• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Garry's Mod Spacebuild Revival server/Hardware discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name HP DL380 G5
Processor 2x Intel Xeon X5460 @3.16 Ghz
Motherboard HP DL 380
Cooling 6 60mm intake fans rated for 14k RPM max load
Memory 16GB of DDR2 667Mhz
Video Card(s) AMD XFX R7 360
Storage 3x 140GB 10K SAS JBOD
Display(s) 1x Hisense 42" TV
Case DL 380 G5
Audio Device(s) HDMI Out
Power Supply 2x 800w Proprietary PSUs
Mouse A cheap logitech wireless mouse
Keyboard Acer KU-0355
Software Windows 10!
Benchmark Scores Ill get around to em soon
Hello!

I'm in a pretty complex position, Dealing with a limited amount of funds for this project

I am trying to create a spacebuild sandbox server, Utilizing some of the latest addons I could orient from private ex-server owners who still had the main files around...

This crunch I am in (Living expenses, Just moved) gives me about $150 dollars to spend on this project
#####################################What my few options are###############################################
I have a HP DL380 G5 I could outfit with the cheapest and fastest processors I could get with my money (Like 40 bucks for a pair of X5460s), and still leave me money to buy cheap SAS drives (A maximum of 8 which I could put into RAID 10 for optimum redundancy and performance, I've been running my PC on a single 15K 144GB SAS drive for almost 3 years now...I have a trust with it. I'd need 6(I already have 2 in RAID 0) more SAS Drives for the RAID array...but I haven't seen anything with caddies under 20 dollars apiece....
The X5460s don't support hyperthreading and that'd be wasted hardware.........

My other option is I buy a completely new server with whatever funds I have, I was thinking about buying a HP DL380 G7 with a pair of fast quad core processors that DO SUPPORT Hyperthreading. But this is an even beefier investment with a higher potential of performance (DDR4 RAM, Higher bandwidth storage controller, updated BIOS etc.)

From what I have been told, Garrysmod is 32 bit, single cored, and CPU beefy due to an amazing physics engine. Hyperthreading would benefit here...

I'd like to hear any hardware suggestions you may have...

################################################################################

OS Recommendations? I'd want to use something windows based and in doing so wouldn't overcomplicate the fabrication of the soft-serverside.

Spacebuild servers are incredibly CPU intensive and require lots of physics calculations and also has to keep a lot of SENTs updated.

Are there configs I could edit to increase the performance of the server as it is furtherly strained...I heard of tickrates but never thought much about it

My Goal
I'd want to be able to hold at least 16-24 people on the server with little to no degradations of performance...

Could someone give me all the tips and tricks, and whatever need be to help make this server be at least playable, and fun to enjoy as well, I am willing to put a huge time sink onto this project and run it until the Gmod Devs break the whole works...Thanks to all!

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Status
Not open for further replies.