• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 970 Design Flaw Caps Video Memory Usage to 3.3 GB: Report

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Well, driver mistakes can be fixed. Broken hardware feature, not so much.

AMD had to redesign crossfire implementation after Tahiti as it was dysfunctional. PR for CF would have showed a misrepresentation of frame rates, implying smooth visual experience, which was far from the truth. So yeah, AMD have had very similar problems. But they fixed it with XDMA implementation in Hawaii, for DX10 forwards.
HOWEVER, I would have bought a 4Gb card expecting it to be able to handle memory usage up to 4Gb. If my fps tanked well before that I'd be pissed.
Nvidia have grossly misrepresented the cards memory capacity. It should have stated in the PR it had 3.5Gb effective gaming memory, or something similar.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Nvidia have grossly misrepresented the cards memory capacity. It should have stated in the PR it had 3.5Gb effective gaming memory, or something similar.

Full 4 GB can be used and are being used. The issue is if and only if you use last 512 MB, you get lower memory bandwidth which luckily translates to only 1 to 3 % frame rate loss.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So it's ok to you then is it, lieing and withholding info because what many are not saying is this,

NVIDIA KNEW and still said nothing all along (that's false advertising. ........), and then took a while to fesss up.

Unscrupulous bs , yall should not be backing up this kind of company practice fanboi or not.

Full 4 GB can be used and are being used. The issue is if and only if you use last 512 MB, you get lower memory bandwidth which luckily translates to only 1 to 3 % frame rate loss.
the issue is that from 400 GB/s you get an enormous drop down to 25 GB/s.
Now, how does that affect the game, it is based upon what's the importance of the data being stored there. If you have the most frequent used data there, then you could have up to 20 times less performance.
If you never use that data then you have 0 times less performance.
The 3% is totally unrealistic, it happens on 3 games, without taking into consideration, what's being loaded before the game starts.
On a normal user there are a lot of things loaded beforehand into the vram, e.g. streaming applications,multi-monitor setup, browsers e.t.c. that most likely are using valuable fast nvidia vram.

In the end, it's not how much the end user is affected(which in most of the cases the average fps rate does not show the real thing... stuttering) but what the were tricked into buying.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In the end, it's not how much the end user is affected(which in most of the cases the average fps rate does not show the real thing... stuttering) but what the were tricked into buying.

They had to handle asymmetric memory configuration somehow, and this is IMHO the best way to handle it. You certainly would be worse off had they made 3.5 GB card, because in that case once vram is full, moving textures from system ram over pcie would be considerably worse stuttering wise. It's entirely possible you'd fell less tricked though.

So it's ok to you then is it, lieing and withholding info because what many are not saying is this,

NVIDIA KNEW and still said nothing all along (that's false advertising. ........), and then took a while to fesss up.

Unscrupulous bs , yall should not be backing up this kind of company practice fanboi or not.
There are people that after that scum, they are going to buy the 980, instead of ditching the nVidia at all.

AMD had to redesign crossfire implementation after Tahiti as it was dysfunctional. PR for CF would have showed a misrepresentation of frame rates, implying smooth visual experience, which was far from the truth. So yeah, AMD have had very similar problems. But they fixed it with XDMA implementation in Hawaii, for DX10 forwards.
HOWEVER, I would have bought a 4Gb card expecting it to be able to handle memory usage up to 4Gb. If my fps tanked well before that I'd be pissed.
by "very similar problems" you mean:
blowing up cards?
mis-rendering scenes to boost frame rates?
introducing filters to cripple other's gpus?
refusing to support important h/w on different OSes?
supporting games to boost optimizations on your platform?
"paying" OEM to sell only your h/w and trash-talk other vendors?
I guess CF frame issues is similar even to 295 and 590 not being able to make it through several months of use.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
TweakGuides tested FarCry 4:

The GTX 970 is a very popular GPU, so recent claims from some users that it is effectively limited to 3.5GB of its VRAM, and starts to suffer when using all 4GB, have caused a lot of concern. Nvidia's official response confirms that there is a segmentation of the 970's VRAM between a 3.5GB section and a 512MB section, but that this has no performance impact.

I decided to test this out for myself. Running Far Cry 4 at settings just high enough to use around 4GB of VRAM (3,840x2,400 via DSR plus all other settings to maximum, except SMAA) resulted in expectedly lower framerates, but no significant stuttering or hitching as demonstrated in this YouTube Video. See this Screenshot from the video to confirm that 4GB is being used - zoom in on the top left, second entry on the second line of the Afterburner overlay.

Unfortunately some people have been "testing" this issue by using system-crippling settings, such as 4K resolution combined with 8x MSAA, and blaming the inevitable 5FPS slideshow on the VRAM. Quite aside from the fact that no current single GPU performs well at those settings, remember that slow or insufficient VRAM manifests itself as severe hitching (longer pauses) and stuttering (frequent brief hiccups), not an overall reduction in FPS. I did notice in my testing however that the GTX 970 definitely prefers using only 3.5GB of its VRAM in most cases; in the VRAM-hungry Watch Dogs for example, as settings were raised the 970 remained stuck at ~3.5GB VRAM usage right up until 8x MSAA was engaged at 4K resolution. After several hours of testing though my conclusion is that there's no discernible practical impact from this issue: the GTX 970 performs smoothly, whether using 3.5 or 4GB of VRAM. If you're experiencing stuttering or low framerates on a 970, in my opinion it is quite likely due to a general system issue or excessive GPU load, not VRAM segmentation.

http://www.tweakguides.com/

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Well one game tested equates to thorough yeah.

Right hold up people fluffmiester has 1 rebuter doing 1 game test here so all that other stuffs been gerzumped it's all ok again.

Really dude wtf

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Well one game tested equates to thorough yeah.

Right hold up people fluffmiester has 1 rebuter doing 1 game test here so all that other stuffs been gerzumped it's all ok again.

Really dude wtf

This place is so childish these days, sorry I posted that link, sorry he didn't test more games, sorry I don't exprience problems either, sorry all the reviews never showed anything negative about this in the first place, sorry sorry sorry so very sorry.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
This place is so childish these days, sorry I posted that link, sorry he didn't test more games, sorry I don't exprience problems either, sorry all the reviews never showed anything negative about this in the first place, sorry sorry sorry so very sorry.

Ignore him, he's always been very pro AMD, and very harsh towards NV.

We need more testing to show it's a non issue. W1zzard could do it but then he'd be seen as pro NV by the AMD fan base. In fact, anyone refuting it will be a conspirator.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Well, nVidia has admitted that much so it's not a no-issue but it's certainly going to be blown out. The mystery here is if the second memory partition actually hurts performance. Many people are just running games at insane DSR levels and then bitch about the (expected) fps drop due to overloading the ROPs but I think I saw a couple that have a compelling case, one being a guy that just loaded a HD texture pack to get over 3.5GB (and thus not pushing the pixel fillrate) and his fps thanked to 10fps (his words,he didn't upload a video or something) and then we have the video Rahmat Sofyan linked to although in that case I would say that his 512MB partition has bad RAM instead (artifacts) so SOME 970s could present problems with this configuration that nVidia didn't foresee.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Well TBH I am surprised at Nvidia's response to the "issue", but as many said there are not a lot of people that will hit that > 3.5GB limit especially on 1080p games.

I see some fanboy's are trying to start an AMD VS Nvdia war. Well use which ever card works for you and dont hate the other products people, if one or the other would not be equally as good people would not buy them.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870_CrossFire/27.html

Up to 68% scaling efficiency.

I think it was more to do with the VLIW and how fast the drivers needed a CPU to be to make it efficient.

TweakGuides tested FarCry 4:

http://www.tweakguides.com/

Their reply is load of nonsense. Like they are 8 and they just got their first graphic card, not knowing how graphic cards even work. If no one has noticed, difference between GTX 970 and GTX 980 isn't all that big. But they are saying like 970 gets so hindered by performance that's the cause of it. And yet, GTX 980 doesn't get such massive performance drop. Now why is that?

And whoever says that remaining memory doesn't affect anything, if GPU has to wait for data to be fetched from the shitty part, what good is it the 400GB/s part? That's like pairing a RAID0 of fastest SSD's and run everything on a 486 CPU with 32MB of RAM. It makes zero sense.

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
I think people are too easy to jump on this bandwagon, evidence or none, and start bashing or spouting shit lol

IF this was as big of a problem as its being made out, WHY has it taken until now for everyone to start going crazy about it?

Either it isnt as big of an issue as it appears OR its just a few cards.... I'm gonna go with that its probably not even an issue for 99% of people... the others that're crying so loud just need attention and probably dont even own a 970 lol

I own a 970 and I'm not butthurt. Why? Its still as quick as the 780Ti, costs a bit less (fair amounts, actually) and has an extra .5GB of "real" (cough cough) VRAM, even if you dont included the (reputedly) slower ½GB that remains.

Though, what I do see with this is some shady (read: clever) PR and marketing ... technically, they arent lying in any way by saying this is a 4GB card, even if the latter 0.5GB of that is disastrously slow.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Ignore him, he's always been very pro AMD, and very harsh towards NV.
Same for fluff since hes extremely pro NVidia and does the same things except for the opposite side... So its the pot calling the kettle black...

The problem was not the CFX implementation it was the cable and connector itself that were limited. It just was hitting/getting near the limit of being effective which was expected to happen eventually and AMD had either to design a newer version that could keep up with the new demands or do a totally different implementation method (IE using the PCIE to transfer the data). Same will happen to SLI eventually and NVidia will have to make the same decision, it was always known the CFX cable was not as good as the SLI cable so it just happened to become obsolete first.

This could have been avoided in a much better way, should just have auto limited the card to 3.5gb and said that its a 3.5gb card as using the slower ram seems to be a bigger problem than just not using it though we need more testing to see which idea is correct. This issue is something that should not be and can be avoided in ways a lot better than what has been done because now this sounds like there was something being sneaked by people which tends to annoy people. Does not even matter how many people this will effect right now, its the long run that is more worrisome than anything as games get higher and higher in graphical fidelity and now there are less ways for this to be dealt with effectively.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Oh oh... Friday I ordered a ASUS GTX 970 Strix..... Damn always unlucky......

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Their reply is load of nonsense. Like they are 8 and they just got their first graphic card, not knowing how graphic cards even work. If no one has noticed, difference between GTX 970 and GTX 980 isn't all that big. But they are saying like 970 gets so hindered by performance that's the cause of it. And yet, GTX 980 doesn't get such massive performance drop. Now why is that?

And whoever says that remaining memory doesn't affect anything, if GPU has to wait for data to be fetched from the shitty part, what good is it the 400GB/s part? That's like pairing a RAID0 of fastest SSD's and run everything on a 486 CPU with 32MB of RAM. It makes zero sense.

What he says is perfectly valid, but you're of course welcome to disagree with him. I didn't write it after all.

What are these massive drops I'm supposed to be seeing?

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
Wait till tomorrow, let we hope good news from nvidia...
The big problem, if this "3.5GB and 0.5GB partition system" was a new technology or something new from nvidia, why they didn't told to us before...

And it's been 4 months... and found by end user, really odd.

Still GTX970 the best price/performance card from nvidia, but for 1080p, I believed that was not the first reason if you buy a 4GB card... and hei GTX960 already for 1080p..

Go Green!!!

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
See the Youtube recording of a user here. Page 3 or 4 I think. It's down to like 25fps in Far Cry 4.

A user on YouTube, well i might as well copy and paste theoneandonlymrk's childish post, he sounded like he is 8 too, but you didn't call him out on it:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...e-to-3-3-gb-report.209205/page-5#post-3227622

I was playing Shadow of Mordor and cranked it as high as i could, and had soo much fun killing Orcs I forgot I was supposed to be having a terrible experience!

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w