1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gears of War 4 Game Trial

Discussion in 'Games' started by fullinfusion, Jun 9, 2017.

1. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Xbox One and Windows 10 gamers who haven’t jumped in to the Gears of War 4 experience yet. Beginning on June 9th and running until June 15th, we’re offering a limited time trial version of Gears of War 4 to download for free!

During this weekend, download the Game Trial to get 10 hours of free access to Gears of War 4 - including the full Versus and Horde experiences. Don't have time to play this weekend? Make sure to still download the Game Trial, as your 10 free hours are valid beyond the download weekend! Here's a taste on what's on offer for the trial:

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/gears-4-trial

2. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    just a Quick 102Gb Download ......:roll: thats F@cking laughable .. not even if they paid me to play it

thnx for the heads up tho.

AlienIsGOD and fullinfusion say thanks.
  3. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Nice 117GB demo. They beat Dishonored 2 by 200%.
    What's gonna be the next game I'll never try?

jboydgolfer says thanks.
  4. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    The sad part is I would've like to have tried it.The first one was great I used to play it with the kids when they were really young and they loved it too. This one may be good as well but I just can't justify spending that kind of time downloading a trial. And that's at 10 MB a second aka 80+ Mb/s. No just not worth it.

fullinfusion says thanks.
  5. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    It's visuals are amazing and if you have the hardware to play 4K go for it.

If you download it, its yours if you decide to buy and the price is around $30 beans right now.

I get the new map packs every month and today was a 25gb update but after it installed I was amazed it didn't rape my SSD on space like all the previous updates.

stinger608, manofthem and jboydgolfer say thanks.
  6. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    They changed the update system for this game, so it now uses space more efficiently. Guess the too many complaints (well, they are not baseless) did their thing.

fullinfusion and jboydgolfer say thanks.
  7. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    That would take me a good 24 hours to download.

jboydgolfer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    it would be great since its only a 10 hour play trial, that we only had to DL (i dotn know) 50% or so of the game, (but even that would be a Whopping 60Gb's) i have fast enough internet, but it would take me a few hours, and thats just too much DL for a trial that will be Deleted in a few days....i still would have loved to try the game out. :shadedshu:

maybe if instead of a 10 hour trial, it was a 25% trial, i dont know.....something a little less Titanic i suppose. ..... just think of people with 2Mb internet..o_O

9. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Thanks @fullinfusion for the tip. I'm going to DL'ing now and going to give it a whirl, if I can find a few minutes to spare.

I am very much looking forward to a Gears experience on my pc, but I think this game will work over my 290 :(

I never finished Gears 3 so I hope I'm not lost... :ohwell:

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I should be able to play it by Tuesday....Wait!

11. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    You should be fine, just keep the settings "reasonable " ;)

[​IMG]

stinger608 and manofthem say thanks.
  12. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Will do ;) I could DL it on the wife's rig with the 980 and play at 1080p but what's the point :laugh:

I think the takeaway is that my main rig needs a gpu upgrade!

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, requires W10 Creator's Update to play. Yeah right, tried that, screwed up a lot of my fonts, and despite the claim that MS issued an update to fix it, could not find any such update via Windows Update, nor did attempting to manually install it help.

There's been a lot of instances that caused me to consider rolling back to W7, but none more so than Creator's Update. If you ask me MS are fucking up as much as Intel lately.

14. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Did you notice on this latest update (creators update) that the back ground processors almost doubled? Now I know why they put in a gaming mode, its crazy!

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the bloat was the last straw for me. I read some feedback from gamers indicating their games ran worse. I don't know if that was with or without "Game" mode, but I really don't care.

When they force people to install bloated snoop riddled media crap just to run their latest games, they can take a flying leap off the tallest building as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly all they were interested with W10 was prying into people's personal lives to make extra money on data mining software.

16. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Going to give this one a shot! Thanks @fullinfusion !

Might not be too bad as I'm getting between 11.5mbs to 15mbs. Still going to take a couple hours to download. :p

After looking again, I'm now downloading at about 40mbs!

fullinfusion says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Or, clearly, your claims of "prying" are without real basis. You should know that with CU on systems with at least 8GB RAM they stopped showing everything under the Service Host Process aka svchost.exe, but gave each service it's own process. It was previously done so to save resources, you can see the same behaviour on W8.1, for example.
    Ah, and the game mode don't run in games by default, you have to turn it for each game when you are running it.

18. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    My Machine with W10 on it has 12GB of RAM and from Anniversary Edition to Creators Edition the amount of Processors jumped from around 70 to 120 in the back ground and this is on a clean install of Creators. I also have a W8.1 Laptop here fresh install and its running around 70-80 Processors.

Game mode for me was on be default I didnt have to turn it on at all.

19. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    You didn't understand:
    1. Starting with Creators Update the service number "rose" purely by the fact that that now everything is NOT running under Service Host. What your computer actually runs has not changed. Don't be fooled by the number of running processes.
    2. Game mode as in Settings menu or in-game? Because while you can do Win+G in every game, it does not mean that the optimisation is running, unless you turn it on for that game, via menu that you open with Win+G. Otherwise all that Game mode does is offer you that menu.

Melvis says thanks.
  20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Your ASSumption I thought Game mode was automatic makes everything else you said sound like drivel. I mean really, get over yourself. If you want to be MS' sycophant, fine, but don't drag me into it. :rolleyes:

21. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    You have "some indication" which you haven't tested yourself, you "don't really care" and you are talking about some bloat without basis. Yes, I can make a guess at what you thought.
    Also, you can just switch to Linux or Mac and stop whining. Only thing missing was M$...

22. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    yes, it seems people see the process count jump , and assume it means more are now running, but as explained earlier in this thread (iirc) and in the update release info, it isnt the process's that are more now, it is the way processes are handled by windows now. in a standalone form, they show as more, instead of many system processes being hosted under SVChost etc.

A simple example to understand this is;

If you were in front of a table and there were 50 marbles poured out on the table as well as a container full of 50 more marbles and someone told you "count everything on the table right now", you would count 50 marbles plus one container which equals 51.

But then if you were to take that container and pour out the other 50 marbles and remove the container entirely ,and someone again said "count everything on the table ". You would get 100 marbles. the only difference is you're actually counting what's inside the container ,as where before you were counting it as one whole single item, the overall quantity of marbles hasn't changed a bit , it's just how you are seeing them thats changed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM