• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway Owners, C51GU01 Motherboard

Xerphon

I have a Gateway GT5032. This model has a Foxconn C51GU01 motherboard, which as any other prebuilt system bios has all options locked out. I read on the internet that this board, the C51GU01 was a 6100K8MA-RS with Gateways options on it. Well, I took the plunge. I used Winflash to flash my C51GU01 with the latest 6100K8MA-RS bios, voila! All options are now unlocked and my system is performing faster with no problems at all... Anyway, don't risk what you can't afford to lose...but I've had nothing but success by doing this. Currently my stock X2 64 4200+ 2.2Ghz chip is running at 2.5Ghz stable, 230FSB with even more agressive memory timings than the Gateway bios had previously allowed. All in all, it's worked out great for me. I hope someone else out there can find this information useful... If anyone is unlucky enough to have bought a pre-built to begin with lol...

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Thanks for that information, I thought it was impossible to unlock Gateway BIOS options :).

ktr

Thanks for that information, I thought it was impossible to unlock Gateway BIOS options :).

yes and no...

Most of the these PC manufactures use almost a 1 to 1 replica of a board you can buy off the shelves...therefore you can sometimes force a bios of the store bought on these...

But word of warning is that some times the do have a little specialty on the PC manufactures boards...

Such as HP as a special bios chip to hold Tattoo information (for the security for the recovery cds) and to hold the software for recovery...

Xerphon

yes and no...

Most of the these PC manufactures use almost a 1 to 1 replica of a board you can buy off the shelves...therefore you can sometimes force a bios of the store bought on these...

But word of warning is that some times the do have a little specialty on the PC manufactures boards...

Such as HP as a special bios chip to hold Tattoo information (for the security for the recovery cds) and to hold the software for recovery...

Yeah, Like I said I'm just stating it for this particular board and bios. The information may be invalid for any other combination out there. It's also not 100% definite this will work for you, but it has for me, and I haven't done anything special.

Squiffy

Don't Do This!!!

Well, I downloaded the bios update from Foxconn, got a copy of WinFlash, ran it and now my motherboard is deader than heck. :cry: I think I got punked! All it does is beep like its in pain or something. Anyone out there with a dead C51GU01 mb that would like to send me the CMOS chip? TIA! :respect:

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
You can try 'hot-flashing' the cmos chip on another working PC.

As long as the bios chip is the same size i'm pretty sure it can be done.

Squiffy

Hot Flash

You can try 'hot-flashing' the cmos chip on another working PC.

As long as the bios chip is the same size i'm pretty sure it can be done.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had never heard of that technique before so I had to Google it. Here is an article for anyone else not familiar with it.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=62&pgno=0
Now all I have to do is con my buddy into letting me use his computer to try it! ;)

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Yep, just be careful with the screwdriver when you're prising his bios chip out! :rolleyes:

Xerphon

Well, I downloaded the bios update from Foxconn, got a copy of WinFlash, ran it and now my motherboard is deader than heck. :cry: I think I got punked! All it does is beep like its in pain or something. Anyone out there with a dead C51GU01 mb that would like to send me the CMOS chip? TIA! :respect:

That sucks, I'm very sorry to hear that. What model computer do you have?

Xerphon

Are you referring to me AthlonX2? I certainly hope not.

Xerphon

I'm going to assume you are referring to me since this thread was started by me. Anyway, what have I stolen to be called a theif? Also, what exactly have I done here?

I would not have thought about flashing my motherboard with that BIOS had I not read your thread stating that there was a hacked BIOS out there for this motherboard. I asked you if you had the file, you didn't. I asked the person you referred me to, he said he had about 10 different files for it and wasn't sure what worked and what didn't. I went ahead and read around online that this particular motherboard is a revision of the 6100K8MA-RS motherboard. I took the next logical step, I went ahead and flashed it with that BIOS.

Luckily, I had success with the flash. I took that information and posted it here for others who were having the same problem as me. I also told people not to risk doing it if they couldn't afford to have something go wrong, I just said that it worked for me and I could not assure anyone it would work for them.

Now you're coming here calling me a thief and making it sound like I've done something wrong? I personally don't appreciate that at all. I never said I made this motherboard, or BIOS files, or anything. All I did was share my results with a community that is here for this very purpose. Once again, I really hope I'm wrong and I hope you're not referring to me with your post.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
wtf Athlon... I don't know what to say to you at this moment, but it wouldn't be nice. That was completely uncalled for abuse, and to make it worse, it was directed at a new member who came here to help others.

Don't listen Xerphon, you've done nothing wrong. And Squiffy will get his computer back up and running when he re-flashes the original bios.

Xerphon

wtf Athlon... I don't know what to say to you at this moment, but it wouldn't be nice. That was completely uncalled for abuse, and to make it worse, it was directed at a new member who came here to help others.

Don't listen Xerphon, you've done nothing wrong. And Squiffy will get his computer back up and running when he re-flashes the original bios.

Thanks Infared, I'm just kind of lost. I don't know where this is coming from at all, or even why.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

Xerphon

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=16708&highlight=C51GU01

maybe this is why he said what he did....um check the date!

Sept. of 06, I still don't see your point. All I did was share my results, look a few threads up... I said that thread was the reason I started looking for a way to do this in the first place, and I even contacted AthlonX2 and Namlas about it. Neither of them was able to supply me with the 'hacked' bios file. I did some more reading online and found out the motherboard was a revision of another and I used that bios to unlock my computer. It worked, and I posted exactly that. So to be called a thief and be told I've done something wrong... Why? What exactly have I done wrong?

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

Squiffy

Hey, I Prolly Did Something Wrong

I think I might have indirectly implied that Xerphon intentionally posted something so people would blow up their computers. My apologies. I have received enough feedback to know that there are actually several alternate bios flashes that I might try. I never used WinFlash before and probably did something wrong. My system is the same as Xerphon's, a Gateway GT5032. I am going to try that hot flash thing and I am sure my system will be up and running this weekend. Hey, I'm a big boy. I knew it was risky but what the heck! No guts, no glory! :toast:

Xerphon

I think I might have indirectly implied that Xerphon intentionally posted something so people would blow up their computers. My apologies. I have received enough feedback to know that there are actually several alternate bios flashes that I might try. I never used WinFlash before and probably did something wrong. My system is the same as Xerphon's, a Gateway GT5032. I am going to try that hot flash thing and I am sure my system will be up and running this weekend. Hey, I'm a big boy. I knew it was risky but what the heck! No guts, no glory! :toast:

Hmm... If you have the same model number the motherboard should be the same. Exactly the same. The only thing I can think of, I updated my bios with gateway's bios update right after I bought my computer, it was the fix for Cool' N Quiet I think... If you didn't have the same BIOS software I had maybe that could have been the problem, I don't see how though since it's the same BIOS, just a bit more recent than what it shipped with. Anyway, have you tried clearing the CMOS jumper after you flashed? It's an option in Winflash, maybe you didn't have it selcted when flashing?

Namslas90

It is quite possable that two of the same Gateway model computers do not have the same BIOS or even the same components. Between the three GT5056's I know of here on TPU they each had a diff BIOS version and Diff memory, and diff PCI cards installed from the factory. Most likley the error happened while using WinFlash, as its easy to do.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
AthlonX2 is crazy like that, one minute he's a great person, the next, a 12 year old brat.

Xerphon

I didn't even know there were different variations of the same models. But, regardless of components, the motherboard would still be the same, no? If it's based off the 6100K8MA-RS, which it HAS to be since it worked for me, wouldn't that default bios work? I don't know, just seems a bit wierd, but I'm pretty sure there was an error made with Winflash which as you said is easy to do...

Namslas90

I didn't even know there were different variations of the same models. But, regardless of components, the motherboard would still be the same, no? If it's based off the 6100K8MA-RS, which it HAS to be since it worked for me, wouldn't that default bios work? I don't know, just seems a bit wierd, but I'm pretty sure there was an error made with Winflash which as you said is easy to do...

Should always check to make sure the mobo is the same before flashing BIOS, But, yes the memory could be different as well as the CPU etc. Of course none of that realy matters much as far as the BIOS is concerned, Unless you got a single core CPU verses a Double core CPU. And then you could probably just change that in BIOS options (enable/disable Duel core support).
Yes, most likley an error with using WinFlash.

Squiffy

So which bios to try?

I am hearing that there are several possible bios files to choose from. Any recommendations on which one to try first? The only one I have a download for so far is the Foxconn one that Xerphon had success with. Maybe I will try it again with the hot flash technique. Also, any idea how I might have screwed up the flash? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!