quickly did a search and found this site, anyway I need some help. I'm currently having issues with ping and lag at home when playing call of duty warzone. I have standard spectrum equipment with 300 mbps. (no fiber in our area) I have 3 ps5's that are occupied by myself and two son's which we all pretty much play at the same time. I also have a daughter and a wife whom love to stream while I'm trying to get my gaming on. lol I'm looking to purchase a router that would help my lag and packet loss while playing and still be able to fill the needs of my family members. Open to suggestions and I'm not tech savy. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Get linksys velop mesh or Alien AX mesh.

Three PS5, wow that's almost as many as probably my entire city was able to order o_O

As for your issue, budget perhaps & layout of the house as to how you'd like the router(s) to be placed?

James Banon

Three PS5, wow that's almost as many as probably my entire city was able to order o_O

As for your issue, budget perhaps & layout of the house as to how you'd like the router(s) to be placed?
forgot to say that all 3 consoles are hard wired.

is there ways to have a steady amount of bandwith to my ps5 and the rest divide to family?

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
See if your router has QoS option, basically with this option you can prioritize gaming before streaming or web surfing.

Last edited:

James Banon

See if your router has QoS option, basically with this option you can prioritize gaming before streaming or web surfing.
I called spectrum and got their newest most up to date router yesterday, I don't see the QoS option and still having the same packet loss issues. These are the only options I came across in router settings:

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 55
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I'm currently having issues with ping and lag at home when playing call of duty warzone.
Are you sure it's not the server you are playing on?
I'm looking to purchase a router that would help my lag and packet loss while playing and still be able to fill the needs of my family members.
yes but below
forgot to say that all 3 consoles are hard wired.
Are you using good cables? Are all three playstations hardwired to the router itself or are you using a switch, old router in bridge mode, powerline adapters, etc? If all three are connected to the router, I'm not exactly sure what a new router will fix here unless the router itself fails to handle your ISP performance.

I also have a daughter and a wife whom love to stream while I'm trying to get my gaming on.

Most streaming services are so compressed they take up up very little bandwidth.

I think you need to figure out if this is a game issue, ISP issue, client issue, or router issue.

Are you getting your paid for ISP performance via hard wire to a single client and no ping issues? You can use Ookla speedtest to find out.
Are you getting your paid for ISP performance via mobile to a single client and no ping issues?
Are your daughter and wife's mobile clients receiving good signals and performance?
Using one play station, are you having the same issues with warzone? With two play stations?

James Banon

Are you sure it's not the server you are playing on?
I have no idea. How do I check to see if that's the problem? I tried google DNS 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be worse packet loss when playing on that set DNS.
Are you using good cables? Are all three playstations hardwired to the router itself or are you using a switch, old router in bridge mode, powerline adapters, etc? If all three are connected to the router, I'm not exactly sure what a new router will fix here unless the router itself fails to handle your ISP performance.
yes on cables, all having same issue and all are wired directly to the router. When doing a connection test on ps5 I'm getting 260-300 mbps download and 22 upload.
Most streaming services are so compressed they take up up very little bandwidth.

I think you need to figure out if this is a game issue, ISP issue, client issue, or router issue.

Are you getting your paid for ISP performance via hard wire to a single client and no ping issues? You can use Ookla speedtest to find out.
Are you getting your paid for ISP performance via mobile to a single client and no ping issues?
Are your daughter and wife's mobile clients receiving good signals and performance?
Using one play station, are you having the same issues with warzone? With two play stations?
it's hard wired to home not sure how to check ping issues. I did a in game ping look up on warzone and was averaging from 80-100 ping. Wife and daughter stream with no issues. I have noticed when playing on one ps5 at a time I get less packet loss but it still happens. I get those 3 orange boxes, middle of left side for most of the game.

Thank you very much for this reply, you seem to know a lot about this stuff so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. Only thing I know about this stuff is what I google. lol

I also opened the NAT on my ps5 by port forwarding. However, I couldn't get all 3 consoles to open NAT. Only mine was open and the boys were moderate. It didn't stop the packet loss. So I removed the port forwarding and we're all now moderate. It just seemed to run smoother that way when we were all on. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I have no idea. How do I check to see if that's the problem? I tried google DNS 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be worse packet loss when playing on that set DNS.

yes on cables, all having same issue and all are wired directly to the router. When doing a connection test on ps5 I'm getting 260-300 mbps download and 22 upload.

it's hard wired to home not sure how to check ping issues. I did a in game ping look up on warzone and was averaging from 80-100 ping. Wife and daughter stream with no issues. I have noticed when playing on one ps5 at a time I get less packet loss but it still happens. I get those 3 orange boxes, middle of left side for most of the game.

Thank you very much for this reply, you seem to know a lot about this stuff so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. Only thing I know about this stuff is what I google. lol

If you have a laptop or computer you can connect it directly to the router and run something like ookla speed test to check your ping to one of their servers ( I would try several server locations). You can also test it via a mobile client but the results are for mobile performance obviously.

'm getting 260-300 mbps download and 22 upload.
download performance is plenty for streaming, upload is rather limited if you have three gaming consoles but do-able

I did a in game ping look up on warzone and was averaging from 80-100 ping

Most likely your issue, 100 ping would be high but OK for a MMORPG but for a MMO shooter it can result in lag. Not sure what the three orange bars are (I don't play the game) but my guess is they are a high latency warning. I would try the warzone forum and see if you can pick certain servers that have less latency issues for you or even the smallnetbuilder forum since that forum is dedicated to solving issues like this (I post there now and then as well).

I don't believe you have a router issue. You have an issue between the game server and your ISP. It can be either or both.