• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway i510300h/2060 (non max q)

Trevormcooper

So been playing with throttle stop,

I have set it to -125 and -75 and limited the turbo in fivr to 3.5 across the 1/2/3/4 core options
Temps dropped radically and it seems stable,

i pretty much exclusively play elder scrolls online, is the under volt stable because I limited the high end? Can you reccommend anything specific as far as configuration goes? I get lost with all the check boxes as I am pretty new to this

Deleted Ini

Reboot

Untick bd prochot

Tick speed shift epp

Test 120m result 17234 max temp 89 max 52w

Limit reasons red core and ring pop up immediately

Clear high scores

Fivr

Ratio limits 1/2/3/4 capped to 3.5

Tick disable and lock turbo power limits

Test 120m result 17930 max temp 79 max 47.2

No limit reason errors

Tick log file

Cpu core and cpu cache set to -50.8

Test 120m result 17628 max temp 75 max 43.4w

No errors in limit screen

Where can I go from here? @unclewebb

So been playing with throttle stop,

I have set it to -125 and -75 and limited the turbo in fivr to 3.5 across the 1/2/3/4 core options
Temps dropped radically and it seems stable,

i pretty much exclusively play elder scrolls online, is the under volt stable because I limited the high end? Can you reccommend anything specific as far as configuration goes? I get lost with all the check boxes as I am pretty new to this

Deleted Ini

Reboot

Untick bd prochot

Tick speed shift epp

Test 120m result 17234 max temp 89 max 52w

Limit reasons red core and ring pop up immediately

Clear high scores

Fivr

Ratio limits 1/2/3/4 capped to 3.5

Tick disable and lock turbo power limits

Test 120m result 17930 max temp 79 max 47.2

No limit reason errors

Tick log file

Cpu core and cpu cache set to -50.8

Test 120m result 17628 max temp 75 max 43.4w

No errors in limit screen

Where can I go from here? @unclewebb
Best results so far actually at 3.4 all turbo ratios, -80 core -70 cache max temp 74 max 39.6w going to go game on this for a bit. (Trying to optimize performance to fan noise)

Attachments

• 6712997C-77DE-4620-93E3-9AA468CB11BE.jpeg
    6712997C-77DE-4620-93E3-9AA468CB11BE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 6A73BEBC-B891-46B0-8B57-9E28720B779E.jpeg
    6A73BEBC-B891-46B0-8B57-9E28720B779E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 98E0D489-0E48-4FD3-A376-40EDCB1F3422.jpeg
    98E0D489-0E48-4FD3-A376-40EDCB1F3422.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 7EAE5AE3-8D2B-4F9C-A77C-3407BC740890.jpeg
    7EAE5AE3-8D2B-4F9C-A77C-3407BC740890.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Where can I go from here?
Where do you want to go? You seem to be getting a good understanding of how ThrottleStop works. You get to decide what works best for you and how much fan noise you are comfortable with.

You have the Speed Step EPP option checked on the main screen but your BIOS is not enabling Speed Shift for you. If you want to use Speed Shift Technology, open the TPL window and check the Speed Shift box. Press Apply and it should show you the recommended default values for Speed Shift Min and Speed Shift Max. On the main screen you can set Speed Shift EPP to 84 if you like your CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded. Set EPP to 0 if you are after full speed all of the time. That is my fav when plugged in.

I would set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. That tells the CPU to ignore this setting.

Definitely upgrade to ThrottleStop 9.5. The download link should be in my signature.

On the main screen, check the Log File box and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Exit ThrottleStop when you are done testing so it can write your log file to the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log file to your next post if you want me to have a look at how your computer is running. Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window so your GPU data is included in the log file. Tracking the CPU and GPU together at the same time makes it easier to spot any problems.

Trevormcooper

Where do you want to go? You seem to be getting a good understanding of how ThrottleStop works. You get to decide what works best for you and how much fan noise you are comfortable with.

You have the Speed Step EPP option checked on the main screen but your BIOS is not enabling Speed Shift for you. If you want to use Speed Shift Technology, open the TPL window and check the Speed Shift box. Press Apply and it should show you the recommended default values for Speed Shift Min and Speed Shift Max. On the main screen you can set Speed Shift EPP to 84 if you like your CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded. Set EPP to 0 if you are after full speed all of the time. That is my fav when plugged in.

I would set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. That tells the CPU to ignore this setting.

Definitely upgrade to ThrottleStop 9.5. The download link should be in my signature.

On the main screen, check the Log File box and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Exit ThrottleStop when you are done testing so it can write your log file to the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log file to your next post if you want me to have a look at how your computer is running. Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window so your GPU data is included in the log file. Tracking the CPU and GPU together at the same time makes it easier to spot any problems.
Ideally I’d like to get 3.8ghz under 85c max I’ll make the recommended changes when I’m near my pc again, I noticed my temps jump after 44w so I’d like to tune in right around 3.6 to 3.8 around that 43w max if possible. But I don’t truly think elder scrolls online needs much more than that

@unclewebb could you give me a broad overview of how the tpl screen works, i enabled speedshift, min 1 max 45, im using the turbo limits in fivr, to stay at 3.5, and you were mentioning the epp 84 for slower under light load and 0 for full speed all the time, im not quite understanding that, attaching a log of 15 mins with 3.5 all cores, epp 0 -80 and -70

Ideally I’d like to get 3.8ghz under 85c max I’ll make the recommended changes when I’m near my pc again, I noticed my temps jump after 44w so I’d like to tune in right around 3.6 to 3.8 around that 43w max if possible. But I don’t truly think elder scrolls online needs much more than that

@unclewebb could you give me a broad overview of how the tpl screen works, i enabled speedshift, min 1 max 45, im using the turbo limits in fivr, to stay at 3.5, and you were mentioning the epp 84 for slower under light load and 0 for full speed all the time, im not quite understanding that, attaching a log of 15 mins with 3.5 all cores, epp 0 -80 and -70
So I set the turbo limits in fivr to defaults, instead changing the speed shift from 45 down to 38, with a -80 and a -70 on core and ring this seems to be the sweet spot. I will still hit 51w max and 91c max but it’s rare that my cpu is at max speed for long while gaming even with a game as cpu heavy as eso. I would love your thoughts on the changes I’ll ul a new log file in the a.m.

Attachments

• 2022-07-03.txt
    390.3 KB · Views: 44

Trevormcooper

@unclewebb Alright, so further tinkering led me to icc max, and cache limits, main screen speedshift epp set to 84 so in tpl i set max speedshift to 3.8 in fivr i set offset cpu to -80 and cpu cache to -75 icc max cpu and cache down from 105 to 99, and cache ratio down from 42 to 38,

after playing for 20 mins my highest temp was 88 and i maxed out at 46.5 watts, and no errors popped up in limits screen, this was probobly the smoothest i have seen the game run in the time iv owned the laptop and because i set the fan curve to quiet office it stayed quiet and cool

few questions, what is c1e on the main screen, how low can i go on icc max if im only using 3.8 out of the 4.5 max on the processor speed, my gpu barely gets warm, so im guessing i could up some of the graphical settings quite a bit with little to no detriment (apart from the cpu intensive options)

i have learned a ton from this forum and you, i would love a deep dive into this most recent testing session. i think iv gotten it nailed down

friendly neighborhood RebelTC (gamertag)

Attachments

• 2022-07-04.txt
    900.8 KB · Views: 52
  • fivr.png
    fivr.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 53
  • mainscreen.png
    mainscreen.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 53
  • options.png
    options.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 52
  • tpl.png
    tpl.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 46

unclewebb

When this C state was first introduced, it made a significant difference to power consumption. Since then, C3, C6 and C7 were invented. If an idle core can spend over 99% of its time in C7, then whether C1E is enabled or not is not going to make any significant difference. Intel says C1E should always be enabled but you will likely notice no difference whether it is enabled or not.

Looks like you figured out how to set Speed Shift EPP. For many modern laptops, you do not need to check this box in ThrottleStop. If you are using the Windows Balanced power plan, it will automatically set EPP to 84. To test this, clear the Speed Shift EPP box in ThrottleStop. On the main screen, use ThrottleStop to switch back and forth between the High Performance and Balanced power plans and watch the FIVR monitoring table to see what Speed Shift EPP value is reported. If Windows is able to manage this, you do not need to use the ThrottleStop Speed Shift EPP feature.

i think iv gotten it nailed down
I think you have too. The best way to learn ThrottleStop is to just take some time and play around with the various settings. It provides users with a lot of control over how their CPU runs and how hot their laptops get.

I prefer to check the MMIO Lock box because Intel CPUs really do not need two separate sets of turbo power limits. The MSR power limits are good enough.

I also recommend setting IccMax to the maximum, 255.75, for both the core and the cache. This helps prevent some types of throttling. If everything is good as is then no need to make any changes.

MiniLogic

Hi, I have this exact same laptop as the OP. I was wondering why the value next to his set multiplier is 25. Mine is valued at 24. I have found myself unable to change this value even after following directions from other posts in this forum. It also appears this feature is blocked for the OP. My main question for both of you is for a battery life oriented profile what would be the best settings. This laptop has a fairly crappy battery size/life.

unclewebb

set multiplier is 25
Most 10th Gen laptops automatically enable Speed Shift Technology (SST) in the BIOS. If you see SST on the main screen of ThrottleStop, the Set Multiplier value is not used to control the CPU. That is why this value is locked out. No point in adjusting something if it does not do anything,.

Battery run time can be improved by eliminating background tasks that do not need to be running all of the time. Watch the C States data that ThrottleStop reports. Get the core C7 percentages as high as possible when your computer is idle. The cores spending 99% of their idle time in core C7 is a good number to shoot for.

1661487667259.png

Just use the Windows Best Battery life setting.