1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

getting a gtx 460 1gb tomorrow, but which brand?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Mavvs, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    you probably have a bottleneck from your Q8400. Q8400 are not gaming CPUs. those are like workstate CPU for like do stuff in word and what not

2. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    A nicely overclocked Q8400 CPU is great for gaming.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    to avoid possible bottleneck what settings should i enable in the game to eliminate it?

like using heavy AA or AF , high resolution?????

I played Metro 2033 on dx11 very high, at 1600*1200 res 2x AF, i enabled DOF as well.

it plays nicely and quiet smooth apart from rare places where im looking directly at sunlight beams when i go out first or when there is a heavy lighting my fps goes down to 15fps from like 29 or 30. other than that its quiet smooth for me.

and even on dx10 very high, its much smoother and playable than my GTS 250. but i still get heavy fps hits when im directly looking at lights on certain places. luckily those effects on rare occasions.

anyway, i returned back the card to the shop and swapped it with another GTX 460 MSI.

to eliminate any possible defect that was from card itself.

Metro 2033 is very playable at nearly max settings without AA if you are not into getting a constant 40 or 60fps in the games. like me :)

as long as i get above 25fps in my games, im happy.

4. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    idk. the lack of cache and terrible overclocking(low multi) makes me a bit hesitent on it. i for one would never recommend it to anyone for a gaming rig with a budget. that is for AMD

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    4MB of L2 cache isn't to bad, and it should still be able to get a good overclock by a nice raise in the FSB.

But i do agree that AMD is where it's at currently for the price for performance chips.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    so anyone can guide me into eliminating bottlenecks in games????? how to?

7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Generally you just want to balance out components as best as possible, if you have a $300 CPU make sure you have at least a good $300 GPU to compliment it. Now in games, you have to realize to that some games are made to utilize more of one resource then another, you find a game that's very CPU dependent, and it's going to use the CPU then any other component, and you can't do anything about that. You just want to have a balanced out system.

But really never waste your time trying to eliminate all bottlenecks within a system, there will always be some sort of bottleneck no matter what.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    this. you just got to do your research. to be truely honest. its going to be really hard to learn things about computers to the fullest if you rely off people telling you on forums.

thats the one bad thing about forums. newbies come in and ask very simple questions that could be answered by typing it on google and clicking on one of the following best links

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  9. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    u cant discuss things using google. thats what the forum is for. to ask and discuss.

for example, can u tell me how memory and CPU communicate to each other?

how video memory can communicate with games and software?

how CPU and memory communicate with windows and games?

do u know the theory behind them?

u just cant find answers to those things on google easily.

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    i know but you can easily go on google and be like gtx460 card roundup and click on the hardwarecanucks one and read the entire review. that will give you a pretty damn good idea on which gtx460 to get

now if your torn between 2 then yeah you could ask peoples opinions

11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah you can. thats all computer science that you can find on wikipedia.com

12. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, wikipedia is not a really good resource. it cant be trusted :).

anyway, when i go home i will test my new card. to see if it gives me trouble or not.

if it does, then it cant be the card. it should be my system.

13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I mean a lot of the things you're saying can be found with a quick Google search, some quick research doesn't hurt.

Sure we can tell you whats what, but it's up to you to find what you need/want. Read up on some reviews and see what's best for you.(and what you can afford)

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^ this 100%

15. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would like to upgrade my CPU but recently i upgraded from c2d E4500 to this q8400. and i will have to buy a new mobo and CPU and ram as well which is going to be very expensive.

but i plan to upgrade my case to a gaming case and also my PSU in the near future to make my system stable.

i will upgrade to this http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158&products_id=4268 and this http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=307_308&products_id=3016 most likely when i have enough money.

hopefully that PSU will be good enough :D.

16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    that would be good

17. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    how can i optimize my computer to get extra fps?

18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Making sure your drivers are up to date and overclocking can help a lot in getting extra frames in games.

But of course if you want a huge leap in performance, that's where upgrading comes in.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah.

the best way for installing drivers is to delete the current ones from control panel > restart in safe mod > driver sweeper to clean out all the bits of the driver that didnt get deleted > then restart to normal mode and reinstall the new ones

20. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Just our of curiosity, I've spent time reading the past 7 pages and still getting the feeling that things are dragging on endlessly. Thankfully you've got people here who are real patient, like cdude, intelnv and tatty. Back to the point though, are you basing the fact that you gpu is underperforming just in Just Cause 2? Have you tried other games or benchmark tools? Cause afaik, that benchmark tool has some issues. Before jumping to conclusions, I would try everything possible to see whats causing that. First, put everything back to stock. I see you're also OC'ing your cpu, are you cooling it adequately? If temps are going sky high, it'd also be a cause in slow performance. Try everything you can, clean install etc. Sitting and just hoping for a miracle idea just won't happen. Like a lot of people have said, you psu should *don't quote me on this* be fine on paper, especially since you have used it and worked fine with your uber clocked gts250. Hope that helps you and gives you the kick you need to get to the roots of the problem, if ever there is.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  21. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i tested the new MSI card and i get the same problem again. computer restarts.

so now im sure that its not the card, its my system!!!

22. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    assaulter_99: im just having a weird problem as u might know.

my computer restarts if i overclock te GPU voltage. on stock settings its fine. no restarts, but as soon as i overclock the core voltage my computer restarts. and this is with second card now.

so it cant be the card.

Edit: now i benchmarked agian on stock gpu settings, Q8400 at 2.55ghz,

just cause 2 settings: all very high, AA: 16xCSAA. AF: 16x res: 1600*1200

my fps in the first test is at 30ps average.

probably the strong point of 460 is the use of AA and AF.

at 16xCSAA and 16xAF and at 1600*1200, if i used my old GTS 250, it would probably score like 10fps.

Edit: very funny thing happened. i moved down from 16xCSAA to 4xAA and 16xAF to 2xAF and my fps only went up by 1?!!!!!!!!!!!! i averaged 31fps this time from 30fps last time!!!!!!!

shouldnt i gain way more performance moving down from 16xCSAA to 4xAA and 16XAF to 2xAF???

isnt this a sign of bottleneck???

23. gameboy116 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For 460, metro 2033 is not playable in DX11 very high for 1920x1080...........at least for me

Strange thing about metro 2033 is no matter I am getting 4x average in DX10 high setting @ full HD, it gives my dizziness the way as I still feel like I am playing at 2x fps, which is not happened in other fps with similar FPS

Sounds like I am not the one first one complaining this as I saw similar response in other forum before

24. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    its playable for me at 1600*1200 res. very high with DoF and DX11.

25. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We've already told you that your shutdowns are either from your motherboard or your power supply. Now you can either not overclock for now so you have a working system or upgrade the components people have recommended several times. This thread is just going in circles. I suggest you go back and read through everyones advice as all of the information is there to address your concerns.

CDdude55, qu4k3r, MxPhenom 216 and 2 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU