• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce value over time and 40-series pricing.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The node Nvidia is using is essentially 5nm+, same as how TSMC's 6nm is just 7nm+. If it does cost more, it's likely a very small amount. Otherwise it's not really worth it. Akin to TSMC 6nm, the density increase is extremely small with the upside that it's compatible with 7nm. In essence Nvidia could have taped out for 5nm and the design would have been compatible with TSMC's 4nm.

Here's TSMC's page for the 5nm which references 4nm: https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/logic/l_5nm

4nm doesn't have it's own section due to the reasons stated above and on TSMC's website.

Yes, the 5nm price estimate were in the $16,000 - $17,000 range. Current estimates at over 2 1/2 years later place that at around $10,000.

As you pointed out, even under the most generous circumstances it's hard to explain the price of the 4080.
The price of the 4080 has nothing to do with all that, imo. I think the price comes only from the fact that a huge amount of 30-series stock is still in stores due to the mining crash, which Nvidia didn't expect. If they sell the 4080 any cheaper than they currently are, it'll only be a guarantee that 30-series stock will never move. Any further 40-series card released will only cut into profits coming from 30-series cards.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The price of the 4080 has nothing to do with all that, imo. I think the price comes only from the fact that a huge amount of 30-series stock is still in stores due to the mining crash, which Nvidia didn't expect. If they sell the 4080 any cheaper than they currently are, it'll only be a guarantee that 30-series stock will never move. Any further 40-series card released will only cut into profits coming from 30-series cards.
Here's the thing, at this point nothing cuts into Nvidia's profits from the 30-series. Those contracts have long been signed and most of the GPUs have shipped long ago. Nvidia may be helping AIBs to move their inventory, but that would be just a gesture of good-will trying to stay on their good side.
Ada GPUs are still big and using wide memory interfaces. Historically speaking, that never resulted in cheap video cards. So my hunch is 40-series would be expensive if if 30-series inventory wouldn't be in the picture. Which is kinda sad because I'm still not spending $500+ on a video card. Period.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Well, if you must insist...

"Unlike the fully unlocked GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, which uses the same GPU but has all 10752 shaders enabled, NVIDIA has disabled some shading units on the CMP 90HX to reach the product's target shader count."
Disabled shaders - you don't do that with working dies.

Many Nvidia's GPUs have some shaders disabled. 3070, 3080, and 3090 for example. Saying you don't disable shaders on working dies is just plain wrong.

The mining GPU you linked does indeed have a lot of shaders disabled but then again if you look at the CMP 70HX, which uses the same die as the 3070, it actually has more shaders enabled then the 3070.

Furthermore: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?mfgr=NVIDIA&generation=Mining GPUs&sort=name
Mining-oriented SKUs dating back to Pascal. Thus, not something concocted during the past mining craze years.

Want a more direct confirmation CMP did not choke GPU supplies? Here: $24m revenue when a card sells for $8k means a grand total of 3,000 units sold.

The linked tweet you posted was for $550 million for the year. $24m was the stated quarterly number, which knowing basic match means that compared to the other 3 quarters of the year is a massive drop and not-representative of the whole.

Mind you there was no reason for you to cherry pick the $24m number to begin with, it's a drop in the bucket compared to their total revenue. Given what I've seen it's unlikely that cypto specific cards had a significant impact on cards.

Given that this was a point you were making I'm just happy you were able to support the claim. That said for future reference twitter is not a valid source. I validated the numbers through other sources.

If I were a miner with $$$ to burn, the most straightforward way for me to get my hands on video cards would be from an AIB partner. Your theory where Nvidia somehow forces not one, but all partners to sell to miners to which Nvidia itself has no direct relation is... shall we say, way more far fetched and therefore way more improbable.

It's far fetched because I never said it. You are making a strawman argument. I stated that Nvidia had a lot of control over it's AIB partners but never once did I say they forced them to sell to miniers.

As for my other claims you'll what? Those earlier posts were from over a week ago with data and sources present. You've had plenty of time to dispute them beyond 1-line quips.

Last edited: