• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General Cryptocoin Discussion

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
be real chaps as the US printing machines go brrrrr the value of each dollar created becomes less... this is a fact with no way around it..

the whole idea of bitcoin is to step outside of this goveremnt and banking created chaos.. become your own bank and take control of your own money..

will it work.. maybe.. maybe not.. :)

trog

Lol the illusion that crypto is at all outside of government reach has been dead for years. It's even more obvious now that the FBI proved it can recover it from an international hacking groups wallets.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
outside of government

Have to kinda agree with you there. We get Taxed on it now so that means they have their finger in the pie.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Lol the illusion that crypto is at all outside of government reach has been dead for years. It's even more obvious now that the FBI proved it can recover it from an international hacking groups wallets.

maybe.. he he

trog

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'm still skeptical that even happened. The idea that they left it in a coinbase managed wallet on US soil stinks to high heavens.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I think we're needlessly tripping over the phrase "in general." Crypto is good for freedom of any sort, is what I mean. It has some specific uses that aid in creating a more free society, sure. But it's also just good for freedom as an idea. For some of us, freedom is not a means, but an end. I also think we don't agree on the meaning of freedom in the first place, so here. Read this.
Call me what you will, but I still fail to see how all of this has any connection to cryptocurrencies.

I don't know about GBP, but the US is literally printing money constantly, every second of every day. And GBP's value is as inextricably tied to the USD as our countries' economies are, so I can't imagine that bodes well for you either.
As for crypto, a regular joe can learn about how crypto works. Once he has educated himself, and understands the algorithms involved, he will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that BTC is finite. If Joe doesn't want to educate himself, then he'll just have to take my word for it that it's mathematically impossible to create more BTC than the maximum. (Note, this does not apply to ALL cryptocurrencies. Some are infinitely mintable.)
Or, joe can refuse to either educate himself or take my word for it, and just live his life in a state of being wrong. Doesn't hurt me.
I'm not planning on getting into crypto, so I guess I'll take your word for it for now. :)

As for the last part about cars, and you buying all of them up... Yep. Now you've got the picture! :)
That's great, but doesn't that work against the idea of freedom? I mean, if I maintain a fleet of 10,000 cars to make money while you have to walk an hour to work every day, I guess you can see it as freedom to use your legs, but I only see a system just as unfair and exploitative as the one we currently live in (or maybe even more so).

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I've noticed that 3080s sold prices continue to drop on Ebay for the most part. A couple of you guys mentioned that Ethereum Proof of Work is coming to an end. Does that mean miners will stop mining Ethereum? I'm trying to understand the price drops for 3080s.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I've noticed that 3080s sold prices continue to drop on Ebay for the most part. A couple of you guys mentioned that Ethereum Proof of Work is coming to an end. Does that mean miners will stop mining Ethereum? I'm trying to understand the price drops for 3080s.
I'm not sure what that change will bring, but the market as a whole has tanked. Probably less people buying hardware.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Once it goes through the merge, ETH mining will be done. Now, some other coins like RVN, Conflux, ERGO and anything on Cryptonight is ASIC resistant, ETC is not. So the ASIC's will go to ETC mining while GPU mining hashrates will diverge to altcoins.

The actual major threat I see is Nicehash alone. Nicehash accounts for a massive amount of the hash power for ETH. Now for most people, they do not control (more or less) which coin they are renting their hardware out for. So it is all that hashrates jumping all to a single coin that may be a problem. Unless the team comes up with something that auto diversifies but I doubt that heavily (judging by how they operate).

Other than that, no one really knows for certain.

Going from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake changes everything. GPU mining will have little to no return yield. Anything else based on GPU/GPGPU mining will quickly follow suit and GPU's as mining devices will become an absurd notion.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Going from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake changes everything. GPU mining will have little to no return yield. Anything else based on GPU/GPGPU mining will quickly follow suit and GPU's as mining devices will become an absurd notion.
I hope all currencies will follow, and what you just said will be a general notion applicable not only to Ethereum.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I hope all currencies will follow, and what you just said will be a general notion applicable not only to Ethereum.
wishful thinking.

GPU mining isn't going to go anywhere. New coins pop up and get backed by PoW which gains popularity through the same group. Then what follows suite are investors. Conflux network for instance is specifically PoW. Same with Cryptonight.

Most altcoins are not even mineable. Most are POS in some form or another. A lot are also scams too. Their value doesn't actually correlate by that either.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Oh yes it is. It will go the way of the dodo very soon. Environment concerns alone will force the conversion.
sorry, it wont. If you wish to make a bet on that.

The environmental part was already debunked too. So it doesn't really matter. We have gone over it to death how the state and its Fiat printing uses far more energy than Crypto.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
It's already begun.

Sure, free money is always good.

And if you really believe THAT, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn, New York I'd like to sell you...
it hasn't. Sorry

And I already posted a link. Have a read. https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/21/the-debate-about-cryptocurrency-and-energy-consumption/

I know you dont like bitcoin. It is best not to divulge into something that you hate so much and refuse to acknowledge that it wont go anywhere. I think this conversation is over.

Edit: Now that is over with, here is some interesting news breakdown for folks:

Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I quickly skimmed through this article. It seems like it's only talking about electricity usage. What about GPU manufacturing and e-waste?
what about e-waste?

GPU manufacturing is an e-waste itself then. e-waste is found nearly everywhere. Why not blame Apple then? Or Samsung? This is an endless debate. Nor is it a debate that matters.

Software Windows 10 Pro
what about e-waste?

GPU manufacturing is an e-waste itself then. e-waste is found nearly everywhere. Why not blame Apple then? Or Samsung? This is an endless debate.
E-waste on consumer level is always going to be a lot smaller than with mining. A home user doesn't need a hundred GPUs to play games, only one - and even that one doesn't necessarily need to be of the latest generation. Same with phones: you need only one, and when you're done with it, there's a huge used market that's happy to take care of it for you.

Not to mention the fact that you don't push your hardware to the edge of death by playing games a couple hours a day, as opposed to mining 24/7.

it hasn't. Sorry
Ok, keep telling yourself that.
That article, and it's conclusions, are flawed beyond reason. What a terrible citation. Let's presume one point is correct(which it isn't): Mining puts a .6% additional load on the power infrastructure of the world. That's .6% ADDITIONAL load on an already over-stressed power system. That's a extra load which would otherwise not exist if mining wasn't a thing.

GPU/GPGPU based mining is going bye bye whether you like it or not, or want to admit it or not.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
E-waste on consumer level is always going to be a lot smaller than with mining. A home user doesn't need a hundred GPUs to play games, only one - and even that one doesn't necessarily need to be of the latest generation. Same with phones: you need only one, and when you're done with it, there's a huge used market that's happy to take care of it for you.
Nope

A home user doesn't have 100 GPU's. The people like Bitsbetrippin, Redpanda miner, Vostcoin, etc are very small. These guys have teams and facilities. Average person does not.

Article stipulates consumer grade stuff like fridges, dishwashers, etc are the problem now.

So, how many people go through a phone per year? How many people have phones? I guarantee you more than they have of GPU's.

Ok, keep telling yourself that.

That article, and it's conclusions, are flawed beyond reason. What a terrible citation. Let's presume one point is correct(which it isn't): Mining puts a .6% additional load on the power infrastructure of the world. That's .6% ADDITIONAL load on an already over-stressed power system that would otherwise not exist if mining wasn't a thing.

GPU/GPGPU based mining is going bye bye whether you like it or not, or want to admit it or not.

Sure it is. Whatever you say. But I tend to trust those who actually have stake in this business than people who just have a hate for it. And those say otherwise, and they keep a very strong eye on what is happening.

Here, you hate that article, have another where they also say its overblown:

But you will just hate that article and the next and the next and so on so forth. Pointless.

Maybe crypto mining may die for those with expensive electricity. For those of us with cheap electricity, no. And now I am getting $5K from government in Solar panels so I will pay even less for energy.

Last edited:
Here, you hate that article, have another where they also say its overblown:

But you will just hate that article and the next and the next and so on so forth. Pointless.
You keep using the word "hate". It's sounds childish and is inappropriate. Just because I don't like/agree/support something doesn't mean "hate" is involved. Continuing on...

That article was interesting. It's opening line is very telling;
Summary.
Today, Bitcoin consumes as much energy as a small country.
Power that would otherwise not be used if mining didn't exist and was not being used just 5 years ago..

The rest of that article seems to be an attempt at justification and a shallow one at that.

Pointless.
You were saying?

Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope

A home user doesn't have 100 GPU's. The people like Bitsbetrippin, Redpanda miner, Vostcoin, etc are very small. These guys have teams and facilities. Average person does not.

Article stipulates consumer grade stuff like fridges, dishwashers, etc are the problem now.

So, how many people go through a phone per year? How many people have phones? I guarantee you more than they have of GPU's.
That article talks about how huge consumer level e-waste already is. Nowhere does it mention anything about mining, so it doesn't serve as a comparison.

Of course individual miners are very small when you compare them to the whole market. But the fact that they have teams and facilities make them a whole lot bigger than individuals only wanting to play games after a hard day's work.

Waste of consumer grade stuff is a problem, that's ok. We haven't seen how big of a problem the current crypto mining boom is going to be as it only started with the current generation of graphics cards. We'll see what happens when the GeForce 40 series comes out. I guarantee that the used market will be flooded with barely working 30 series cards, and a lot of them will be discarded as waste too. I've seen pictures of whole warehouses filled with mining rigs. GPUs in those machines are all going to waste at some point.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
You keep using the word "hate". It's sounds childish and is inappropriate. Just because I don't like/agree/support something doesn't mean "hate" is involved. Continuing on...

That article was interesting. It's opening line is very telling;

Power that would otherwise not be used if mining didn't exist and was not being used just 5 years ago..

You were saying?
what is childish is how dead certain you are and say "its happening" without anything. That, is childish. You made it clear you don't like it. So that is your problem, not mine.

But I will not go down to your level. Enjoy your beliefs and I hope things work out well for you.

You should also read the remaining of the article.

That article talks about how huge consumer level e-waste already is. Nowhere does it mention anything about mining, so it doesn't serve as a comparison.

Of course individual miners are very small when you compare them to the whole market. But the fact that they have teams and facilities make them a whole lot bigger than individuals only wanting to play games after a hard day's work.

Waste of consumer grade stuff is a problem, that's ok. We haven't seen how big of a problem the current crypto mining boom is going to be as it only started with the current generation of graphics cards. We'll see what happens when the GeForce 40 series comes out. I guarantee that the used market will be flooded with barely working 30 series cards, and a lot of them will be discarded as waste too. I've seen pictures of whole warehouses filled with mining rigs. GPUs in those machines are all going to waste at some point.
You are aware that miners also use a lot of older GPU's, no? RX470's are still used to mine RVN and other coins.

what is childish is how dead certain you are and say "its happening" without anything. That, is childish.

But I will not go down to your level. Enjoy your beliefs and I hope things work out well for you.

You should also read the remaining of the article.
See edit...

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard