1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting new graphics card, suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by itsakjt, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, so I am finally getting a new graphics card. Budget is around Rupees 15000(250 USD approx). I am shortlisting the Sapphire R9 270X. I might have to stick to Sapphire as I have my 6770 in the service center and might talk with them and ask them whether I can pay the remaining and get something even better. The thing is I checked Sapphire website and it seems most of the R9 270X are not stated as UEFI. Are they really not UEFI complaint?
    Also, if I can choose from other manufacturers as well, which one should I buy? Please note that MSI and Gigabyte are not available in my country. Thanks for watching.

2. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
  3. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Where from are you getting all this bs info? Sapphire cards do support UEFI, and all the major brands are available - not just in India - but in Kolkata as well. Try M D Computers for the best deals in Kolkata, but keep an eye on Flipkart.com and other retailers as well. Many retailers sell MSI/Asus/Gigabyte cards in Kolkata. Check out the shops at Chandni Chowk. I suggest stay away from Snapdeal. In Mumbai there's Primeabgb.com and there are others in the south.
    What card you should buy depends on your budget and aesthetic preferences. MDC usually takes a *bit* less than what you see on their site (if you get it from their physical shop and not online). Check out these links: MDC Flipkart

4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    UEFI GOP is only needed if you want to use W8's fast boot. Even if the card doesn't have an UEFI bios all boards can boot devices in legacy mode.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire 270x Toxic has dual (UEFI + Legacy) bios and can be toggled by pressing a switch on the card. It's close to your budget and is available at M.D.Computers near Chandni Metro Station.
    Check out the product page on their site.
    dual-bios.jpg

itsakjt says thanks.
  6. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your replies. I get everything from M.D. Computers only. So yeah that will be the one then. :)
    I like to have UEFI. I reviewed an Asus R9 270X recently and it was UEFI compatible. BTW, given a choice between Asus and Sapphire, which one should I take?

7. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Don't know, man :p You could go with the Asus if you get it cheaper. It is also much smaller, so you will have more airflow in the case. Both are good, but I like the red-and-black theme of the Asus. But in all, honesty, if you are considering this almost ~17k card, why not look at the Asus 280x as well? It's a little costlier, but the performance is really what you need to feel that satisfaction in demanding titles like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 etc. The lower-end cards will run them too, but the experience will not be as good. If you don't have enough money right now, then wait and save up a little more and get the better card.

8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    True. :p But it costs 23000 Rs approx. :p

9. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Rs22,495 to be exact. Just about 5k more. That's the online price. May be they will charge less if you get it from the shop. Sapphire has some even cheaper ones, but not sure if those are uefi. Just wait up and get the 280x, man. It will be worth it.
    EDIT:
    Yes, on further inspection, the cheaper Sapphire 280x claims to be uefi-capable too.

10. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Ok I will try to get that. :p

11. TeslaK20

TeslaK20

Thanks Received:
    Two things, first, I am looking for a graphics card for CAD and Compositing (Blender, After Effects, Autodesk Maya, etc). I do not want a quadro since gaming is still important, but I care more about CAD performance. I am not sure whether to get one Geforce Titan Black or two AMD R9 290X cards in Crossfire. Please help!

Second, and more importantly, how do I start a thread of my own? I cannot seem to do it due to the fact that I cannot find a "Start a New Thread" button. And I know this is the wrong place, but A). I can't post my question in the right place, and B). this thread was last updated less than an hour ago, so I am not looking at threads dormant since 2008. Thank you!

Oh, and the Tesla K20 is the card I want but can't afford, not the one I have!

12. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    GR8 !!! Don't forget to tell us what you get ultimately, and the price too ;)

itsakjt says thanks.
  13. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Try THIS link.

14. TeslaK20

TeslaK20

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!